main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Palpatine have any True Pollitical Convictions?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by LottDodd, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Does Palpatine believe in any of the Pollitical Philosophies he represents? Are there things he wants to do with the Galaxy... does he have ambition for it or is it something that he merely wants to suck all the life from?

I always thought that He Became Emperor not only for the power... but because it was the way he could hurt the galaxy as a whole the most. I've never seen anything constructive in his plans... But Did Palpatine see it Differently? Did He Believe in His New Order as anything other than the best way to serve himself?

2. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Absolute Power - and I believe that is a political motivation, per say. But if your of the philosophy that " politics " is for the people, then no. Just absolute power.

3. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    I don't believe he had any true beliefs or plans for the galaxy. Just wanted to rule.

4. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    He had a plan alright - it just didnt include municipalties, health care, or quality of life - just military prowess, deathstars to keep everyone in check, and a buffer system that would enable him safety until his death, unto which his followers would continue his evil legacy. I think alot of people assumed that only one deathstar would be built or needed but I think Palpatines plan was much more sinister. Many deathstars.

5. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    What is the Point of his Power if he has Nothing but Nihilism in his Heart?

Does He Want to Be Remembered after his Death? As A Sith, what would he Like His Legacy to Be; the Man who Destroyed the Jedi, or the Sith who United the Galaxy behind him?

Does he Truly Hate the Republic... or was that just an easy path to power in his mind?

6. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    " Nihilism in his Heart? "

Answered your own quandry there you did.

7. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    The Sith always wanted to rule the galaxy, and it's safe to assume they would have set up some sort of dictatorship if they did. They were beaten by the Jedi, and thus had to employ the Rule of Two to go by undetected. They were motivated by power and greed, and that's what Palpatine instills in the Empire's governors, along with fear in its citizens.

8. generallee5

May 27, 2003
    It is weird to think about. I mean, as far as we know, Palpatine involves himself in absolutely nothing like, say the president of the U.S. does, like taxes, healthcare, you know the basic stuff the galaxy runs their daily lives on. I guess he left that to the regional governors or the leaders of individual planets.

9. Drake_Darlane

Drake_Darlane Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2004
    Mmm I think Palpatine longs for power above all else....ruling the galaxy is simply the realization of this goal.

But I also believe one of his aim was to destroy the Jedi entirely. If there is one hint of conviction in Palpatine, it is geared towards hating and destroying the Jedi.

The Dark Side is self-destructive and nihilistic by nature. It has a bases in violent emotions, not ideals, at least in my opinion. This ''Empire brings order'' thing is propaganda, even if many believe it throughout the galaxy.

10. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I think that Palpatine wants to sit back and know that he is the top dog in the galaxy. Controlling people and making them suffer for no apparent reason probably feeds his dark, twisted ego and knowing that he has almost everyone in the palm of his withered hand makes him feel all-powerful.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We can't really say, because even with the EU, we don't really get inside his head very often. We can see, certainly, that he enjoys power and will do anything to stay in power--but what else?

Is he just a Sith, who will sit back and relax as soon as the Jedi are gone? There's evidence for that.

Is he someone who thinks that his ideologies are somehow better, and the ends justify the means? There's evidence for that.

Does he just wish to turn the galaxy into a black and white machine, devoid of any real life? There's evidence for that.

There are too many possibilities and too little information to make an accurate judgment.

12. Newbie_wan_Kenobi

Newbie_wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    it seems that there were NO plans to expand the Sith "rule of two". I assume that post-ROTJ, Luke did his best to ressurect the Jedi-order, (and I see that there are lots of books about this that unfortunately I haven't read) but the Emperor never seemed to have had any intent at raising an old style army of the Sith Wars.

13. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd say that Palpatine is purely out to rule the Galaxy and if he has any convictions it is to completely destroy the Jedi Order.

14. generallee5

May 27, 2003
    Palpatine is just the ultimate force of evil in the galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.