main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Qui-Gon's third mind trick work on Boss Nass?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DARTHIRONCLAD, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHIRONCLAD

DARTHIRONCLAD Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    If you watch "The Phantom Menace" you'll notice Qui-Gon uses the Jedi mind trick on Boss Nass three times but on the third time the Jedi mind trick doesn't work.

Jedi mind trick #1:
    "Then speed us on our way."--Qui-Gon
    "Wesa gonna speed you away."--Boss Nass

Jedi mind trick #2:
    "We could use a transport."--Qui-Gon
    "Wesa give yousa una bongo."--Boss Nass

Jedi mind trick #3:
    "Your gods demand that his life belong to me now."--Qui-Gon
    "Binkssssss, yousa havena lifeplay with thisen hisen?"--Boss Nass

It appears that the Jedi mind trick does work because Boss Nass gives Qui-Gon the life of Jar Jar, however, Boss Nass is not under the influence of the Jedi mind trick when Boss Nass gives Jar Jar to Qui-Gon. Boss Nass only gives Jar Jar to Qui-Gon because Boss Nass is obeying the law of the gods.

You'll notice that with all successful Jedi mind tricks, no one under the influence of the Jedi mind trick except Boss Nass asks a question.

There are four characters other than Boss Nass that have fallen under the spell of the Jedi mind trick. They are Elan Sleazebaggano, Zam Wessell, the Mos Eisley stormtrooper, and Bib Fortuna. Anakin does not use a hand gesture to influence Zam, just like Luke doesn't use a hand gesture when he attempted to influence Jabba, however, with all the others including Boss Nass there is a hand gesture.

Qui-Gon uses a slight hand gesture the first two times on Boss Nass and Qui-Gon uses a slight hand and arm gesture the third time, but on the that third time, Boss Nass does something that no other character under the influence of the Jedi mind trick does. Boss Nass does not repeat what he is told to say. No, he asks Jar Jar a question.

So why doesn't a mind trick that concerns gods work on Boss Nass when clearly Boss Nass was under the Jedi's spell twice before?

I don't believe this subject belongs in the prequel trilogy forum because I believe it applies to all six movies.

2. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Perhaps the third time Boss Nass believed he was hearing the gods rather than the influence of Qui-Gon's mind trick.

3. DARTHIRONCLAD

Apr 28, 2005
    So you're saying that Qui-Gon was making Boss Nass think he was hearing the gods?

4. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    When did he use it on Zam Wessel.

You dont need the hand thing, but maybe it helps them concentrate or something.

5. DARTHIRONCLAD

Apr 28, 2005
    When Anakin screams, "Tell us now!", he's using the Jedi mind trick and that's why she was about to give up Jango. Well that's what the Attack Of The Clones novel states.

6. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Ok, thanks.

7. MasterDevery

MasterDevery Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2005
    Boss Nass does not repeat what he is told to say. No, he asks Jar Jar a question.

IF HE DID USE IT ON ZAM, SHE DIDNT REPEAT WHAT ANKIN SAID-

"TELL US, TELL US NOW!"

"IT WAS A BOUNTY HUNTER CALLED-"

SO WHEN UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF A MIND TRICK YOU DONT NESSESARILY REPEAT THE STAMENT, IF ONE IS GIVEN.

8. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Yeah, it doesn't appear onscreen that the Zam weezel thing was a mind trick. It was more like the good old fashioned Jedi Fear Trick. When a Jedi yells at you in a demanding and threatening manner and you have just lost an arm, you are most likely afraid. ;) The book may prove otherwise, but in my opinion if that was what they were attempting to show onscreen, it was done poorly.

I never really thought Qui-Gon was using the Mind Trick on Boss Nass, I think Boss Nass just wanted them to go away. I could be wrong.

Carnage

9. DARTHIRONCLAD

Apr 28, 2005
    Pardon me, but you're taking it out of context. Anakin's mind trick was totally different than Qui-Gon's. Anakin used his Jedi mind powers to drive information from Zam, information that Anakin did not know. So how could Zam repeat a statement that Anakin could not make because he had no prior knowledge of a bounty called Jango Fett?

10. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    True, but was Anakin using the Jedi mind trick on Watto, or was he just using his "position" as a "jedi" to intimidate his old master into telling him where his mother was?

