main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Lucas really own "droids" ? ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Excellence, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Looking up what Battletech series, I was surprised to learn Lucas holds copyright on the term droid. They couldn't call it initially BattleDroids. Is this truly so? I have seen droids used in countless books. Even if it's merely an abbreviation for android, the way Pop is short for Poppins? Doctor Who, Farscape and Stargate are recent programs to speak the holy word.

2. Methodical

Methodical Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    This is true. IIRC, he got mentioned in the credits for The Incredibles because of the 'Omnidroid.' People do seem to use the word a lot though, maybe it's not something he goes after very fiercely. Maybe George is just standing up for droid rights.

"Well, if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?"

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    My guess is because it was a pixar movie and because Disney and Lucas cooperate a bit...I would hope it was a gesture and nothing fiercely imposed.

There are a ton of things in pop culture at large that make me cringe because I can see the subtle star wars references in them...I always wonder if it's being monitored by LFL or not.

"I think George Lucas is gonna sue somebody." Chris Rock in "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back"

4. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Ripley also uses the term "droid" in Alien 3

5. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    You can't copyright a word. "Droid" is a trademark, as LFL shows the tendency to trademark every single kriffing word they invent.

6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Well, the did have a cartoon series by the name, and comic books and action figures.

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Copyright Person: How long have you owned these droids?

Rick McCallum: About two or three decades.

George Lucas: They're up for sale, if you want them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.