does seeing the latest vintage line make you feel like a kid again?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by CGI-BOBAFENT, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. CGI-BOBAFENT Chosen One

star 4
    This is a question for all those 70s and 80s kids who are still collecting . What I'd like to know is does the modern vintage line take you back to how you felt as a kid and specifically which figure brings back the strongest memories.

Collecting Star Wars figures for me lost its appeal somewhere around the time ROTS was released and have had no inclination to buy any for a long time....although I've kept up to date with the latest releases through rebelscum . Today though I saw the vintage line actually on the pegs for the first time and it instantly took me back to the mid 80s ripping open wrapping paper at christmas to find klaatu and luke Jedi Knight [who I remember as my first own Star Wars figures] Looking through the racks I got that same thrill I did when I was a kid. The classic cardback design and bubble to me is Star Wars.

So to answer my own question for me it is definately Klaatu [or wooof :p ] and the rest of the Return of the Jedi wave, the ROTJ figs were my era and the ones I remember most fondly were anything Jabbas palace related.

Strangely though seeing Anakin on a vintage styled Revenge of the Sith card had a similar effect, not because of ROTS itself [as was my least favourite of the films] but it's almost as if it was the figure I always dreamed about as a kid when trying to have adventures with old Ben. I'd have to use my Vader and really wished I had an Anakin instead. The fact that the ROTS wave uses the same card design as the ROTJ wave only seems to bump up the nostalgia levels for me.

I was so excited to see these that I wanted to buy the whole lot.... current financial situation meant I sadly left empty handed but one things for sure, when I have saved up my "pocket money" it's the first place I'm going to head...and hopefully I'll have some change for a bag of sweets for the jouney home :)

L
  2. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    I wasn't lucky enough to be around for the original Vintage line, but I will say I love the Vintage Collection. I usually only buy figures I really like, but this is the first line where I have bought every single figure I saw. It's such a great idea on Hasbro's part and makes me feel like I'm living during Star Wars' prime years. :)
  3. JediMasterKendo Jedi Master

star 3
    yeah pretty much since I was a little kid in the early 80s and Return of the Jedi was the first Star Wars movie for me when I was 3 in 1983 obviously.

the new Vintage style cards do bring back alot of memories even I am amazed at the new vintage style card photos for the new figures like the other skiff Weequay and even vintage cards for the Sandtroopers.

Even the new vintage style card for Return of the Jedi Lando brings back memories for everyone whos had to have their parents go buy the triple logo card LOL
  4. whostheBossk Force Ghost

star 4
    Absolutely CGI-Bobafent!! I love the way it brings back memories. Granted, I don't remember getting those figures, I'm sure I
    gave my mom (who's recovering from surgery, thank u God), a fit about buying them. I did save my "out of the package" few. I haven't
    bought any of these figures yet, but when they go on clearance, I will definetly buy a couple from each movie probably.

I would disagree about the Star Wars toy collection not being great around and after ROTS though. It was exciting with the 30th anniv.
    and the McQuarrie figs to buy! I enjoyed it up until end of 2008 or so.

Anyone agree?
  5. norksby Jedi Padawan

they definately bring back great memories for me as i was seven when the first film came out ,i remember my mum taking me to see the film and straight after as a special treat we went to a toy shop called blundells in gillingham high street and she bought me two figures an r2 d2 and c3 po made by kenner .i later went on to buy loads more for birthdays xmas etc but tailed off as i got a bit older ,only to be re-kindled again with my two sons who now have a massive collection of new and vintage figures
  6. pretender Jedi Master

star 2
    Yeah, there is definitely something magical about the Vintage styling.

The card designs just seem nicer to me. Is it my imagination or do they stand out more than the newer cards? Like I can see them from across the store.

I also love the "soft goods" capes. For some reason even cheap fabric capes just seems more real to me. Plastic armor and fabric capes are how the costumes are made. It could be that.
  7. whostheBossk Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh definetly can't go wrong with the soft capes over plastic!!

Simple isn't always better, but seems to be the better option when you are designing figures. Case in point when Kenner went with big, super big muscle action figures for the Power of the Force and most, including me, did not like it. Although it did get me back into collecting.

Complicated figures are just over doing it and I wouldn't be interested unless it is a design of someone you really like (Darth Maul, Darth Revan, Obi Wan) and the special attention to detail is needed.

Yo Pretender, you've been around long time. like me. Wonder who on boards has been around the longest and what year?
  8. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the packaging for the classic characters, but not the prequels.
    Haven't seen any new figs in a long while.
    Was wondering if they were even still making new ones.
    :)

seems like every other post I have to put in twice. Something screwy with the servers, or is it just me?
  9. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Servers were acting up yesterday as quite a few people had the same problem. Looks like they might still be having issues..
  10. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Interesting to see how many of you just love the vintage line. Speaking as one who collected from day one when I used to make whiny, pleady noises to my Mom every time we went into our local drugstores and handed her handfuls of Kenner figures hoping beyond hope that they'd find their way into my figure cases - I don't know...I finally saw my first figures this weekend and I was very "meh" about them.

I really don't like seeing "Kenner" on Hasbro toys. I know they acquired the brand, but they're NOT Kenner. I prefer different packaging I guess. Why pretend that they're something that they're not? I like Hasbro's unique packaging ideas for things - like their cool Evolutions boxes.

The line is making it really confusing to search for stuff online, particularly if you're looking for actual vintage items.

I guess every toy company does this - Mattel has been doing repros of vintage Barbies for the past 20 years, complete w/ original packaging & dolls who look almost exactly like their originals and that doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure why this bothers me, but it does. I think it's probably because I feel like Hasbro is making money off of something that I hold sacred in my heart from my youth. Collecting the vintage items from Kenner was a part of my childhood, it was the joy that I felt when I ripped open a package under the tree and found a 12" Han Solo waiting for me - or sifting through pegs of figures looking for the very first Yoda and being triumphant when I found one. My Star Wars toys opened a whole new world for me to play in and imagine. The films themselves made a big impact on how I view the world today because they taught me to imagine the impossible.

Seeing the figures inside the vintage packaging doesn't give me that old time thrill - they make me sad. They just feel like cheap knock-offs to me. I got a much bigger thrill today when I picked up a MIB 12" Kenner Luke Skywalker figure - even w/ the box being so-so and it being mostly for display only - THAT brought me back to my youth, because it's the real deal, nothing can replace that. That packaging to me belongs to a special time in my development and growth into who I am today and I prefer it to stay that way.

BTW - I also saw the 12" sized vintage figures by Gentle Giant today and felt completely "meh" about them too.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.