main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Leia Remember Her Real Mother?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by slimybug, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    When Luke and Leia were talking about her mother in ROTJ, they WERE talking about Padme. It is impossible to percieve it any other way, such as that she was talking about her adoptive mother, and didn't know she was adopted, for one simple freaking reason: Lukes says, and I know this is a hard concept for many of you to understand, but try real hard, "your REAL mother?" Why the hell would he have said that if...Oh foorget it, some people are just hopeless! I swear, I still can't belive there were ever people who thought that Sidious an dPalpatine were two separate people! I mean , weren't human beings ordained with better genes than that?

Alright, I've got that out of my system. Phew!

Slimy!

Edited the title. :)

2. poisoncow

poisoncow Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    i agree entirely, your real mother does not infer bail's second wife, or whatever people are projecting now

*side note* while watching ESB today, after luke has his vision of bespin, yoda explains that one can see BOTH the future and past using the force. I dont think its a stretch to assume that Leia using the force unknowingly (luke does say in ROTJ, she also has the ability to use the force) saw visions of Padme from the past.

3. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    please see my thread entitled leia's open eyes

4. The_Little_Red_Jedi

The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    People are going to argue about this until either Lucas changes something, or the World is destroyed etc.

The simplest realistic explanation is that those strong with the Force have pefect memory for "feelings", possibly augmented by visuals.

Leia did have her eyes open, and Luke didn't. Therefore, Leia can remember her.

It's just like when we remember something from our distant childhood, it seems vague and is more 'emotion' based. Just like Yoda says, about the future being emotional.

My guess also, is that Luke saw Yoda at some point, which explains his familiar feelings when he arrived on Dagobah.

But, like I say, people will discuss this forever, so...

5. Buck_Skywalker

Buck_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    Just a quick little correction to that last post:

Yoda doesn't say that the future is emotion, he says "always in motion is the future". In other words, it can be changed.

Just a common misconception about what Yoda says in ESB.

6. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I agree wholeheartedly. Why would Luke want to know about Mrs. Organa anyway. Even if it wasn't spelled out for us, which it is, of course Luke means he wants to know about the mother that they share. IMHO, this is such a non-issue and people really need to focus on why they don't understand that Syfo-dias was just simply murdered by either Maul, Sidious or Tyrannus and then had his name used...but that's pretty off topic.

7. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Bottom line, it makes no sense.

8. Solo_So_Low

Solo_So_Low Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    look Leia says she remembers IMAGES and FEELINGS! ok??? 1. her mother was a QUEEN and a SENATOR! dont you think there would have been photographs of her somewhere in Leias life! also Bail would have told her about Padme. and as for the feelings, Leia is strong with the force. NOW FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. The_Little_Red_Jedi

The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Ah right, Buck_Skywalker. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The line did make sense to me, but never mind.

10. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Solo_So_Low, if don't have any constructive to post, don't post.

11. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    It IS possible for Leia to remember Padme.

I remember things that happened to me when I was less than a month old, even less than a week old. I didn't see any photographs, or imagine it. I've just always remebered it, and when I would tell my parents about it, they were surprised because I remembered the things, exactly as they had happened. I can still remeber those things. And oddly, it's just how Leia described it. Images, not moving but frozen in time, Feelings, just very simple feelings. It's weird, thinking about it now.

It IS possible for Leia to remember Padme.

12. Boba-Frapp

Boba-Frapp Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Please don't take this a personal attack but I'm pretty sure its impossiable to have any memories that early in life. Back on topic, Leia probally only has memories of her adoptive mother who died early in her life. To protect her, Bail probally didn't tell her about her real mother.

13. Yogut

Yogut Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    No, she remembers Bail's wife. She doesn't know that she is Luke's sister until later in the conversation.

Besides, no one remembers when they were born.

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Last time I checked this was Star Wars, not real life. Anything can happen. It's fantasty. Therefore, it's entirely plausible that Leia remembers Padme, and not the Queen of Alderaan. It wouldn't make sense storywise, as that whole scene would be pointless if they're talking about an old hag that we've only seen once in the entire saga.

