main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Obi Wan know...........

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Disco_Dark_Jeedai, Nov 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    If this has already been hashed about, please forgive me.

The question is: Does Obi Wan know that there are twins?

My answer: No

My support: In ESB when Luke is leaving for Cloud City, Ben says to Yoda "That boy was our last hope" (or something close to that), then Yoda responds with "No, there is another". Now if Obi Wan knew that there were twins, his statement wouldn't make sense. He doesn't know if Leia is dead or not, all he knows that her mission to bring him to Alderaan had failed.

My theory: Only Yoda knows about the twins. Padme goes into hiding and arrives at Alderaan and gives birth to the twins. With her life still in danger, Leia is taken in by the Organa family until the danger is over. It never is and Padme is killed. Luke is taken by Yoda to Dagobah. Remember when he first arrives to Dagobah he feels as if he has been there before. Yoda is discovered by a "Dark Jedi" and defeats him, thus creating the "Dark Side" cave and negating his presence in the Force. Luke is then taken by Obi Wan to Tatooine and adopted by Obi's brother Owen.

What do you think?

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    sure sounds good to me, watever.

3. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    wait, you're saying that Obi-Wan doesn't know that Luke has a twin sister?

how do you explain when Obi-Wan tells Luke, "The other he (Yoda) spoke of was your twin sister."

um, i'm pretty sure he knows.

4. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
    That is after Yoda tells him.....you have to assume that after he tells Obi that there is another, he explains it to him. Afterall, Obi died to save this kid, Yoda would owe him the truth.

5. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Owen is not really related to Obi-Wan.

It depends on when you are talking about. Are you talking about during ANH, or at any time? Because during ROTJ Obi-Wan did know that they were twins. In fact Obi-Wan was the person who first told Luke that they were.

P.S. I think this belongs in the OT forum.

6. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    alright, um, whatever.

i think whatever i might say here to prove otherwise will result in the feeling that i'm hitting my head against the wall...

7. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
    First, yes Owen is related to Obi Wan, you can read it in the ROTJ novelization.

Second, I am saying in ANH Obi knows that Luke is Anakin's son, but knows nothing about Leia other than she is "Princess Leia Organa" of Alderaan. He doesn't find out about Leia being Luke's sister until Luke leaves for Cloud City. Then he tells Luke about it in ROTJ.

8. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
    Not really AthyraFire, I am open to other's opinions.

9. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    (possible spoilers....)

I think the whole world is confused about whether or not Owen and Obi-Wan are really related. It's in the novelization of ROTJ; it's in the Jedi Apprentice series; it's in the character guides too. But from what we've been told about AOTC, Owen may actually be related to Anakin (by law, not blood) instead.

I think the only person who really knows is George Lucas...

10. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
    Yes, I have heard that too.

Cool site Jedi-Faith

11. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    The novelizations for the movies are not canon. The movies themselves, however, are.

Yes, Obi-Wan was not aware that Luke had a twin during ANH.

12. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
    JediJSolo.....I agree with you about the movies being canon. We will see shortly. I was just using "available" info to support my theory. If AOTC or EPIII screws it up, so be it. Then we will have more threads about why "this" happened opposed to "that".....

And you are the first person to agree with me about Obi knowing or not.

13. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    It's all canon. Any Joe Shmo can tell you that.

Considering how Obi-Wan tells Luke how he and Padme seperated them at birth in the ROTJ novelization, among other sources, he knows they're twins.

14. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    The novelizations for the movies are not canon. The movies themselves, however, are.

I dislike the treatment EU receives from George Lucas. All this debate about what is canon and what is not leaves me very confused. The series would be so much better if it was all unified, not one thing contradicting another.

But it seems that Obi-Wan did know about the twins, since he's the one who tells Luke about it in the ROTJ movie. You could see his statement, "That boy was our last hope" as saying perhaps that Obi-Wan didn't think Leia could fight against Vader. Yoda's statement, "No, there is another" could be a reminder to Obi-Wan that they could still turn to Leia if it was absolutely necessary.

Or maybe it's just old age affecting memory ;)

15. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Oct 19, 2001
    Yes Sturm, Ben knows that there are twins in ROTJ, but not ANH or the majority of ESB. He doesn't know that there are twins until Yoda answers him with, "No, there ia another". If Ben knew already that would make NO sense whatsoever.

16. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I dislike the treatment EU receives from George Lucas. All this debate about what is canon and what is not leaves me very confused. The series would be so much better if it was all unified, not one thing contradicting another.

It's not Lucas, Jedi-Faith. It's his oft-misinformed "fans". Everything is canon. So don't worry about it. It does all fit, and in this past year, Lucas has taken a direct hand in the Prequel-era stories, providing ideas and insight with the authors. The EU even is referenced at least once in Episode II.

Yes Sturm, Ben knows that there are twins in ROTJ, but not ANH or the majority of ESB. He doesn't know that there are twins until Yoda answers him with, "No, there ia another". If Ben knew already that would make NO sense whatsoever.

