main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Padme know Palpatine is a Sith?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I just noticed, in TPM when they're talking in the office where Palpatine talks about a new chancellor, the look in Padme's eyes seems so sad. I started thinking that maybe she knows Palpatine is a Sith and that he'll be the downfall of the Republic.

Any thoughts?

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    During the events of TPM does Padmé even know what a Sith is?

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    The Jedi debated about return of the Sith, after a millenia no-less.
    I doubt Padme knew much about anything regarding the Sith. Heck the Nemodians were doing business with the Sith and didn't know there were two of them. Besides, the film clearly indicates that Padme trusts Palpatine as an advisor. His holo-vid about having "assurances from the Chancellor that his ambassadors did arrive" clearly establishes the unassuming Palpatine as the alter ego to the growling and demanding Holo-vid of Sidious.

No way Padme had an inkling.

ROTS proves it when Kenobi spills the beans to her about Anakin, Palpatine and the role of the Sith in regards to the Clone Wars.

4. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    I think the only people that knew Palpy was a Sith (before the Jedi found out) were Maul and Dooku. Not even Grievous knew. And his master of course

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Mas Amedda knew.

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Obi-Wan told her Palpatine was a Sith in ROTS.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Ahhh, but when did he know? [face_thinking]
    Seriously, I have no clue as to when Mas got in the know.

8. Joe_Garelli

Joe_Garelli Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2007
    Obi-Wan:"Padme, Palpatine is the Sith Lord we've been looking for, after the death of Count Dooku he took Anakin on as his new Apprentice."

Its mentioned in the film so she does know at that exact moment,not before, but she doesnt belive him because Palpatine has always been an honorable man.

9. nancyallen

nancyallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2007
    Maybe not guessing he's a Sith, but more that her political spider senses kicked in.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine talks in his sleep.

11. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    I would say as far back as Palpatine's days as a Senator.

12. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Not until she saw Darth Maul in action on Tatooine and on Naboo.

13. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Padme may have heard of the Sith because they are the arch rival of the Jedi. Obi-Wan clearly mentioned something about Palpatine being a Sith then and there. Anakin could have told her about Sidious controlling the senate, because every Jedi was looking for him.

14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Padme doesn't know he's a sith, the thought he was a sith never occured to anyone up until he straight out told Anakin. Everyone was wary of him, but I'm sure you would be too if you talked to the guy. Padme wants a ruler who wants whats best for the galaxy, and as much as Palpatine preaches she knows what he's truly after.

I think she respected him when he was the Senator of Naboo, that way they each had common goals and had some sort of connection. But once he got into office for chancellor, she realized just how corrupt he became. Watch the scene in ROTS where Padme asks if they're fighting on the right side or not, that really shows just how much she distrusts his decisions.

15. Imperial_Padawan

Imperial_Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2006
    I don't think she does. But she knows he is a bad person and not fit to be leader in the Republic any more.

16. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    she knew of the sith but never knew Palpatine was a sith lord. Nobody on the good guy side knew Palpatine was a sith lord until Palps revealed it to Anakin.

17. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    She was totally clueless to the end.

18. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    The reason Padme looks sad in that scene is because she realises that she is still no closer to getting a fast resolution to the Naboo situation. She knows that even with Palpatine as Supreme Chancellor it will still take time to save her people, and we the audience know Palpatine has no intention of truly resolving that situation because he is orchestrating it himself for the benefit of the Trade Federation to have control of Naboo.

19. noooo

noooo Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2008
    Nah, Padme didn't know anything, Except how to find the best revealing yet Tastefully PG outfits in the galaxy, Oh that George Lucas!

If only the film could be bumped to MA we could reveal some of those advanced force techniques anni had in his repertoire while putting a well deserved blaster bolt/laser through JarJar's cranium. It'd be the ultimate scene if we can have C3PO punning at the same time in that classic Prequel Trilogy style.

20. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Padme didn't know. If she had, what stopped her from telling OBW and Anakin?

21. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Especially considering that Count Dooku, the head of the Separatists, was known to the Jedi Council as a Dark Side user and Sith Lord even Padme, if she'd suspected the truth about Palpatine, would have realised that the war was being orchestrated by the Sith.

Quite simply she didn't suspect Palpatine was a Sith Lord. I think by Episode III she was concerned that he perhaps would not relinguish his Emergency Powers or the Chancellorship once the war was over.

22. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    Padme certainly did not know Palps was a Sith. Wouldn?t she have been the biggest jerk if she knew and didn?t tell the Jedi? If she knew then she is partly responsible for many many deaths as well as her own. If she knew then I would have even less sympathy for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.