main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Race And Economics Have Anything To Do With The Response To Katrinas Devastation In New Orleans

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by severian28, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I misunderstood what you meant, I thought you were referring to another article I had read about people trying to disrupt the racial balance of New Orleans during reconstruction...never mind, carry on.

2. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    I thought you were referring to another article I had read about people trying to disrupt the racial balance

That gave me the chills. Absolutely not!

sev did you see my edit?

3. Divia

Divia Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Umm...there was none. I was talkin about 9/11 when he stood on the ruble of the WTC with the bullhorn and yelled down to the people.

4. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Here's how I see the hurricane mess up - Jello suggested I use baseball.

The pitcher is Nagin, catcher is Blanco, second baseman is the feds. Nagin's pitch was a little wide, but Blanco should be able to field it even so - but Blanco bobbles it and the man on first(hurricane) rushes off to steal second. Blanco gets the ball in control and fires off an accurate throw at out second basement fed friends - who MISS the throw. Optional addendum: they decide not to chase it down too quickly because they don't like a few players on their team anyway.

5. Lily_Skywalker

Lily_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2002
    Absolutely not. That's a bunch of hooie the liberals cooked up

6. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Yeah - just caught your edit Rod but Im afraid you may be the one whose misinformed. AA absolutely does have a triennial report. When I get home Ill type the article up for you or get the link. Its very informative and its not as damning to AA as you think Im making it. My motto is whatever gets you through the night but I do think you'll find it interesting.

7. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Interesting. I look foreward to seeing it. They do have many reports a year from the World Service Organisation. But they don't do polls. They'll refer to other polls though. EDIT: In the intrest of not derailing this thread, post it in the social thread or one of the alcohol/drug thread.

I tend to stay out of the AA politics, as the people who don't seem to me to be kinda...not as healthy...as I wanna be. Control freaks, I guess.

8. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    Actually the NO has had notorious problems with corruption in the past, though it was supposedly cleaned up. At one point in the 80s-early 90s there was a fairly large ring of police officers who were involved with the black market and one in particular that ordered a hit on a civilian because she made a complaint to the department. The hit was carried out and the civillian killed.

9. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I have not yet heard Fire_Ice_Death's response to my post, and I've waited a while...

10. DARK_VADOR

DARK_VADOR Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Here's the deal. The reason why Bush used dynamite to blow the levees is two-fold:

1)Wipe out the minorities and poor,
    and
    2)Boost the price of oil to help his buddies like Haliburton get richer and richer.

Those evil, wealthy, homophobic, anti-women, fundamentalist, neo-con, Republicans are up to no good.

11. DARK_VADOR

DARK_VADOR Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2004
    I don't think so many people would've drowned in the wake of the Bush-created hurricane had Teddy Kennedy led the rescue teams.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Please stop spamming, Vador. There's no need to post several messages in a row. Generally, it's best to wait for other people to reply before you post again.

13. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
  14. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    The whole racial democraphic has changed in this area since Katrina.

The city was 70% black populated, but that number has been reduced dramatically. Many blacks are not returning to this area.

The entire politic of the area and economic climate will hopefully change, and both blacks and whites are hoping that is so for the better of the area as a whole.

The murder rate is zero in New Orleans now, when it was among the highest rates in the country year after year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.