main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Ki-Adi Mundi's Back Story need to be Adjusted?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Ki-Adi Mundi is A Legend, One of the few Jedi with an Onscreen Speaking Roll. Lucasfilm and their subsidiaries crafted a Backstory for him that began in the Comics between TPM and AOTC.

First The Man with a Bifercated Brain is/was Married, When AOTC Came Out and Jedi Were Forbidden to Love, the Story was Adjusted to Cerean Polygamy and Mundi was Just Doin' His Bit for the Gene Pool. No Forbidden Love There.

But One of the First Items of Backstory that came out about the Bearded Conehead was that he Was a Knight not a Master, the Only Knight Currently Serving on the Council. But After ROTS we Know that Anakin Claims that his Knighthood on the Council was Unprecedented... and had Never happened in the History of the Council.

Was Anakin Mistaken? In His Arrogance and hurt had he over looked Mundi? Or has Mundi's Backstory been compromised again and need to be changed to fit the facts of the movies?

2. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Maybe Mundi was a Master by the time of ROTS? Oh, crap that does'nt work, I see what your saying. I dunno.[face_thinking]

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I think the OS now states that Mundi was now always a Master in TPM.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Was Ki-Adi's knighthood ever mentioned in the EU?

I remember one Republic comic when Ki-Adi was Anakin's default master, they talked about having a family, but I don't think they talked about Mundi being a Knight on the Council.

5. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I don't know, but I would love to learn more about his character. He sat on the right of Yoda, so he must have been important. Yet we know so little about him. I think out of any Jedi that didn't get a lot of attention in the films, he would be the one I would like to know more about more than the others. Plo Koon and Aayla Secura seem to get all the attention, and you would think Yoda's right hand guy would be the one getting the attention.

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I say Aayla Secura's cleavage deserves more attention.

7. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    His Knighthood was mentioned in the New Essential Guide to Characters. Supposedly the Council did occasionally have Knights join to give 'a voice from the trenches' sort of thing.

The simplest fix I could think of, and would go with the story would be this: Mundi was a Knight, but was promoted to Master when he ws given the Council seat. He didn't need to train a Padawan to Knighthood to earn the rank, it was bestowed upon him. Them not giving Anakin the same courtesy is uprecedented, then again, so was the way Anakin was put on the Council.

8. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002

I think Ki-Adi-Mundi was only a Jedi Knight. It wasn't unprecedented. Obi-Wan was only a Jedi Knight as well. What was unprecedented was that Anakin was the YOUNGEST Jedi to ever be on the council.

OBI-WAN: Calm down, Anakin. You have been given a great honor. To be on the Council at your age . . . It's never happened before.

9. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I think you're on the right track. I'll expand a little. Mundi was only Knight, then, for whatever reason, he was given a seat on the council, then was promoted to Master because traditionally only Masters sit on the council. You could then technically say he was the only Knight on the council, if only for a brief moment. I can see how Anakin would be upset at not getting the same treatment.

10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    It was also mentioned in "The Phantom Menace Scrapbook" that he was the only Jedi that was a Knight on the Council.

11. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I think Ki-Adi-Mundi was only a Jedi Knight. It wasn't unprecedented. Obi-Wan was only a Jedi Knight as well. What was unprecedented was that Anakin was the YOUNGEST Jedi to ever be on the council.

Nope.
    "How can you be on the council and not be a master?"
    "What kind of nonsense is this? Put me on the council and not make me a master? It's never been done in the history of the Jedi it's insulting!"

I just say oops and go on with my life.
    If you loves yourself some EU, then you have your window out. You can be a knight, get put on the council, and you're a master even by those quotes. When it came time for Anakin's promotion, they said 'screw you' which naturally pissed him off. "You're getting promoted. What? You want a raise too? Screw you, buddy!"
    Then of course, they basically told Anakin to shut up whenever he wanted to put in his two cents. I'm not excusing Anakin for anything he did, but the council wasn't exactly squeaky clean in the matter either.

12. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    The New "Complete Visual Dictionary" With the Entire Saga (plus some EU) By Rydar Windham Still Has Ki-Adi as a Knight, and that came out months after ROTS...

13. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Lucas changes his mind as he goes. So he probably hadn't had the entire idea of the Jedi when he made that backstory or he gave his guys some idea that they expanded on. Probably later he decided to do things differently, and possibly overlooked Ki-adi and/or didn't care enough.

14. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Those are pretty good points. I guess we all just have to shrug our shoulders for that one. :p

And sort of on subject: is it wrong for me to giggle when he gets riddled with blaster fire on Mygeeto? His death rivals Corpsey's.

15. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

Oh I giggle... though I roar with laughter when Trebor gets it.

hehehehehe hahahahahaha

16. danbrojr

danbrojr Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    From what I remember in the Episode I Scrapbook, Ki-Adi Mundi, Jedi KNIGHT, was placed on the council because the second heart in his head provides a lot of extra blood to his brain, increasing his brain power significantly, giving him great power and insight in the force.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

17. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

I dunno if you're wrong but I hope you're wrong, about the brain thing.

18. garyTHX

garyTHX Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    Nevermind those silly comics, they mean nothing. Its the movies that count. I take it these stories about Ki Adi Mundi came out AFTER Episode I, in which case its the stories which are wrong, they'll try anything to glamourise background characters, even contradict the movies.

19. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Things are fine how they are. Nothing needs to be fixed. Even if I didn't know Ki-Adi's background, I'd assume that Anakin was exaggerating a bit in the film. He's ticked off that he isn't a master... so he's bound to exaggerate things beyond the exact truth.

Thus, Ki-Adi could have been a knight for a period of time while being on the Council, but promoted to Master later on. Anakin would still be upset about it, of course, because he wanted to be a master.

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Consider this strike one in the whole Canon debate.

21. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Also his voice chnages evrey single line n evrey movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.