main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Race And Economics Have Anything To Do With The Response To Katrinas Devastation In New Orleans

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by severian28, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    So you've given up? Not so I can brag, I just would then switch to another wing of discussion.

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Not yet. I'm just a bit busy. Well, not really, I'm just having too much fun in other threads. It's like going in circles with this one. But if you have any new info to add, feel free to.

3. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

Trust your gut son because he's definetely up to something. My money is on New Orleans doing a 180 from the liberal bastion of the south to a wasp Disneyland sans soul and creole ownership of anything. Expect Bush connected contractors to be winning bids left and right in the reconstruction, the French Quarter injected with an unhealthy dose of fundamental christianity, Preservation Hall to become the most ironically named night spot on earth and Barbara Bushs' " safer " New Orleans. As horrible as Katrina was the reconstruction of New Orleans is going to be one of the most lucrative ventures in American history and dont expect the neo-cons to share. The line of what has to be done ( a Holland-ish type city raised above sea level with a super advanced aquaduct ) and whats optional ( super right wing law enforcement, ultra strict drinking and prostitution laws ) will be blurred and spun so thoroughly by neo conservatives that quite frankly liberals dont stand a chance and thats quite a shame. There should be a place for everyone in this country and N.O. was that place for many liberals, gays, and progressives in the south. Hopefully theres a entrenched liberal ownership class in N.O. that will throw up some major resistance but Im doubtful as Bush and his clan seem to get every single thing they ask for.

4. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    "Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government. And to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility."
    - President George W. Bush, 13 September, 2005.

:eek:

I think that's a first for this president! An admonish [of any kind] of responsibility. I will give him credit for owning that, at least.

5. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I think that?s a bit extreme. New Orleans culture and heritage is so steeped in American consciousness that neo-cons would be foolish to try and change that. It would be like if San Francisco were wiped out by a quake, then rebuilt with the intention of ?gays no longer welcome.?

6. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Okay, no problem, reply when you have the time.

7. severian28

Apr 1, 2004

Yes, exactly Cal, and I dont think its a bit extreme at all to think that this very ethnocentric cabal of people would try to achieve the end Im speaking of.

8. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I heard that the issue was federalized before the hurricane hit. Is this true?

9. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    I dont understand Suzuki, what do you mean by the issue being " federalized "?

10. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    As in made a FEDERAL state of emergency and transferred to FEMA's jurisdiction, etc.

11. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    My money is on New Orleans doing a 180 from the liberal bastion of the south to a wasp Disneyland sans soul and creole ownership of anything.

First of all, define "neo-con"...as that name seems to be pointed at any conservative anymore.

Secondly, why would it be horrible to bring commerce and true law enforcment to New Orleans? Should we spend all this public and insurance money just to have the same unemployment and high crime rate?

12. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    August 27th, but I really dont see how that relates to the poor response time. If anything declaring a state of emergency the day before the hurricane landed makes the federal goverments response look even more paltry.

No, Rod, I dont consider all conservatives neo-cons. I dont think your a neo con. And there is a marked difference. A neo con is an American conservative who values a upper class Americans life way above human life in general and also subscribes to dominion theology. And yes Rod, a little disorder certainly makes New Orleans the fun place it is. Im not talking about not taking action to gun fights in the streets, Im talking about NOT curtailing their very liberal stances on drinking, gambling and prostitution.

13. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Well a great deal of the anti-criticists argument is blaming Nagin and Blanco, but if it was made a federal responsibility before then, that doesn't at all help their position.

First of all, define "neo-con"...as that name seems to be pointed at any conservative anymore.

Secondly, why would it be horrible to bring commerce and true law enforcment to New Orleans? Should we spend all this public and insurance money just to have the same unemployment and high crime rate?

[face_plain]

14. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Good debating skills Suzuki. Care to elaberate?

15. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Honestly? No.

16. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    WooooHoooo!!! Won another one!

17. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Congrats.

18. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    Ive no interest in visiting relatives in New Orleans if I cant walk down Bourbon St. with a hand grenade or hurricane without fear of arrest. And I dont even drink! Although truth be told they may have to rename the hurricane.

19. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001

Careful there, J-Rod. You're sounding an aweful lot like Barabara Bush. New Orleans had commerce, and it still has true law enforcement. I'm surprised that you of all people would be so quick to insult police departments. Naturally, high crime rates mean fake law enforcement, right?

The number of people living below the national poverty line has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Right.

20. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks Suzuki, I couldn't have done it without ya!

sev, bear in mind that it can't get any more conservative without the voters. Remember that.

But I see nothing wrong with throwing the addicts in recovery and locking up the pushers and whores. Ask you self this: are these the effect of poverty or the cause?

CHev...I'm surprised that you of all people would be so quick to insult police departments.

Seen the Girls Gone Wild DVD's. Yup, lax law enforcement.

21. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    GGW is illegal? And representative of the state of law enforcement? Poor people should have to move because of convenience?

[face_plain]

22. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Suzuki said...GGW is illegal? And representative of the state of law enforcement? Poor people should have to move because of convenience?

Who said anything about moving them? If that's what you think I understand why you're pissed at me.

No, I'm talking about making opportunities for the residents of N.O.

23. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    What kind of "opportunities"?

24. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    But I see nothing wrong with throwing the addicts in recovery and locking up the pushers and whores. Ask you self this: are these the effect of poverty or the cause?

I see something EXTREMELY wrong with that thinking and its not for you or me or anyone to define who is or isnt an addict. I believe in moderation control and discipline and enpowering yourself to achieve what you want in life - the very opposite of twelve step ideology , which tells you to admit you are powerless and must surrender yourself to a higher " power " - which was changed from God early on by Bill W., who smartly knew that he had to remove any direct religious connection to AA so people wouldnt perceive it as a protestant agenda, which is exactly how it started. AA own triennial reports prove that you stand an equal chance of just spontaneously deciding that your threw with drinking as you would if you submitted to the twelve step program. Im not taking anything away from the 3-5% of the people that have succesfully quit drinking forver in the ENTIRE history of AA. God bless them, but dont push it on people who dont buy into it by making their arguments and questions about the topic seem anti-intellectual. But this is a different argument for a different thread.

EDIT - and by the way I happen to love pushers and whores. They arent the worlds oldest professions because they DONT belong in society and the day they are no longer in society will be a darker day then you could possibly envision. Sorry for ranting.

25. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    What kind of "opportunities"?

All kinds. If you can secure the area from flooding, clean up the crime and reputation, industries can move in. Jobs.

Soon the service industry will cater to the locals as much as the tourists. More jobs.

The chance to accomplish all this is looking us right in the face. There is alot of money going there right now. Should we let it be as it was? Continue the suffering just so people can go there to party once a year?

Seems kinda shallow to me.

EDIT: As a near 14 year vetran of AA I gotta tell you, we don't take any stitistics. Someone lied to you my friend.

Also, I know of no one who has Bill W. or Dr. Bob as a higher power.

For the record, according to a 1992 USA today poll, 1 out of 36 make it a year. Half of those will make it two. And with those stats, it is the most successful method of recovery in the world. Pretty grim, but addiction is tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.