main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Does Rogue One have the best ending in the saga?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MrElculver2424, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Where does Rogue One's ending rank in the entire saga?

1. Best

35 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. 2nd

36 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. 3rd

16 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. 4th

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Lower

16 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    "Rogue One" has the most stunning ending moment of all the movies, because of the surprise reveal of not just Princess Leia but a created Leia, because we know Leia. Just as we are absorbing what we just saw as the corvette flies away, the movie quickly ends, and ends with that familiar Star Wars credits roll and music. That was unexpected too because the movie started in a non-traditional way. This won't have the same effect on new viewers in a few years.

2. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Hmm, You know I'm going to respond by saying it was another StarWars movie with a really great ending and its up there with the best of them.

The battle between Vader and Luke in both ESB and ROTJ are both very satisfying. I don't think the gut wrenching shock will ever be matched from ESB when seen the first time and not knowing the outcome. Period!

The dual in ROTJ is quite amazing and was edge of your seat stuff. The joy of ANH is quite a different and just a celebration that is really joyous, not executed as well in ROTJ but its celebration brought a good sense of closure.

RO is stunning and makes you want to watch ANH immediately after and that last 25 minutes is just. Wow...Can't fault a thing about it besides the walkers being a little to easily to down and not really getting enough screen time.

I don't think I can say anything as positive about PT endings. PT, meh. ATOC, meh, ROTS. The first 2/3rds of the film were nearly redeemed when we saw those yellow eyes before rapidly returning to its flaws. Meh. If Lucas could have only managed to get closer emotion and dialog to ESB without hovering on lava and it could have been so special.

But yes, the ending of Rogue One is fantastic.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Kind of like The Godfather 3- everyone dies at the end.

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I got it tied for fourth:

1. TESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. ANH
    4A. Rogue One
    4B. ROTS
    5. TFA
    6. AOTC
    7. TPM

And I must say, I think all of them had good endings that ended on a iconic shot except TPM. That was just forced nostalgia and really meaningless because the Gungans were no longer even in the series after that.

5. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    2nd best. It was epic and emotional, visually beautiful with perfect score. Yet personally, the ending that brought up the most feelings is Revenge of the Sith.

wobbits likes this.
  6. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    1. Return of the Jedi
    I really like the happy ending, and the closure it gives to the saga (before TFA came out)
    2. The Force Awakens
    The ending is actually one of my favorite parts of the movie. The music when Rey is climbing the steps is just perfect, and the transition into the 'Force theme' is perfectly done.
    3. Attack of the Clones
    Mostly because of the Clone Army scene. The way shot of Palpatine looking over his new army while the Imperial March plays thriumphantly is always great to watch.
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    Obi-Wan delivering Luke to Owen and Beru is a really emotional scene. Also great to see the twin suns, which have almost become a symbol of Star Wars.
    5. Rogue One
    Amazing action scene, really nice to see Vader kickin' some butt. Also, the transition to ANH is very well executed.
    6. The Empire Strikes Back
    Perfect ending to the movie. Quiet and sad, but with a note of hope.
    7. A New Hope
    A very thriumphantly ending. Once again, this ending fits very well with the rest of the movie.
    8. The Phantom Menace
    Qui-Gon's funeral was quite emotional and had a dark and loomy atmosphere, with some foreshawing of things to come. However, I'm not a big fan of the Naboo celebration. It felt kinda bland and not really as catching as the celebration in ANH.

7. Darth Dank

Darth Dank Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2017
    I really liked Rogue One for many reasons but the best thing that it did was the ending and i will admit that the ending would've been 10 times better if they swapped the Rebel Soldiers with some of the members of the core 6 but even if that din't happen i say it did it right this movie like the Original Trilogy shows how powerful the empire is and how close the Rebels lost there plans and last of all it shows how manny people died for the Rebellion.

8. captaingasma

captaingasma Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2017
    The first time I saw Rogue One I basically cried every 25 minutes, and the ending literally left me in a euphoric shock...It was absolutly the best ending in the saga or AT LEAST in the top three^:)^

Blue 5 likes this.
  9. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Absolute best. The entire third act is a work of art.

Blue 5 likes this.
  10. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The third.

First, AOTC. The clone army, Palpatine's there, the war started, Anakin and Padme are married. All the ingredients for a tragedy are there and the expectations of doom give us more than there is.

Second, ROTS. Anakin is Vader, Padme is dead, Leia is on Alderaan, Kenobi gives Luke. The light's been shut, but there's hope.

Third, RO. It's a great ending, no doubt about that, but it's kind of undermined by the fact that ANH starts immediately after so there's no expectation of what happens in between the movies.

11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Definitely - seeing Vader in full badass mode and the sacrifice of the whole R1 team was just amazing... Not forgetting the Death Star in clear and close-up view, something never experienced back in the 80s!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon.exe using Tapatalk

wobbits likes this.
  12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'd say it has one of the best.

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Definitely one of the best endings.

Firstly the pace of it. It seems like its going to end on a sombre note with the deaths of everyone, which I think builds perfectly as the wave engulfs Jyn and Cassian, but then as we see Vader enter the end of the battle the pace picks up and its frantic as the Rebels rush to get the plans away. Its quite exhilerating as they eventually get to Leia and bang we finish in hyperspace, it made me want to immediately watch the original.

Secondly how many movies can end with the death of the heroes and a villain laying waste to everyone and it leaves (most) viewers extremely satisfied? Vader making his way through the Rebels just adds to the pace and tension of the ending.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Watching the ending was one of the best moments of my life!!