You're twisting his words.

He's says "That boy is our last hope" because he does not think Leia has the "stuff" to take on Vader and the Emperor. This is punched home in the ROTJ novelization, when Ben tells Luke that Leia doesn't have the proper training, and that it's up to him to destroy Vader.

17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    *heavy breathing sounds*

Sturm Antilles: Who...who are you?

Darth Canon: I am the rabid fan which breathes down the heart of every book, comic, and audio tape lover. I am the spectre of only movies as canon.

*Sturm Antilles ignites his lightsaber*

Sturm Antilles: NO! It's impossible! You don't exist!

Darth Canon: In a fictional universe if a fan believes it, it is real.

Sturm Antilles: Ahhhh!

*charges before he's cut down*

Listen let's not ressurect this arguement

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm not resurrecting anything. I'm assuring Jedi-Faith that it's all canon. Simple as that. I'm not debating it or inciting anything.

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Sturm is correct. Stating that everything is canon does not incite arguments. It is only the people who refuse to agree with it that start the arguments.

20. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    It's all canon. Any Joe Shmo can tell you that.

Then when did Han and Leia get married? Was it in The Glove of Darth Vader series, ot the CoPL? Did they get married twice? I think not.

21. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    They never exchanged vows in Prophets of the Dark Side. But I think they were married, as it's "Leia Organa Solo" in Rebel Agent, which takes place shortly after.

They just split up and got together again in Courtship.

It's a fan fix for now. Dan Wallace said that it's kind of an icky situation to officialy correct, so LFL is taking a "hands-off" approach.

22. Ornitier

Ornitier Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2000
    This Owen & Obi-Wan thing popped up from nowhere, but according to nearly everything, Obi-wan is related to Owen (last name questionable at some points...) yet I'm rather sure AOTC has Anakin (yes the legal thig someone said) realted to him instead. There may be several Owens though so...

I think Obi-wan did know of Leia just he didn't think that Leia would work well. She was raised to probably be more of a fighter than Luke(self defense) but she probably had more of a political mind which may affect with the training? I dunno...
    They made different attempts at raising the two, Luke as a fighter, Leia as a diplomat, and maybe they were hoping they could attack Vader from two sides? They may have believed in the tabula rosa (rasa...) thing, so Obi-Wan may have felt that the experiences that Leia had would make her less effective. Then he could only focus on Luke so he probably didn't keep track of Leia.

23. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Exactly, Orn. You hit it right on the head. Ben gives a summary in the ROTJ novelization that almost matches your words.

Obi-Wan and Owen aren't blood brothers, I think. I seem to remember some source saying they were half-brothers.

In AotC, Anakin and Owen are not blood-related. They're stepbrothers. This is so far confirmed by interviews with Joel Edgerton and the Owen Lars databank entry at TOS.

24. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    Look, this has gotten way off topic. This thread is not about canon.

You're twisting his words.

He's says "That boy is our last hope" because he does not think Leia has the "stuff" to take on Vader and the Emperor.

No, he is not twisting the word; he is making an assumption (like the one you made by saying that Obi-Wan thought that Leia didn?t have the ?stuff?). It is an assumption that I happen to agree with. Obi-Wan never said that he was the one who hid Luke and his sister from Vader when they where born. He just said that they where hidden.

This is punched home in the ROTJ novelization, when Ben tells Luke that Leia doesn't have the proper training, and that it's up to him to destroy Vader.

Although I believe that this statement has no weight behind it, it is still easily explained.

Obi-Wan has always been willing to bend the truth a bit to get the results that he wants. ?He betrayed and murdered your father? (?from a certain point of view?). ?Your father wanted you to have this when you where old enough? (as if his father even knew he existed). Obi-Wan is known for telling Luke things that are intended to persuade him into doing something that he might not do if he had the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Telling Luke that his sister could never do what he was asking Luke to do, is simply another example of this.

25. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Look, this has gotten way off topic. This thread is not about canon.

Never meant to imply it was.

No, he is not twisting the word; he is making an assumption (like the one you made by saying that Obi-Wan thought that Leia didn?t have the ?stuff?). It is an assumption that I happen to agree with. Obi-Wan never said that he was the one who hid Luke and his sister from Vader when they where born. He just said that they where hidden.

Ben says that Leia was hidden on Alderaan, and Luke was hidden on Tatooine, in the ROTJ novelization. He could have learned later, after death, but that seems kinda corny. He also says that Luke is better trained than Leia, so it is he that must face Vader. It's as simple as that. If we need a transcript of the passage, I'll type it up.

Telling Luke that his sister could never do what he was asking Luke to do, is simply another example of this.

Maybe so. But Ben and Yoda both wanted Luke to be that "new hope". Unless he failed. Maybe they trusted the male heir to the Skywalker line, just out of tradition or ability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.