main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Luke use a Force choke and other RotJ questions

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandmaidenEirtae

HandmaidenEirtae Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2001
    I was watching RotJ again today, and a couple questions rose to my mind. I was hoping someone would be able to answer them for me.

1) Does Luke use a Force choke on the guards in Jabba's palace? It looks like one of them is reaching for his throat as he stumbles back. Isn't that more of a Dark Jedi trick?

2) How did the Ewoks have clothes that fit Leia? ?[face_plain]

3) When Leia tried to go to Han and Luke and Chewie in the Ewok village, the Ewoks raised their spears. Was that to "protect" her from them or to prevent her from freeing them?

4) What makeup did they use on Ian to make him Palpatine? He has these awful lumps above his eyes.... *shiver*

I think I had one more, but I've forgotten it. I'll post it if I remember. Thanks for any help!

~Eirtae

2. Alybrylla

Alybrylla Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    1) Sure looks like it to me.

2) Erm... when was that kid from the Ewok movies on Endor? If it was before ROTJ, then that might explain it, but if not... someone in that village is very good and very quick at sewing. :p

3) I always thought that it was to prevent her from freeing them.

4) No clue.

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    1). Yup, I've always thought it was a Force choke. Chalk it up to Luke getting closer to the Dark Side.

2). It kinda looks stiched together. I guess those little bears are pretty good with a needle and thread.

3). They seemed to tolorate Leia, and even had fun with her clothes and hair, but they didn't want her messing up the tribute to the Golden God ;)

4). Rubber prosthetic makeup. Basically, several lumps of rubber pasted/glued onto Ian's face, then with layers of makeup and so on applied on top.

I've always loved a quote from Ian when he saw himself in ROTJ again recently - "My God! There's such a young man under all that!" :)

4. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    1. I think Luke is using the force calm technique on the gaurds(the same technique Qui-Gon used on Jar Jar inside the bongo). The gaurds would have fell to the ground if they were choking and plus, Luke would never use a darkside trait like the force choke knowing that he would become what his father is.

2.They stitched some clothing together so it would fit Leia.

3. To prevent her from disrupting 3P0's banquet and freeing Luke, Han, Chewy, and R2.

4. What DamonD said.

5. Obi-Zon_Genobi

Obi-Zon_Genobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    1.I also thought a was a weak version of the force choke,so weak it wouldn't kill them but, strong enough to shock them
    2.The ewoks made it right then and there?
    3.To prevent her from freeing them
    4.What they said

6. The Lurker

The Lurker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 1999
    1) Yes.

2) Quick taylors?

3) To prevent her from freeing them.

4) No clue.

perhaps the chaps in the OT forums would have some good input on these?

7. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    1)I believe Luke uses a Force choke, but I don't think it's use is limited to the Sith. Luke used it in self defense, to subdue, not to kill, like Vader.

2) I beleive that Leia's dress is her own, not the Ewoks'. I guess the changing of outfits is something she got from her mother. :)

3) They didn't want Leia to interfere with their ceremony.

4) No clue.

8. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    As to the Force choke question, it can't be a Dark Jedi power, Dark Jedi were invented after ROTJ was released, so Force Choke can be both a Jei or Sith power. Dark Jedi sucks. EU sucks. According to the EU, choke is a Dark-side power, yet it was used in ROTJ as just a Force Power, therefore the EU is wrong in this case, which means it is not recognisd in the offcial timeline.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    1) Vader always attacks (pretty much unprovoked) and kills with the choke move where Luke uses it in defence (like Yoda says to) to knock his victims unconcious through lack of oxygen. I think there's a pretty big difference between unconcious and dead ;)

2) They sitched 15 normal-sized Ewok head-scarves together? ?[face_plain]

3) Was C-3P0 near them in his throne/chair at that point? They may have been stepping in to stop Leia getting near him as well as Han and the rest....they seem pretty protective of goldenrod.

4) I'd say it was a thin layer of latex with performing make-up over the top. Not 100% sure though.

:)

Edit: And I'm going to disagree with Guff's EU crack. I like EU well enough. Some of it is pretty innovative and thought provoking sci-fi, not just hack SW stuff. Not to start an EU/Canon war but I think you should get to know the term "In My Opinion", Guff...it will save you a whole lot of grief ;)

10. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    Luke didn't use Force Grip (Choke). You should have taken this topic to the Classic Trilogy Forum.

11. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    1.) He used Force Choke defensivly, not aggresively. Look at it this way: Dooku used the Force to move a large pillar to drop on Obi-Wan/Anakin (aggresively), while Yoda used the Force to move the large pillar away (defensivly). See? Same use of the Force, different ways of using it. I think a popular misconception is that there are clear cut "powers" for Jedi, Sith, Dark Jedi, etc. that each one is allowed to use. Theoretically, Jedi can use Sith powers, Sith can use Jedi powers, etc. Yet they choose not to for obvious reasons (Jedi don't want to aggresively use Force Lightning, while Sith don't want to use the Force to calm others down). I will stop there, since this is not a debate on that subject. :) :p

2.) If she didn't have an extra, I'm sure a group of Ewok women would have sewed her one right then and there. ;)

3.) They liked Leia, but not as much as old Goldenrod over there on the throne. They were making sure his ceremonial dinner was cooked to a crisp... ;)

4.) Rubber pieces that fit into place on his face, overlapped by makeup. I could be wrong, so you would have to check with those Costumers over in the Costume forum. :) :p

I also agree that you should have moved this to the OT section. You would get alot more feedback and more accurate answers from people that are "experts" and probably know those questions already. ;)

12. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Ahhhh, so that what IMO means, I was always too embarrased to ask [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.