main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Does Obi-Wan die before he has ever been intimate with a woman?"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by HaydenSeek, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaydenSeek

HaydenSeek Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2003

I was wondering what people thought about the role of the Jedi Knights and their view of the celebate lifestyle.
    It has come to my attention and to the attention of others that Obi-Wan has never been intimate with a woman.
    Much like the priesthood, the monks in Nepal, holy people and other religious leaders who remain celebate.

However, does this change the perception that you have of Obi-Wan?
    Do you feel that after the clone wars and when he becomes a General that he should explore his sexual urges?
    Does anyone feel that he may have had a girlfriend or wife during his years between the PT and the OT?
    After all he has no reason to remain a Jedi Knight, that practice is outlawed.

So what do you feel he would do.

Should we assume that he will remain patient like Yoda?
    Should we think that he is more human and endulges in the pleasures of the flesh?

What is your opinion?

2. Wald Balfed Your Mother

Wald Balfed Your Mother Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    I'm sure the Jedi Order doesn't encourage the consumption of alcohol either... ;)

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I think Obi-Wan may have changed views after the fall of the Jedi. Many long years in the Tatooine suns make a man thrist for more than a drink.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The Jedi aren't celebate. Attachment is forbidden, but GL himself said they could have sex.

5. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    That's what I thought, does that mean the the term "Jedi Business" has an alternate meaning?

6. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Obi-Wan isn't a virgin, the ANH novelization confirms that. Read carefully the part where he battles Vader- it says that to him "dying was just another part of life, like eating, drinking, or making love"... something along those lines. And since this hasn't been de-confirmed by the movies in any way (they never say the Jedi are celibate, just not allowed to marry to prevent attachments) it's presumably true.

7. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Yea, I always thought that Jedis can have sex but are not allowed to fall in love. So I guess they can have a one night stand with a woman they meet at a cantina on the weekend.

8. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I have a strange thought that our friend Obi-Wan was a bit of a drinker and ladies man.

He could have been intimate,but it's a tough call. Attachments are one thing relationships are another.

I believe that GL can't give a real answer to this because it the Jedi were allowed to be intimate but not have relationships that would mean that they would be doing the deed and hauling afterwords.

Perhaps Anakin and Obi-Wan were reckless and did such a thing.

I could see it now... late afternoon.

Obi-Wan: Hello young miss, beautiful day.

Peasant girl: Yes, it is.

Obi-Wan: Have you seen my droids.

Peasant girl: No, what kind of droids are they?

Obi-Wan: It doesn't matter. Say, can you give me a place to stay. (Waves his hand)

Peasant girl: Sure, I can give you place to stay.

Obi-Wan: I need a comfortable bed. (Waves his hand) I'll sleep in your room

Peasant girl: Sure, you can sleep in my room.

Obi-Wan: But first you'll make me dinner (waves hand again)

Peasant girl: I'll make you Twi'lek soup.

Obi-Wan: No salt (waves hand) Then we can have a candle light bubble-bath.

Peasant girl: Then we can have a candle light bubble-bath.

Obi-Wan: I'd like a drink (waves hand) some of your best beverage

Peasant girl: I'll give you the good stuff.

Obi-Wan: Then we can spend the night together (waves hand).

Peasant girl: Sure, but there is something I have to tell you. (removes hood and shows face) I'm a sith witch!!!

9. Sith-Mullet

Aug 2, 2003
    So that could mean that Shmi was conceived by a Jedi / Sith and have no recollection of it.

I have reason to believe that Dooku or Palpatine is behind this "virgin birth."

10. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    you know that Obi-Wan wasn't really going "for a drink"

11. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003

Do female Jawas count? [face_mischief]

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yea, I always thought that Jedis can have sex but are not allowed to fall in love. So I guess they can have a one night stand with a woman they meet at a cantina on the weekend.

Well, I suppose so. :p But I figured the reason Jedi weren't celibate was so they could have festivals for producing children like in Plato's Republic.

13. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I think Kenobi dies a virgin.
    I know that is sad news but he was a very serious Jedi and yet he did not have time to fool around with any females.

14. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I know that is sad news but he was a very serious Jedi and yet he did not have time to fool around with any females.

...which is why the Jedi had "extended" training classes. [face_mischief] :p

15. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Its interesting that Lucas apparently confirmed that Jedi could have physical relationships, but are simply not allowed to form attachments.