Blue 5 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  15. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Forgot to mention in my earlier comment about how seamlessly the ending of Rogue One fit into the opening scenes of A New Hope... From the slaughter of the surviving Rebel soldiers by Darth Vader to that "Hope" uttered by Princess Leia as she received the DS1 plans, this makes Rogue One THE prequel movie we have been waiting for, all these years, since the PT! ^:)^=D=

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    It was great one.

17. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Sith and Jedi have the best endings in my opinion. RO's ending only beats out eps 1, 2 & 7. So 5th is where I place it.

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Didn't see a general question thread, but during the end of the film while Vader is rekting the rebels, the one gets up while the door is closing and yells "Board" "Gooo" I don't know.. But what button does he push on the wall?? Is it to close the door? Because to me it looks like it was starting to close before he pushed it..

19. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    My top:

1. The Phantom Menace
    I just love it. Qui-Gon's funeral is very emotional and interesting, especially the way Yoda and Mace talk about the Sith only to have the scene end with a teasing shot of Palpatine. And after that, we have the fantastic celebration scene at Naboo which is is obviously the grandest celebration shown in a SW film to date. And I happen to love huge, glorious celebrations. Lots of people, amazingly happy fanfare music, sweet change of smiles between Anakin and Padmé (she just looks gorgeous in this scene), and then lastly the epic way of having Boss Nass raise the sphere and shout "PEACE!!". It's just fantastic.

2. Return of the Jedi
    Like above, I love happy and glorious celebration scenes, which is why I also love the one in ROTJ. Granted, the celebration party on Endor is not a very big party, but the emotional impact of seeing our heroes celebrate happily together is just so damn satisfying. For me personally, the emotional impact grew even stronger with the addition of showing celebrations from other planets in the galaxy. It was a very nice way of tying the six-part saga together with a nice knot. And then we have the final shot of Luke smiling towards the ghosts of his father, Obi-Wan and Yoda.... it's just amazing!

3. Rogue One
    Since the ending of Rogue One includes so many different and awesome things, it's kind of unfair to compare it to the saga films. Seeing the green Death Star laser approaching in Krennic's eyes, elevator scene between Jyn and Cassian, Tarkin's "You may fire when ready", Scarif blowing up, Jyn and Cassian hugging, Darth Vader approaching with his ship, the Death Star plans being uploaded on a disc, Darth Vader's killing spree, Leia's "Hope" quote..... all of this combined with that amazing score of Michael Giacchino. The ending of Rogue One is filled with wonders.

4. Attack of the Clones
    I really enjoyed how this ending turned out, with Yoda's "Begun the Clone Wars has..." quote followed by the epic panorama shot of the actual Clone army, and Palpatine overlooking it. The secret wedding between Anakin and Padmé is also a very cute way of ending it before the credits start rolling....

5. A New Hope
    Even though its a celebration scene, which I usually love, this one still feels a bit underwhelming compared to the ones in TPM and ROTJ. However, it's still an extremely classic scene and it's a great way to end the movie after the destruction of the first Death Star.

6. The Force Awakens
    It may be my least favorite SW film, but at least the ending is pretty nice. But that's just because we get to see Luke Skywalker.

7. Revenge of the Sith
    This one simply suffers from having to explain too much stuff in too many scenes in a very short amount of time. It would've been enough to simply end the film with that side-by-side comparison between Padmés funeral and the birth of Darth Vader. It would've been a very emotional and sad ending that is on par with the mood of the rest of the film. Instead, we are shown too many anti-climatic thing such as the Death Star construction and happy moments on Alderaan and Tatooine with some cute babies.

8. The Empire Strikes Back
    It may be one of the best films ever... but it doesn't change the fact that I always find the ending so boring. It's a set-up, but a boring and weird set-up. It's just Lando taking off with Chewbacca sending their wishes, and then Leia and Luke overlooking some random nebula. It's weird because everyone seems to be just happy and fine, even though they just lost one of their best friends.

20. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    It was one of the best.

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    (Not in any order. Random ravings)

I am usually a quiet person in the cinema, but the ending to Sith had me talking out loud "Oh this is ridiculous". Talking about that too much could get me a stern Moderator warning.

Jedi Yub Nub was high on my list of fun moments... I'm not overly fussed about the Special Editions. They're experimenting with the new field of Computer Effects. But that was one moment were they genuinely ruined the end of a movie.

I quite like the medical frigate floating away in Empire. I know it was an odd, downbeat ending, but it worked for me. When I was a kid, simply because I liked space ships.

The New Hope medal ceremony... I guess they needed a moment when everyone cheers. It does the job.

Phantom... It all looks pretty. I quite like Theed. What the hell is that Orb anyway? Sort of a medal surrogate. A symbol of success.

Clones does get nutball awesome by the end. Love the Star Destroyers taking off to Vader's theme. Padme marrying that rat-tailled bogan though...

Force Awakens has its great "Arrrggghhh!" throw something at the screen ending. A perfect cliffhanger. On a cliff.

But, yeah, Rogue does it the best. A grand, extended end for the heroes, then the drama afterwards.

22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    This.

23. Godzilla2099

Godzilla2099 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2015
    Best Ending?

Absolutely. No Contest. Rogue One Definitely Wins the Award for this category

24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    When it comes to a final action scene, I don't think anything comes close to Vader's rampage.

wobbits likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i agree in some ways but i also think it's due to that being what a lot of people wanted to see so badly. which is most of us.