Also, the lines "I *want* to know...", and "My *mother*!", sound a little "Vaderish" to me, as does most of Anakin's dialogue in AOTC... lol

11. DARTHIRONCLAD

Apr 28, 2005
    I read the book before I watched the movie, so I always saw Anakin as using his Jedi mind powers to interrogate Zam. Perhaps that's why it was important to have the Elan Sleazebaggano scene right before Zam's interrogation scene. Perhaps to remind the audience of the Jedi mind powers. BTW, in the AOTC novel, Obi-Wan is not using his mind powers on Zam. Zam just tells him that she knows who she was trying to kill.

No disrespect but you are wrong. Qui-Gon waves his hand all three times to indicate to the audience that he is using the Jedi mind trick on Boss Nass. The Phantom Menace novel also backs this up, however, the book does not say that Qui-Gon used the Jedi mind trick the third time when he tells Boss Nass that Jar Jar's owes Qui-Gon a life debt, but clearly Qui-Gon waves his hand in the movie.

12. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    :::No disrespect but you are wrong. Qui-Gon waves his hand all three times to indicate to the audience that he is using the Jedi mind trick on Boss Nass. The Phantom Menace novel also backs this up, however, the book does not say that Qui-Gon used the Jedi mind trick the third time when he tells Boss Nass that Jar Jar's owes Qui-Gon a life debt, but clearly Qui-Gon waves his hand in the movie.

Agreed, and I must bow to the Whill(s) of the Force. ;)

13. DARTHIRONCLAD

Apr 28, 2005
    Anakin was not using his Jedi mind powers on Watto, well I don't think he was and he wasn't in the book. Watto was just afraid of what Anakin was capable of, and Anakin's mind powers wouldn't of worked on Watto anyway.

14. DARTHIRONCLAD

Apr 28, 2005
    ;)

15. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    :::Anakin was not using his Jedi mind powers on Watto, well I don't think he was and he wasn't in the book. Watto was just afraid of what Anakin was capable of, and Anakin's mind powers wouldn't of worked on Watto anyway.

True, and this is by no means "Canon", but the whole pre-TPM campaign had Darth Maul state, "Fear is my ally."

So, it's obvious that Anakin is beginning to use the Dark Side, even unconsciously, in his dealings with his former master, by using intimidation, and fear.

At least, he didn't pull out his lightsaber...

16. DARTHIRONCLAD

Apr 28, 2005
    Oh yeah, there's no doubt Anakin is using fear to get what he wants from Watto, but who could blame him. Anakin is in a hurry to stop his mother's suffering.

17. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Jedi mind tricks don't work on Watto.

People are persuasive, both positively and negatively, without benefit
    of the force.

I've never interpreted Zam as being mind controlled by Anakin.
    I think it may have soiled itself from fear of an angered Jedi,
    but nothing mind control like.

18. DARTHIRONCLAD

Apr 28, 2005
    Yes, we did reason that it wouldn't have mattered if Anakin would have been using mind control on Watto.

Source: page 109 of the novel Attack Of The Clones:
    "Who hired you?" he asked again, and then he continued, throwing the full weight of the Force into his demand, a strength that surprised Obi-Wan, that came from something more than prudence or dedication to his current job. "Tell us. Tell us now!"

Thank you for your opinion but I'm going to have to go with what the Attack Of The Clones novel states. And it clearly states that Anakin is using the Force to interrogate Zam.

19. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Even without the novel (which I've never read) it's blatantly obvious that Anakin is using the "mind trick" on Zam.

His look, and the look that Obi gives him make it plain that that's what he's doing. You'd have to be blind to not see that.

20. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I interpreted the look from Obi Wan as displeasure because
    Anakin is to blantantly out of control of his emotions.

Never read the novels of the PT, so I'm not all
    that much interested in what someone else has to say
    in GL's stead.

So, irregardless of how unpopular it is,
    I don't see that scene, you know, the movie scene,
    as anything other than a young, petulant Jedi
    too emotionally involved in a mission
    being more than young and petulant.

Anakin is never before, or ever after, shown to
    use some sort of force interogation.
    Even Vader used a mind probe, a device.

Sorry folks, not buying it.

21. first_mate

first_mate Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    Maybe, although he was intending to use the mind trick, it didn't work all three times, Boss Nass just agreed with him that he should speed on his way and get a transport, and was completely unaware that Qui-Gon was trying to do the mind trick on him

22. DARTHIRONCLAD

Apr 28, 2005
    Actually I got this wrong. The Phantom Menace novel does state that Qui-Gon uses the Jedi mind trick when asking for the life of Jar Jar, however, it does not state whether the Jedi mind trick worked or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.