main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Temple of Doom take place before Raiders?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by YoungAngus, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gopher_Tanis

Gopher_Tanis Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2006
    As for the remark about telling people he does not believe in things he does, thats training, and pretty much a reflex action, as an Undergraduate Archaeologist I would deny stuff I secretly believed in for credibility and so as not to be seen as part of the Lunatic fringe, so whatever therories I may secretly harbour about certain cultures technolgies I am not going to spout it out to a fellow professional, thats kind of gotten grained into me.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    As Indy's stories function more or less independently from eachother, no. :p

If you don't mind stretching abit, it's pretty obvious at the start of Raiders when he briefs the Army Intelligence guys that he isn't an Ark newb.

3. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    So if I were to watch all 3 films, which one would I watch in order??

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    The order in which they were released. No need to muck around with it.

5. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    ah okay. I was just wondering. lol

6. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    He definitely seemed a lot more wild in 'Temple'...he almost gets himself killed by Chinese kingpins in the begininng which sets the movie up nicely, IMO. In Raiders, he seemed more naive, like when Belloq tells him he should have chose his 'friends' better. He seemed more trusting in Raiders and Crusade than he did in Temple to me.

It would be strange to me to watch these in chronological order for that reason...I was like huh, he's somewhat low key in Raiders and then to find out in Temple that he was more mercenary as someone put it and more wild...I would be like 'huh, what happened to him?'

Maybe after Temple he didn't like taking too many chances, I don't know. Maybe it's like what he told Marion.."It's not the age, it's the mileage."

But yes, it does take place before Radiers and I always thought the movie was known as 'Radiers of the Lost Ark.":confused:

Okay, I'll stop making sense now...[face_worried]

7. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Ok, the way I see it is like this, in Temple Indy has a personality similar to Belloq, in that he's in it for the money, the "fortune and glory", after the events of Temple he's something of a changed man, more interested in preserving history. That's how I see it anyways.

8. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Everyone's missing the point.

The whole point of Indiana Jones is that he's a classic 1930's serial hero, meaning if he has any kind of arc or nuance whatsoever, which he probably doesn't, then it's going to be really basic. He's not about being subtle or discreet, or sophisticated, he's about representing certain heroic values and entertaining masses.

Temple comes first, because Karen Allen wasn't in it. And yes, now that someone's mentioned it, setting it further from WWII than Raiders probably helps (it's not pre-Nazi however, bearing in mind that Hitler was Chancellor of Germany from 1933 on).

9. petrus99

petrus99 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2004
    Even if Temple take place before Riders you have to watch it after or you gonna miss some funny thing.
    In Riders there's the a scene where Indy is fronted by a big guy swingin' sword in the market and Indy, not impressed by his ability just shots him.
    In Temple I remember a scene very similar, but Indy can't use the gun and that's what makes that scene so funny, but you wouldn't understand that if you didn't see Riders before.

10. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Lucas likes to put his stories out of order because it reminds him of his childhood. When he was a kid, you could go to a theater and watch these old action serials just before the main attraction. You might go to the movies one week, and see episode 15, but then a few weeks later, you would go back to that same theater to see a different movie, but the serial you were watching started recycling again; therefore, you may end up catching episode 4 that time.

The idea of these pre-movie serials was to get people to come back to the theater, at least, once a week.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I never thought of that, but it is possible.

12. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    The "Temple of Doom happened first" thing also ruins a joke within the movie. When Indy is confronted by the two Thuggie swordsman, he casually reaches for his gun - which isn't there this time. "Woops. I guess my gun ain't there like it was in the last movie. Doh."

If you haven't seen Raiders first, the joke makes no sense. I guess such issues mattered little to the screenwriters. :)

Watch Raiders first.

13. IndyFan89

IndyFan89 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2007
    He beleives in it! He just dosen't want to sound like a crazy man.

http://www.theraider.net/films/crusade/multimedia/sounds/ark.wav

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.