main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Qui Gonn abuse his jedi power?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ChosenOne89, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChosenOne89

ChosenOne89 Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2005
    I was watching Ep. 1 today, and I was noticing how all the times that Qui Gonn does some questionable things with his force ability. I know Obi Wan tells him that he would be on the Jedi Council if he were not sort of a rogue jedi, but I was noticing how he pushes alot for his own way, and why Dooku would think that maybe Qui Gonn would help him out in Ep. 2.

1) He uses the mind trick to keep Jar Jar alive, by convincing Boss Nass of the "life debt".
    2) He does something to Jar Jar's shoulder to keep him from freaking out on the submarine thing to relax Jar Jar.
    3) He tries to use mind trick to get the parts on the Naboo ship.
    4) Fixes the game of "chance" to make sure it is blue, to free anakin.

I know there are more that I am forgetting and please post them if u know them. Although he is using the force to do good, he seems to be almost "abusing his power."

2. Mace_Windu101

Mace_Windu101 Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 3, 2004
    Sorry, but first off it is Qui-Gon, not Qui Gonn...

Try imagining Obi-Wan doing the same thing. I can easily imagine Obi-Wan doing the same thing, yet he was on the Council and probably the greatest, if not, one of the greatest Jedi ever. Yes, Obi-Wan might have gotten these habits from Qui-Gon, but so? He was still on the Council, and Qui-Gon wasn't.

I don't think Qui-Gon was abusing his power at all. He used it to reach his goals, which is not unusual for a Jedi. They use to reach their goals all the time, as do the Sith. If they didn't use the Force to their advantage, they wouldn't use it at all. The outlook Palpatine used in Episode III in the Opera scene is very true, in a way, I think.

3. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    QuiGon wasn't using the force for his own power. Saving JarJar was using the force for JarJar's benefit (and indirectly his own). But even more indirectly, all of Naboo - because he needed someone who could guide them to the surface. And that is also for Part 2.

"He tries to use mind trick to get the parts on the Naboo ship" - that was not for his own benefit. Its not like he was going to keep the ship afterwards. The Queen and everyone else needed to get to Courascant quickly.

QuiGon was using the force for the benefit of that which is good. Why don't you mention ObiWan using the Force to get rid of the guy selling death sticks, or LUKE SKYWALKER using the force to convince Bib Fortuna to take him to Jabba's court and force-choke the guards.

4. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

If anyone abuses it it's Anakin, constantly toying with the fruit and balls.

Blasphemer!

5. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Probably not intended by you Zahl, but this comment could have several disturbing meanings.

6. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    an act of pure evil If I've ever seen it

7. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Very well done !!!!!!!

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That's classic=D=

9. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    [face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

10. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

That sure looked like fun to me (toying with the fruit and balls I mean)

11. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    It all comes down to one line I think.

Qui-gon: "I will do what I must...Obi-wan."

Understand there is nothing selfish about his actions, he simply does what he feels is necessary. I think the best explination comes from an essay on Phantom Heresies which explained,

Many watchers of The Phantom Menace are uncomfortable with Qui-Gon's easy use of the Jedi Mind Trick, or his willingness to lie to Anakin about his blood sample.

Perhaps "unethical" actions like these are best understood by looking at Danish philosopher Soren Kierkegaard's exploration of the Old Testament story of Abraham and Isaac.

God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, his only son, as a test of faith -- a demand that defied both reason and decency, even though Abraham, as a man of faith, had no choice but to obey. In the end, Isaac was saved and his father was rewarded.

In his book Fear and Trembling, Kierkegaard used this story as an example of the frequently absurd nature of the spiritual life, developing an ideal he called the Knight of Faith.

Knights of Faith -- limited to a select few, who have transcended religion by making an authentic leap of faith -- have recognized that their duty was to God, not to local ethics or politics. Kierkegaard called this state of being the "absolute relationship to the absolute," one that cannot be justified by words or reason, and can only be understood by those who have had the same experience.

These Knights are released from conventional morality because their actions are a personal command from God. When Qui-Gon tells Obi-Wan, "I shall do what I must," he means he is acting on behalf of the Will of the Force, which is immutable and beyond appeal.

He has no real choice in the matter. He walks a narrow course, cannot take counsel from others, and, for the most part, cannot be understood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.