main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Obi-Wan Ever See Masked Vader?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stormcloud8, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Vader felt Obi-Wan was on the Death Star, so he knew he was there, so I think, it was pretty much the same way for Obi-Wan. (of course, now I have to rewatch that whole scene when I get the chance to). remember, they were padawan and master. even with the suit, i'm sure obi-wan knew or felt it was his former padawan in there.

what makes you all think the empire even allowed news casting about former jedi turned sith lord, working for the emporer? it sounds really silly and completely far fetched to me.

also, you have to consider that the empire is a type of dictatorship over the galaxy and in dictatorships, news that could reflect badly on the empire would not be released to the general public. most likely, there was a lot of censorship in the galaxy where the empire was concerned.

~aeryn

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I agree with aeryn. I doubt the Empire had news programs and media. I'm sure that once Palpatine assumed total control, he shut down the media and the press. Darth Vader was probably known throughout the galaxy by reputation alone, stories passed on from person to person. There may have been stories told about what he looked like, but I highly doubt there are news agencies in the Empire with film clips and pictures. And I know for certain that Darth Vader wouldn't be posing for photos.

3. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    And I know for certain that Darth Vader wouldn't be posing for photos.

[face_laugh] No, I don't think he would either but if he did, it would be really funny and an interesting photo shoot, I think. [face_laugh]

~aeryn

4. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    ^ I would hate to be the photogapher that gets his bad side. [face_laugh]

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    "Now give me naughty, Darth. YES! YES! NO! NO! YES! Fabulous!"

"Now show me your Dark Side, baby! YES! NO! YES! YES! Now a little tiger's paw! YES! *gasp* *choke* That's a wrap, Lord Vader."

6. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    GARTH_MAUL,

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

~aeryn

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think it would actually be better if Kenobi DIDN'T see Darth Vader as Darth Vader - mask and all...it will add more to the mystery of his relationship with vader as apposed to Anakin.

YES, he DOES recognize him in Ep. IV, but it's probably more cos He senses that it is Anakin, or at least WAS anakin, and recognizes him that way. Cos that's how Vader recognized him at first, why not the other way around?

Also, remember, when Vader fought him in Ep. IV, he said it was the first time he saw him since he was as you could say "with him."

I think Obi-Wan should know OF Anakin's fate, but not SEE it...I think that would be a lot more powerful.

8. USTommie

USTommie Jedi Master star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    I would think Obi-wan had seen him before the duel in ANH. His explanation of Anakin's "death" by Darth Vader's hand certainly leads credence to the fact he has seen Vader after the transformation, but that dialogue could certainly be interpreted differently. I think what it really depends on is when Anakin takes/is given the name Darth Vader. Why?
    If Anakin takes his new name before The Duel, Obi-wan will clearly know who this Vader person is that everyone's talking about. It could also be another excuse for him hiding out on Tatooine. After beating Anakin in The Duel and finding out he somehow survived the butt whooping, Obi-wan probably wants to make himself as scarce as possible. I seriously doubt he'd think some other Sith apprentice had adopted Vader's moniker - it's not like there aren't enough evil sounding names to go around!
    However, if Anakin takes Darth Vader after The Duel, it is entirely possible Obi-wan does not see him until their meeting in ANH. I wouldn't blame Obi-wan for assuming Anakin died at the end of their duel, but we all know what assuming does!!
    In any event, I would say he probably has seen a masked Vader before ANH, but probably not nearly as close up as he does before the Death Star duel. It might be cool to have Obi-wan see him in one of the closing moments of Ep III and let Ewan's acting ability show his fear, dread and disbelief in seeing his former apprentice alive and standing next to the newly crowned Emperor.

9. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    That brings up an interesting question...if Anakin takes the name Darth Vader before he is disfigured and dons the mask, does anyone see him in this stage? In other words, how many people know that Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader? For example, I don't think that anyone ever knew the name of Darth Maul, he was just know as the Sith apprentice, wasn't he?

I wonder how many people besides Sidious know his true identity.

10. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Sidious DID reveal him as "Darth Maul" but ONLY to the Viceroy of the TF.

Right.

I'm in aggreeance with you, UStommie, in that It's very possible that anakin takes the name Darth Vader BEFORE he fights obi-wan. Which would make sense, cos at the time of their duel, he WILL in fact have ALREADY have to have turned to the darkside! And that would be COOl, like if there's "talk" going around that some mysterious Sith named Darth Vader is helping Palpatine, and destroying the Jedi...BUT only in the DUEL with Obi-Wan, is it revealed that ANAKIN IS DARTH VADER...that would be COOL!

BUT STILL, as far as seeing vader in his mechanical suit, AFTER their Ep. III duel, I think it would be best if obi-wan DID NOT see him...he could be TOLD about him, and that he's still alive, but not physically SEE him...so then in Ep. IV, when they fight for the "first time since the ep. III duel" it'll have a greater effect on how big of a deal it is...

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm tired of people wanting things because they would be "COOL". This is not about what's COOL. It's about what's going to have the biggest impact on the story and the characters. I don't know what's going to happen. But I find it more dramatic if there is still a hint of doubt in Anakin at the time of the Duel. He's infuriated by it and Obi-Wan tries to play off on it, to turn him back. The tragedy is he fails. I would like it if he didn't take the name until after the Duel, that way it really is Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting. I think that is a far more important step than Obi-Wan fighting Vader.

12. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    you know, rebelscum77,

I'm not really interested in whether or not anyone LIKES when people say something would be "cool." I don't think it MATTERS what WORD they use, does it? One would only say "cool" cos theyre' describing something they MIGHT enjoy IF it happened that way...In fact, in your last thread, you mentioned something YOU'D LIKE to see, too. That is the SAME as saying it'd be "cool" to see it, only you didn't actually USE the word "COOL."

PLUS, That is the WHOLE point of this forum, isn't it? - SPECULATION, and things people would LIKE to see...some discussion topic titles even have those EXACT words in them.

I don't know how anyone interpreted it, but when I said it, I actually WAS simply touching on the possible impact that it would have if it went this way. I just said it differently. I only meant that is possibly ONE of the ways I would LIKE to see it happen between Obi-Wan and Anakin/Darth Vader...Expressing my RIGHT of OPINION-just like EVERYONE on here does!!

I think it would be best that everyone be allowed to say what they like in here, HOW they like...(as long as it's non offensive and spoiler free of course)...I DO think these forums WERE meant partially for discussion, or in SOME cases, criticism about people's SPECULATIONS, but NOT useless criticism about what WORDS people choose to use...You say things how you want, and let other people use words that they feel expresses THEIR feelings best...That sounds fair, right?

thanks for listening... :)

13. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    DB... I didn't mean to sound like I was ragging on you exclusively. Of course everyone is free to voice their opinions and speculation, but in general it really annoys me when rabid fanboys only want to see something because it would be kewl, not because it fits into the story. I'm sorry if I lumped you in there mistakenly. I just assumed because of your emphatic use of the word "cool". But no hard feelings :)

14. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Well, ultimately you need both for it to be a true Star Wars movie. You need the 'cool' stuff (AT-AT's, double bladed lightsabers, Jango Fett, Yoda doing cartwheels, Super Star Destroyers) and you need the deep story (the fall of a hero, his redemption, the duplicitous road to imperialism, love conquering all, rebellion).

One without the other makes for a pretty boring movie series. And none of us would be on these boards discussing it.

15. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Hey,

No problem here, rebelscum, perhaps just a misunderstanding-so easy on email and discussion boards, you know?

Anyways, How bout we move on to the fun stuff-

Talkin' STAR WARS!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.