main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Lucasfilm fund external filmmakers?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by 4DM, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4DM

4DM Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2003
    Like the studios? Or is it just GL making his own films? If so how do you get in contact with them to maybe produce a film? Maybe I can get my films financed by Lucasfilm. I don't think I have much of a chance with the studios... Or I wonder if I can get some financial support from GL for business ventures so that I can use the profits from that to finance my own films instead of getting it all from GL... I'm just asking. GL has lots of money, and I think he'd be interested in investing some of it, if the idea is feasable.

2. 4DM

May 29, 2003
    I am serious about this. GL would love my movies. I just have to find a way to contact him. The force is with us...

3. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I can't help you, but what are some of your stories about? :)

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    The mistake you are doing is that you think Lucasfilm is like a regular film studio. It's actually a producion house, which develops projects, just like Amblin did for Spielberg, Imagine for Ron Howard or Lightstorm for Jim Cameron.

Lucasfilm is for developing projects that Lucas wil either direct or produce. As such he has to sell them to studios. No problem with Star Wars, but after the prequels he would still have to sell his next film to some studio or get a development deal.

Lucasfilm doesn't accept unsolicited scripts. If anything you would need an agent or maybe do something like Troops or a good film at Sundance to catch their eye. You could always work or intern there and try to work it through.

He does invest his money, after all he is paying for the prequels and finances stuff like his Educational Foundation and Lucas Learning, plus paying for the Letterman Digital Complex where ILM and LucasArts will move in 2005. It's not like he is sitting on piles of his money.

5. 4DM

May 29, 2003
    What are my stories about? Aliens, cyborgs, teenagers, monsters, companies, mad scientists, ghosts.... you know, the usual.

6. 4DM

May 29, 2003
    Actually I would classify my movies as UNUSUAL. ie. not formulaic studio movies. Slowly I add things to the plot, I don't know where I get the ideas from, maybe it's like using the Force, feeling, instead of thinking. A couple are pretty ambitious as Star Wars is and may sound crazy. That's why I think GL would give me a break, cause he understands Star Wars like movies since he made some himself. The studios would shut the door on me, like Star Wars was many times before someone gave GL a break. Anyhow, I think all my movies have a common thread of vision, which I call Ultraworld vision - urban, fururistic, somewhat minimalist which I think makes them special and unique.

7. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Unusual is good. I'd forget about Lucas film and try and contact small production companines that do want outside stories. Perhaps a company like Full Moon that does stories about fun things like robots and puppets killing people. Or FineLine Pictures, or New Line.

8. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Or just make a movie and submit it to festivals. There are even movies shot on video that get notoriety at festivals from time to time. Just look at Robert Rodriguez, you could always read his book "Rebel Without a Crew". And if not there's always the Internet, like "Troops", "Duality" or "405: The Movie" took off.

9. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    GL does mentor individuals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.