15. Boba-Frapp

Boba-Frapp Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
  16. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    It just infers that Leia has a connection to Padme through the force.

17. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    ^^Let's just go with that.^^

18. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    It makes sense that Leia would remember Padmé and not her adoptive mother as this was Lucas's original intention (See "The Annotated Screenplays"). What doesn't make sense after seeing ROTS is that Luke wouldn't remember her.

19. cygnusdrache

cygnusdrache Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    I am 100% certain this is how Leia remembers her REAL mother:

images and feelings - I think Leia had Force induced visions of her mother when she was a small child (between ages 2 and 4). Because of her age at the time she was never able to discern that they were visions, rather than actual reality.

Try to recall your earliest memories, and what do they consist of? Mine actually are dreams I had as a child, not actual events... How do I know this? Because there is no such thing as King Kong - and he did not steal me and take me to the desert, and there were not really trolls living underneath my slide. Had these dreams not been of a fantastical nature, then I might not be able to tell if they were dreams or reality, some of my memories may well be dreams and I just don't realize it - though I'm fairly certain they played "The Way We Were" during the slide show at my grandparents 50th Anniversary party :)

20. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Leia wasn't trained in the Force, but it doesn't mean she couldn't use it subconsciously, much as Anakin did when he was podracing. The references to their real mother (as opposed to her adoptive mother or aunt Beru) are very obvious, especially now in hindsight. Besides, Luke felt the Force was strong in Leia (which begs the question why Vader didn't, but that's been dealt with in several other threads).

21. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    this is actually something that i'd like Lucas to clear up, since this is one of the more obvious plotholes in the saga-- heck even the casual movie-goer remembers that Leia has memories of her mother.

and i agree with you guys that Leia's memories are of her real mother-- Padme, rather than of the Queen of Alderaan. Luke emphasized "real", and Lucas kept that, so i dont even know where the heck people are getting the idea that Leia was deceived into thinking that her the Queen of Alderaan is her birth mother.

although, IIRC, didnt Lucas say that he'll tweak something in RTOJ specifically that conversation between Luke and Leia so that it follows the continuity of the PTs? now i'm not saying its another time to panic, but this whole Leia remembers her real/ adoptive mother may be something that will still change. optimistically maybe all he'll tweak is that line where Leia says "...she died when i was a baby" instead of ".... she died when i was very young". 2 words, 3 syllables, should be very easy to tweak that. pessimistically though, Lucas may excise Luke's line "your REAL mother" and just stop with "Do you remember your mother?" so when Leia says that her mother died when she was very young, that could very well be the Queen of Alderaan. that would suck of course and would turn a very poignant scene that links the twins of the OTs to their great mother of the PTs into nothing more than a mockery.

22. Gamebird

Gamebird Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I have met people who claim to remember their own birth. I have always regarded that as very strange, as my own memories don't go back further than 4 years old. My husband claims to remember things that happened when he was 1. Maybe true, maybe not. But one thing I don't doubt is the sincerity with which these people believe this.

Star Wars is set in another galaxy, with different laws of physics and a mystical Force that binds all things together. Leia is strong with the Force. The Force allows people to have visions of the past and future. It seems to me reasonable that maybe in *that* galaxy, that people with Force powers can sometimes remember their birth. After all, in *this* galaxy, here on Earth, we have plenty of people claiming the same thing. Not a lot of people, but enough.

23. Panaka_kicked_Padme

Panaka_kicked_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    NO that whole thing about them being connected with the force is wrong. Padme has no jedi qualities . Anakin did. She must of had visions of padme just as anakin did in ROTS. Padme wasnt connected with her.

24. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    It dopesn't matter if Padme was gifted in The Force or not. Leia was, and Padme was her mother.

Slimy!

25. PadmesDaughter

PadmesDaughter Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    It doesn't matter, it is obviously a mistake, clearly GL decided when writing the PT he needed Padme to die in childbirth even if it didn't match that dialogue. Me, I was waiting for Padme NOT to die in childbirth (specifically because of this dialogue) and for Anakin's vision to be wrong, making his turning to the dark side to save her even more of a cruel irony.

"She died when I was very young..." (LIKE, 6 SECONDS OLD.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.