main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Does Rogue One have the best ending in the saga?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MrElculver2424, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Where does Rogue One's ending rank in the entire saga?

1. Best

35 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. 2nd

36 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. 3rd

16 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. 4th

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Lower

16 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I've seen Rogue One I think 5 times now and every time I watch it I just love it more and more.

No doubt it was great all the way through...but the last 15 minutes are just so emotionally powerful. The 2nd or 3rd time I saw it, I teared up at the end because I developed a connection with the characters, and just thinking about how they all gave their lives for a cause far greater than imaginable is so sad. I just saw it again tonight for the 5th time and nearly balled my eyes out, literally.

It was so well done...one by one the Rebel group sacrificing themselves on Scarif to make progress towards transmitting the plans. And then Jyn and Cassian dropping to the sand on the beach to pass on after successfully transmitting them, and the white light that followed, and then the dead silence as we look down at the explosion from space. Followed by Vader massacring the Rebel soldiers and then Leia being given the message of "A New Hope." The only other Star Wars movies I teared up at the end of are Return of the Jedi (just a tiny bit one time) and The Force Awakens (a little bit a few times). And perhaps Revenge of the Sith once.

Rogue One, in my opinion, had by far the most powerful and emotional ending to any Star Wars movie yet. I just want to take a moment to appreciate the brilliant job Gareth Edward and team did on it.

[​IMG]

2. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    It has the most satisfying ending for me since "The Empire Strikes Back." I've never viewed the ending of "Return of the Jedi" as disappointing, even as I've realized the episode's flaws which I try to ignore. "Attack of the Clones" didn't have an ending I found as unsatisfying, but I knew to anticipate the next one. On paper, it might work better, even though it leaves a lot (which we expected since we knew what happened in the next trilogy) for the next chapter to resolve.

3. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Second for me, next to the rousing triumph in A New Hope. As you say, its emotional impact is largely because the characters are so well drawn - but I find that the two leads get the most sympathy because they are tragic figures. Jyn Erso is robbed of her childhood, made a soldier at a very young age, abandoned by her father and mentor, deprived of that father just as she discovers the truth about him, and then dies without having truly lived. Cassian Andor's story is not very different: he has also had a desperate life and has had to do some vile things for the cause. I wasn't nearly as moved by Amidala's death because she had an entirely different background. So even with the Rebel victory, I find it is still a very bleak film.

4. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    4th for me (still excellent)

ROTJ
    ANH
    TFA
    R1

5. KingKenobi

KingKenobi Jedi Padawan

Aug 7, 2016
    I put it first because of the emotional impact that the film had on me, and how that all came together at the end. This may change in time (and as new films are released) but for now it's up there as one of the most heart-wrenching yet exhilarating sequences of film in the saga.

Was a very tough call between that and ROTS though, which is an ending that always makes me feel enormous gratitude towards Lucas.

NexuLeader likes this.
  6. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I'll put the ending in the top 3 with ANH and ROTJ.

Empire is the best overall movie. It was great all the way through. But ANH, ROTJ, and R1 peak in their endings.

I would have put TPM in this category but the awesome lightsaber duel kept getting interrupted by jar jar antics and a kid flying a space ship and *accidentally* blowing up the droid control ship. I would have also put ROTS in this category if it weren't for some lame dialogue. "If you're not with me... I have the high ground... She lost the will to live"

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I think it is my fav!! It's hard to say.. I'll rank it as second for now.

8. BlueHenDave

BlueHenDave Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 21, 2013
    Right now 3rd best behind ANH and ESB. Over time it may jump ahead.

9. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Thiis was a hard question.

From the PT, the best last 15 minutes were from RotS
    From the OT, for me the last 15 minutes of ANH and RotJ.
    I like quite a lot the final 15 minutes of TFA and R1 as well.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I rank RO third overall, after ANH and TESB. But this is a good question... for the ending, I would say RO is tied for first place with ANH for me.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    I had to say it's my favourite. Simply because it actually made my jaw drop a few times and It really makes me well up. Seen it 3 times and each time (Like has been said) it just keeps on giving.

ZY-Fighter and Ricardo Funes like this.
  12. kanjiklubbed

kanjiklubbed Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2017
    Agree, the ending has more emotional impact each time I see it and is my favorite of all the films. From the moment Krennic is shot and on, especially where the sound effects are buried by the music...Vader watching the rebel fleet get torn up...Gareth just nailed it. My favorite 10-12 minutes of Star Wars. Sad, awesome, memorable.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

MrElculver2424 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  13. NexuLeader

NexuLeader Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 18, 2017
    ROTJ's ending will always mean the most to me, but R1 is really growing on me. I feel like I'm addicted to the emotional roller coaster of the final minutes of the movie, starting from the moment the Death Troopers land on the beach.

