main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Lucas hate the Darth Maul character?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whaleman

Whaleman Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Maybe if he had some more lines, but I think he said only 2 full lines of dialogue. His fighting was awesome for sure. But other than the two fights he wasn't given anything else to do. I would have preferred to see more of him than an hour long podrace.

2. joeypstyle

joeypstyle Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    no character shouldve spoken in TPM besides maul. infact they should make him a motor mouth and no one else in the movie gets the chance to speak. and if they try to he'd kill them.

then we can all be like man, he shouldve just been mysterious with little speaking parts!

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I don't think he hates him, but he probably can't understand why fans love his "minor" characters so much.

If he does, he's not alone. I've never understood the fascination with either Boba Fett or Darth Maul, or the complaints about how they were too cool to kill off so soon.

4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I am a big Dooku fan and I think his Charctor is good for a Sith Lord and he has a better story line too.

5. E107_Theta

E107_Theta Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    One common trend in the prequels is that each one contains a "throw-away" badguy, whoose main purpose is less important to the plot as say, Darth Vader or Sidious, but is there mainly for action sequences.

Episode I: Darth Maul
    Episode II: Jango Fett
    Episode III: General Grevious

Only Fett really plays a large role in the plot, and all three are introduced and killed in the same film. I think after he killed off Darth Maul and Boba Fett prematurely, Lucas actually tried to make some fan favorites on purpose by making them kinda similar to Maul and Boba. Still, Jango and Grevious never really lived up to the starndard Boba and Maul did, and by trying to make a "fan favorite" on purpose, he set them up for failure.

Another type of "throw-away" bad guy thats more previlent in the original trilogy, one who doesn't really do that much fighting, but affects the plot more. They normally take the roles of ugly old guys. These guys aren't really "badass" but are more "mustashe-triwling" villians who bring a more ruthless reason than Vader's randomly cutting people up. Still, Episode V doesn't really have a true throwaway baddie, and Piette and Lando are the closest things you can get.

Episode II-III: Count Dooku
    Episode IV: Tarkin
    Episode V-VI: Piette (this one is pushing it a little... he had a fairly minor role)
    Episode V: Lando! (This one is also really pushing it, as Lando wasn't really, totally evil, and he becomes good in the end)
    Episode VI: Palpatine \ Sidious (well, he was a "throw-away" at the time anyway, before the prequels)

The last couple throw-away baddies are fairly misc., but the ones that dont follow a formula wind up very popular:

Episode V-VI: Boba Fett
    Episode VI: Jabba

And finally, the only bad guys who remain consistantly in the saga. These guys are not introduced and thrown away, are hugely important regarding the storyline, the real antagonists of the saga, and the baddies that really matter...:

Episodes I-III, V-VI: Emperor Palpatine \ Sidious
    Episodes III-VI: Darth Vader

6. Darth_Masticator

Darth_Masticator Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    If the rancor is a villian, you'll have to mention the reek, the nexu, the acklay, the sando aqua monster, the opee sea killer, the colo claw fish, the sarlacc, the dianogah, the space worm and the wampa too

don't forget the mynocks :)

7. plo_koon_forever

plo_koon_forever Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    anyone else think dooku should have been in the first and maul in the 2 and 3?

8. r_jayz

r_jayz Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    if he would just drop the lightsaber in obi-wans face when he was clinging for his life, maul would've lived through the next few eps... obi-wan wasn't that strong at that time, he just got lucky while maul was playing with him....

9. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    Maul did get a reference in ROTS.

It's when Anakin meets Palpatine at the opera palace and learns of Grievous' location. Anakin says "At last ... and he even sounds a bit like Maul when he says it.

To me, this was a clear parallel/reference to Maul.

10. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Though the idea of having Maul is a nice one the whole story would have to be different to accomodate him.

Would we have Dooku as a genuine seperatist leader out to overthrow the republic with no ties to the sith? this would weaken many aspects of the story. Or would he be in cahoots with the Sith with the intentions of overthrowing them? It certainly wouldn't harm the Dooku character but I don't really like the idea as far as the whole story goes.

Maul couldn't have been the seperatist leader; he's not exactly charismatic and approachable.

Maul V Anakin would have been cool on The invisible Hand.

It could have been made to work but ir wasn't. That's that.

I think the story went how it best could though in a logistical and dramatic sense ad served to strengthen Obi-Wan and Palpatine's characters.

11. StarWarsFanSince1977

StarWarsFanSince1977 Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    My theories on the Darth Maul extermination in TPM:

I feel it would've been better to have Darth Maul in Episodes I & II, and in the first part of III. Rather than Count Dukoo (which for me was a very boring character), it would've been better to revolve the story around the sith with Sidious and Darth Maul, then have Anakin behead Darth Maul instead of Dooku. It would've made his transformation a little more sinister and meaningful. Killing a TRUE sith lord, rather than Count Dooku (a sympathizer trained as a Sith rather than a true Sith Lord like Darth Maul) would've been more fun to get into.

Imagine Darth Maul fighting Yoda rather than Count Dooku...that would've been a killer pair-up for battle with lightsabers! Especially if they brought Darth Maul back with another double bladed lightsaber.

After all, they hyped Episode I all over the map with Darth Maul's likeness and then he only was in 6 minutes of film with only 4 lines. Seems like a waste if you ask me, and Count Dooku was just not all that interesting to me. I was waiting for him to get into a black cape, transform back into Dracula, and bite Padme or Anakin on the neck or something. But that's my take on it.

Darth Maul would've been the better bet to keep through the three prequels. He could've done so much more in terms of story progression. But that's just me.

12. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    So you think Nute gunray should have headed the Confederacy with Maul keeping an eye on them?

Maul could have made a good villain over all 3 episodes I guess, but I like the Dooku character too.

In II I'd have had Maul V Mace instead of Yoda. That woulda been good.

13. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    "If the rancor is a villian, you'll have to mention the reek, the nexu, the acklay, the sando aqua monster, the opee sea killer, the colo claw fish, the sarlacc, the dianogah, the space worm and the wampa too"

Don't forget the dragonsnake.

Anyways, I personally found Dooku to be just fine. During the hangar fight, I was like "**** they just can't beat this guy! How are they going to get out of this one?" He seems the most human of the 4 Sith. Which is a dumb thing to say in AGFFA, but I mean humans can relate to him better.

Not to bash anyone here, but I believe many Maul and Boba fans just like them because they looked cool. At first, that is. Boba did little to back up his looks, but Maul definitely delivered. I wouldn't have minded one or two taunting-lines while he was fighting the Jedi, but otherwise I'm cool with Maul.

14. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Maul is a joke!

Vader=Teh Bad@$$ :cool:

15. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Why would he hate something he created and used in his film. Maul is killed off to serve the purpose of the story. Maul must die to motivate Sidious to find and train a new apprentice. "...we shall watch your career with great interest." That's the point in which Anakin begins getting manipulated in his Jedi Training. Had Maul lived and then eventually fought Anakin later like many would have liked, then Anakin would have never turned in the first place. His training would have been focused and his issue with attachment may have been dealt with years before the events in AOTC. Maul's death is about motivation for Sidious so that he would be an established mentor for Anakin by the time we see them walk together in AOTC. It has nothing to do with some idea that Lucas hates a character that he himself invented and then authorised for his film.

16. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    I would have rather had Maul than Grievous.

I'm sorry to say it, that although Grievous was a cool character--he was really of no great importance.

17. Aeneas_Falco

Aeneas_Falco Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    No, because Darth Vader was a much cooler villain than Darth Maul...and I'll bet if there was a poll the majority of fans would vote that way. Darth Vader had the better lines and was much more cunning & evil than Maul. Maul just had the best looking lightsaber fight. (because the actor playing him was a martial artist, and special effects technology had improved)

Darth Maul is also weaker than Darth Vader. He was defeated by Obi Wan Kenobi when he was still a padawan. Darth Vader would have crushed Kenobi as a padawan.

18. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't think he hates Maul. He wouldn't have pushed him so hard in advertising TPM if he had. I think he just understands that he's a "better to burn out than fade away" type of guy who was always destined to make a big impact in a short time, but not have the depth of character to last for long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.