main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Does Rogue One "improve" with multiple viewings?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Unkar's Muffins, Dec 21, 2016.

1. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'll be seeing it for the first time this weekend, so I have no idea if it improves with multiple viewings or not, but I'm just excited about going to see it, so I felt like posting. haha.
    Amazingly, I've managed to remain very spoiler free, perhaps the most spoiler-free I've been for SW film since ROTJ in 1983. And that is why, with no disrespect intended to anyone, I ignored all of your comments. But after I watch it, I'll be back to read what everyone had to say.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Sorry to hear that.

Though personally, I find it to be a very hopeful film. Bittersweet, yes, but not dark. After Carrie's death, seeing Leia at the end, shining like an angel, brought me tears of joy.

In any event, hang in there! And think of this place as a supportive community.

3. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I got misty-eyed on my second viewing when Galen, Chirrut/Baze, K2, and even Bodhi died (sorry Jyn/Cassian). I didn't get the same emotional connection on the first viewing as I was probably too focused on trying to understand the story, etc. So yes, a second viewing definitely improved it for me :)

EviL_eLF and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Chirrut and Baze really grew on me after the third viewing. Particularly Chirrut. Love the line to Cassian when their imprisoned by Saw on Jedha.

"It seems you carry your prison around with you wherever you go huh?"

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would say most definitely

6. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    The end was particularly special the third viewing. Seeing Leia was difficult, yet "Hope" was just as much a message for the story as it was for me as a fan. Hope for the Rebellion and hope that we will continue to remember all the joy Carrie brought us. Of course we will; she's our princess.

EviL_eLF, whostheBossk and Jcuk like this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    After 3 viewings (so far), it's gotten better with each one. And I loved it the first time.

8. Davrum

Davrum Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2015
    I saw it three times in the first week and liked it slightly more each time.

With this film in particular, fed by trailers which contained 94% footage we didn't see in the film, multiple viewings aren't just recommended, they're necessary to wipe away the funk of expectations that can weigh down your first viewing (if you let them).

Dak Oolron and Ricardo Funes like this.
  9. AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt

AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2016
    It definitely does get better! I've seen it four times now in 3D and looking forward to an IMAX 3D showing in January. Cannot wait for the DVD - will watch it many more times than I watched TFA.

10. TommyGun-16

TommyGun-16 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    As many have already said, it gets better w/ each viewing. I gave RO a 9.0 the first time. Rating was raised to a 9.3 after the second viewing. Looking forward to seeing it a third time. Question I have for all of you. How many times do you plan to see RO? I'll probably stop at 3....but am considering 4 or 5.

11. TommyGun-16

TommyGun-16 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015

I learned of Carrie Fisher passing away after getting back from my 2nd viewing of RO. I was in a state of disbelief. And of course a bit sad when it all set in. I agree with you on the practical new meaning of "Hope" at the end of RO. It's no longer just a part of the story. It's a message for all fans. Kind of a keep your head up. Everything is going to be fine.

BenYodaDagobah and Sarge like this.
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    With the death of Carrie and Debbie but especially Carrie I think the last scene with Leia Is all the more Sweet and emotional. On Second view I didn't even notice Tarkin and Leia as CGI they were just characters in the movie!

Import_Jedi likes this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I have yet to hear anyone claim that it doesn't improve with multiple viewings. That's remarkable.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I do think it comes down to a combination of the way the film is made focusing on more subtle character/plot/world building and expectations with people thinking it was going to be a more standard theist/mission film on first viewing.

Honestly that is something I kind of lament in modern cinema, the idea that almost every blockbuster must be geared to maximum first viewing pleasure and not something you build up appreciation for over multiple viewings. If anything I find the opposite a lot of the time with modern blockbusters, the thrill ride and comedy keeps you entertained once but the cracks become much more obvious on multiple viewings.

15. SkooterDawg

SkooterDawg Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2016
    Saw the movie for the second time today, and the first time in 16 days. Vader's scenes and the final battle made me even more happy than the first time.

16. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    carrie's scene had added emotion to it for me when i saw it again today.

its just a really emotional movie even without that added weight.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Watched it again today. Your suspicions are correct: Yes... it becomes increasingly clear that Admiral Raddus is the main character with each viewing.

18. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    It doesn't. I think it actually DROPS in quality on the second viewing, because we can more easily pick out the nit-picks....especially with the strange editing and cinematography decisions made.

It's still the best of the Star Wars prequels, but nowhere near the quality of the original trilogy...or TFA.

That being said....
    - It honestly didn't feel like a Star Wars movie until halfway through. The lack of the opening title crawl was a misstep and the prologue showing the Erso family's involvement with the Empire really did nothing for me.

- The music was horrible. Giacchino was a poor choice, they should have gotten Joel McNeely.

- C-3PO and R2-D2's cameo was totally pointless. Would have been neat if we were to see them in the background in a long shot, like outside the temple or something. Make them a real Easter egg. You know how Pixar makes us WORK to find the Pizza Planet truck in every movie? Same deal.

- Also the blue milk. The cameraman actually decided to do a slow zoom in on the blue milk.
    Is blue milk Member Berry Juice?

- Surely Lucasfilm could afford a damn tripod, right? How about a gimbal mount? I understand using shaky-cam to put the audience in the middle of a pitched battle.....not so much when everyone is standing still and the camera keeps bouncing up and down like the cameraman is having a stroke. And it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME.

- Needed more Vader. I like that Tarkin is making his power play against Krennic, but Vader was always his enforcer. Ideally, Vader should have been alongside Tarkin for most of the movie. Give Krennic an even bigger reason to be afraid of failure....and would have made him even more fidgety in the final battle.

- Gareth Edwards went back to "Godzilla" mode by having a lot of things happen off-camera, which was frustrating. Not AS frustrating as in Godzilla, but still frustrating.
    For instance, I would have loved to see a Krennic POV shot seeing the Death Star laser warming up and the "I'm Totally Plucked" reaction as he realizes that he's just been hoisted by his own petard.

19. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
  20. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    I've seen it three times now, and I've enjoyed it just as much as the first time I saw it, if not more. To me, it's right up there with the OT.

21. solostarwars

solostarwars Jedi Padawan

Jan 6, 2016
    Definitely!! I've already seen it twice, and although I wasn't confused the first time, the second viewing did clear up any small questions I had. Not only this, but I was also able to enjoy the little things from the movie more because I caught onto every small detail that I didn't catch the first time.

22. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    I loved the film on my 6th viewing the same way as I loved it on my 1st one. CGI Tarkin and Saw definitely improve with repeat viewings.

23. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I would love to see it as much as possible (I saw TFA 7 times in the theatre and it would rank low on my saga rankings...) but life has been in the way this year. I've only managed 3 so far. What makes it particularly difficult is that I was able to take my daughter to TFA whereas I don't think that she could handle R1 quite as well so I have to find time to "sneak away" to watch it.

24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I loved the movie in my first viewing, and I loved even more in my second viewing although I also noticed more the flaws (if that makes sense). In my third viewing my general impressions didn't change, except that I began appreciating more the score because the tunes started to stick in my head. I plan to view it at least one more time in the theaters.

Overall, I am really happy with this movie. :)

25. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I saw it again today and it was even more incredible!

I'm very happy that Edwards, Kennedy, and Disney managed to deliver another incredible SW film.