So by that rationale a Jedi could "whore" around and hide behind the shield of the Jedi code to protect themselves from responsibility.

A shotgun wedding crashed by a Jedi taskforce...

Obi-Wan;

"So I got her pregnant, I can't marry her-"

Moral the Hutt;

"Enchu die wonga!"
    *Subtitle* "Proceed with the wedding!"

Mace;

"This courtings over!" *Draws saber on the priest*

:p

16. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I don't believe that the Jedi are not celibate because we don't see any one of them(aside from Anakin) making out with a person of their opposite sex and plus Lucas is making them out to be hypocrites for having sex with someone and then not show any feelings for that person.

I think that they are celibate and that Obi-wan does die before he can be intimate with a woman.

17. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

If you read the novels after rotj Han teases Luke about his lack of women friends and asks 'What would old Obi Wan Kenobi would have done. Little Jedi knights had to come from somewhere?"
    Luke replies that he didn't know Ben long enough to know, since nothing of the old Jedi order has been saved.

18. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Maybe they have breeding programs similar to the ones of Bene Gesseritt (spelling?) of the Dune Novels? However I find the idea coldhearted, and too "material", compared to the spiritual teachings of the Jedi.

My impression from Phantom Menace is that when a Jedi-potential is born, the Jedi Order would be informed, and the child would be put under their care.

19. Sith-Mullet

Aug 2, 2003
    I agree with PMT99... Lucas is making them out to be hypocrites for having sex with someone and then not show any feelings for that person.

So who is worse the Sith or the Jedi?

Who is more corrupt?

If the Sith are evil they are true to their nature.

But if the Jedi are "defenders of the peace" and getting "a piece" from time-to-time that is just wrong.

I seem to think we will distrust the Jedi more now that ever.

Perhaps the removal of the Jedi is a cleansing of sorts.

20. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Maybe they share the female Jedi for that - not choosing one but everyone uses all of them.

21. Sith-Mullet

Aug 2, 2003
    No, it doesn't work that way. Humans can only reproduce with other humans, troydarians whith their kind, Mon Calamari with their kind and so on.

That is why the Jedi rely on doing midiclorian counts for children born into the republic. So that they can get fresh recruits.

Having a rites of spring like the Plato idea is a logical thought but I don't see Lucas using that idea for the reasons mentiond above.

Besides the female Jedi are out defending the republic with the male Jedi.

I sure hope that we don't see some estuary where the pregnant female Jedi go to produce children. It would look sexist and chauvanistic.

22. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    I think Lucas's view (and our view) of the Jedi changed a great deal since ANH. For example, it's never mentioned that Anakin having chidren (and getting married before that) was something forbidden. Not even in ROTJ, when OB1 is explaining to Luke how he and Leia had to be separated and hidden he says that their birth was something extraordinary. All what people say is the fact that Anakin moved to the Dark Side, but there's no mention of him breaking any jedi law by getting married and having children.

From the OT, I always thought that it was something normal for a Jedi to do that. They were warriors, not monks. I think with time and the fact that the Force became some kind of religion with the fans, the Jedi became this kind of zen figure, buddist monks or something. There's a lot of japanese philosophy behind the Jedi, but they could be compared to the samurai, not to monks. The samurai belonged to the warrior class and they could get married, have kids (and have sex with other women).

Ok, Yoda is some kind of a monk, and OB1, I guess, had a lot to deal with in his life and didn't have time to meet anyone (except Padme, hehehe...remember the rumors of a love triangle?). But I always thought, before this whole "forbidden love" thing, that the Jedi were like any other normal people, only they had a greater control over the Force and were warriors.

Should we assume that he will remain patient like Yoda? <<<< LOL! :D

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I agree with PMT99... Lucas is making them out to be hypocrites for having sex with someone and then not show any feelings for that person.

What if they don't have any feelings for the person? I don't think Jedi are supposed to feel much personally. They should be so attuned to the living Force that they only get strong feelings from things like the destruction of Alderaan.

24. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Feelings like love might distract them when doing their work. That's the price to pay for helping keep the galaxy quiet. *sigh* So sad, especially that you can't just wish those feelings away.

25. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    You know...this thread could go hand-in-hand with the Why does Obi-Wan's lightsaber keep shorting out in ANH? thread. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.