We get action: the deaths of the main squad, the Y-Wing bombing run on the Star Destroyers, the Destroyers being forced into the shield, Jyn vs. Krennic;
    We get intrigue: Tarkin firing on Jedha;
    We get emotion: Jyn and Cassian's certain death, Raddus's incredible line "Rogue One, may the Force be with you" (does anyone else see tears in his eyes?);
    We get despair: Vader coming out of hyperspace to annihilate what remains of the Alliance fleet;
    We get pride: we see the heroes of the Rebellion getting the plans off the Profundity at all costs;
    We get terror: Vader;
    And we get hope.

I can't stop watching R1 just to see these final few minutes, honestly. AMC is bleeding my wallet dry.

14. kanjiklubbed

kanjiklubbed Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2017
    Yes this! R1 is increasingly re-watchable for me thanks to that last 15 mins or so. Wasting so much money lol.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

15. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    For me, Rogue One has the best climax and ending. It's emotional, sinister and beautiful.

captaingasma likes this.
  16. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I say second best, only because I'm partial to the ending of RotS.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Wow, very difficult question to answer!

I don't think R1 has the best ending, not even that high on my list, but it's still certainly a great ending! I think this is my ranking:

Return of the Jedi (The funeral of Darth Vader gets me every time. And the special edition additions of the different planets is wonderful. Then the last celebration of our heroes is just beautiful)
    Revenge of the Sith (The ending montage is gorgeous - from Vader's birth, to Naboo, to the Death Star, to Alderaan, and finally - to the binary sunset on Tatooine. Perfect ending)
    A New Hope (The sense of victory and happiness, together with the triumphant music makes me, well, happy every time I see it)
    The Force Awakens (Leia saying "May the Force be with you", followed by the reveal of Luke. Powerful, powerful stuff! Still makes me a bit misty eyed)
    Rogue One (Vader going berserk, the transfer of the plans. The music, set and sound design more or less turning into A New Hope, with Leia delivering the last line. The movie couldn't have ended any better)
    Attack of the Clones (The first - chronological - appearance of The Imperial March with Republic troops gearing up for war, then transitioning into Across the Stars and a small wedding by a beautiful lake. Love it!)
    The Empire Strikes Back (It gives a sense of hope, despite everything that has gone before. The shots are beautiful, the music bittersweet. A very nice ending)
    The Phantom Menace (The sense of foreboding in the dialogue between Yoda and Mace is nice; in fact the entire funeral scene is great. But the celebration scene at the very end is a bit... meh.)

Sarge and Guidman like this.
  18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The best ending. By far.

ETA: Slight revision. TFA is a close second for me.

That's interesting, actually. One thing the new LFL is definitely improving upon is Star Wars endings, which I always found to be the weakest elements of those films.

Grey Matter likes this.
  19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    TFA
    RO
    ROTS

20. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I enjoyed the ending of TFA a lot more than most did, but with that said, I do think RO had the best one. The heroes bit the dust, that is not something you would have expected. So I have to tip my cap to them for that one.

21. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Second best for me (behind TFA). I love that both are very serial endings, completing one story, and/or part of one, and directly setting up the next.

22. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    This is hard one to choose. (1) ROTJ: I still get emotional over Anakins redemption. (2) ESB: The Duel and the revelation (3) ROTS: The sadness of seeing Anakin die and Vader born with a glimmer of hope.(4) RO: The action is thrilling and seeing the rebels sacrifice their selves to save the galaxy 5)TFA:Love the duel in the woods and I get chills every as Rey approaches Luke (6)AOTC:The impending dark times knowing Anakin and Padme are doomed as well as the republic.(7)ANH: Yeah the good guys win! (8)TPM: Yeah the good guys win part two but this time they have a funeral!

wobbits and Ricardo Funes like this.
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    1) Return of the Jedi
    2) Rogue One
    3) Revenge of the Sith
    4) The Force Awakens
    5) A New Hope
    6) Attack of the Clones
    7) The Empire Strikes Back
    8) The Phantom Menace

24. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    After thinking about it some more I'm going to give Rogue One the #3 ending in the saga.

1) A New Hope - The tension in the last battle...just phenominal
    2) Return of the Jedi - The duel and the space battle were great. The Ewok battle knocks it down from being #1.
    3) Rogue One - Outstanding action. Puts the War in Star Wars.
    4) Revenge of the Sith - Climax to the prequel trilogy. We've always wanted to see the two duels at the end. Cheesy dialogue prevents this from being higher.
    5) Empire Strikes Back - Not as much going on as the ones above it on the list but probably the most classic line in all of Star Wars. From beginning to end ESB is the best Star Wars movie in my opinion but rather than peaking at the end the entire movie was great. The movies up this on the list peaked at the end.
    6) Phantom Menace - This one is a mixed bag. While the Darth Maul was fantastic and the best duel of the saga in my opinion, Anakin's and Jar Jar's kiddie antics ruined the rest of the ending.
    7) Attack of the Clones - Seeing tons of jedi light up sabers was cool but the battle was overly CGI'd.
    8) Force Awakens - The unoriginal Starkiller Base and duels that violated all kinds of Star Wars lore. Hated it.

25. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    2nd best.

The best is the ending of the 1977 Star Wars film. :cool: