main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Does Rogue One "improve" with multiple viewings?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Unkar's Muffins, Dec 21, 2016.

1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I loved it more the second time. The first time I found the beginning and the ending to be bigger buzzkills than I did on repeat. I wasn't sure if this was a movie I'll be watching over and over when the DVD comes out, but now I know for a fact it will be. This movie immerses me in the gffa exactly the way I like to be, the way ANH and ESB do. TFA doesn't even do that for me. I love the characters and the nostalgia of TFA, but it's just not quite at that level. R1 has that "lived in" feel in a way that is really authentic.

Blue 5 and Bennihana like this.
  2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I've seen it five times now and it does improve with multiple viewings. Although it's weird in that the things I like about the film I like more each time seeing and the problems I have with it are enhanced too. The last 40 minutes are just amazing and the score during those parts has grown on me too. It's still largely forgettable though but there are some great score moments during the end that took a few viewings for me to really enjoy. I still don't like the first 10 minutes after the introduction and Forrest Whitaker chewing scenery does absolutely nothing for me each time.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  3. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I would agree with that - yes there are certain aspects that I appreciate more (Chirrut and Baze in particular) on the second viewing, there are things I didn't much like the first time and still don't, and honestly can't see changing with any number of viewings, such as Whitaker's performance and the unnerving appearance of Not-Peter-Cushing in some scenes. None of them are really terrible nor do they mean I don't enjoy the film but they were weak aspects to me and remain as such.

4. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    4 times now, still get goosebumps during the battle of Scariff, 4th was also the 1st time since Fisher's passing so that added a little extra to the final scene.

1/2 is still good, but definitely is not holding up as well as the 2nd half. Opening through Jehda was still great, but the Edoo to Rogue One forming sequence dragged a little.

But this is exactly how I feel about ANH, especially when I see it too frequently. Opening sequence through arrival at remains of Alderan still great, death star sequence drags some, and then it picks back up for the finally.

5. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Definitely agree with this, seeing it 3 times now it has got better with each viewing with my 3rd viewing being very satisfactory. Having said that it is a trait with a lot of Star Wars movies, same thing happened with TFA.

6. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016
    Just went for the second viewing. Absolutely loved it again. At least as much as the first viewing.

However, I was with 2 people who didnt feel the same about Star Wars as I do. And they both didnt really like the first act. Probably even the first half. But the moment it reached Scariff they were all in. One of them really thought it was a shame there were no Jedi even though I had explained what kind of film it would be. They both were amazed by the CGI effects. They said Leia was done very well and I actually had to point out Tarkin's CGI and they just thought something was off but werent sure. Thats pretty good I guess.

- Overall some parts of the soundtrack really stuck with me a lot more. In fact I'm listening to it right now. It's growing on me and has some terrific moments.

- The deaths really hit me pretty hard again, despite knowing what was coming. I did find myself wishing Jyn and Cassian would kiss. I dont really know why because I didnt have that the first time. All the characters had their big moments before their deaths so that made it feel meaningfull. Bodi's death was the least devastating again.

- Another thing thats sort of a small criticism is I wasnt that amazed by the Death Star attack on Jedha. It was pushed to the background with Jyn and Galen's emotional moment with the hologram. Galen's speech seemed a bit too long now that I think of it.

- Anyone else feel some strange kind of sympathy for Krennic? Tarkin/Vader robbing him of his achievement, watching him scramble to Vaders lair and then desperately trying to correct his mistake on Scarif was pretty hard to watch for me.

7. AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt

AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2016
    Saw it for the 6th time tonight. I cried again when I saw gold and red leaders check in. Amazing space battle, but everything about this movie rocks.

MarcJordan likes this.
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Third viewing, but it was much more obvious how expositiony the dialog is. Lots of people explaining exactly what their names are and what they do.
    It has to be done to move the story along, sure.

9. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    uh yeah they explain the characters name. cause we've never seen any of them. yeah thats obvious

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh well done.

11. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I'll let you know when the Blu-ray releases. I just wasn't impressed enough by it to warrant a second cinema ticket.

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I've only seen it twice, it's better the second time. You guys put me to shame though.

13. KumixAyu

KumixAyu Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2017
    I diden't like the movie when i first saw it. Now i've seen it 3 times and love it.

DarthEndus likes this.
  14. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    I am hesitating on whether I should go see it for a 7th time. While I love the film, I don't want to get bored of it until the Blu-Ray hits. At the same time I don't want to wait 4 more months until I see it again. What would you guys recommend me?

Blue 5 likes this.
  15. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Maybe wait a few weeks for your next viewing? It's much better to wait and build up excitement than get burned out with the film.

16. Vader0706

Jan 2, 2017
    The problem is that I live in a smaller town and they probably won't be showing it more than a couple of more days (as most people saw it in the first couple of days and most screenings right now are almost empty).

Guidman likes this.
  17. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Well you my friend are caught between a rock and a hard place with that decision.

Wow, that's a pretty short theatrical run even for a small theater. There's three films going wide this weekend so say its a four screen theater, I would still think RO would get the last screen, based solely on the fact it would make the most per screen.

18. Vader0706

Jan 2, 2017
    Okay, maybe I said it too pesimistic, it actually might stay in the theater more than that (2 more weeks ,more probably). But I also have exams, etc. coming up so I am not sure what the best decision is.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just keep your options open. If you feel like going to see it, go see it. If you don't feel like going, then don't go see it. No need to overthink these things.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just got back from my second viewing. It was much more powerful for me the second time; I was much more emotionally invested in the characters.

MarcJordan and Gigoran Monk like this.
  21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Maybe it does but you will never get the joy of seeing it for the first time & not knowing what's going to happen next ect.....

22. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    yes it gets better with multiple viewings at first i didn't like bodhi but he has now grown on me. still love jym/k2/raddus

23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Another (possibly final) viewing for me in the theaters. It was even more awesome. The "weak" narrative glue I had noticed previously bothered me not at all this time. Tarkin looked nearly flawless (give those folks the Oscar already...) and I still tear up at the end. What a great entry in the Star Wars cinematic story.

Blue 5 likes this.
  24. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    The first time, I didn't think it was possible to improve my opinion on subsequent viewings, but for me it did! I loved it the first time, and I loved it even more the second time. This is one of the best SW movies for me. I'll be wearing out the DVD/BluRay when I get it. What visuals! What a way to immerse myself in the different worlds of the GFFA! Also, now I really mourn Jedha City, in a way that Alderaan never touched me before.

Blue 5 and MarcJordan like this.
  25. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    I've seen it twice in theaters and have watched certain scenes over and over using disreputable streaming sites. The first time I was so emotional at seeing a new Star Wars movie, so the second time didn't get as strong of a reaction in that respect but I still loved it. I was able to notice more of the details, but the flaws (and strengths!) poked out at me more.