main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Does TFA reliance on OT imagery and plot points make it bad.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DrunkenJedi92, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrunkenJedi92

DrunkenJedi92 Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2015
    Wile the acting is good, the characters are interesting, and alot of mysteries and homages that compliment both the PT and OT, the lack of sulitly in the film is very off putting.

The third death star that comes out of nowhere just kills me. The planets (with the exception of Jakku) are some of the laziest planets in Star Wars history. Lastly, I knew there were going to be forced references in this movie cause its is JJ, but there were just too many.

I just feel like if it weren't for these "rules and standards" that the prequel haters have made for the franchise, this film could have been stood alot better on its own. Even when the PT pade homage to the OT, the sets and scenarios were always different. Most of the connections go past a'lot of people. This one, the mirror smybolism just felt so obvious and forced.

I feel like the Force Awkens could have been so much better if it had just tried to have its own identity instead of worry about "pleasing" me.

I hope the characters and setting get better developed in the next movie, but with the amount of praise the film is getting I'm not sure Disney won't try to do another lasy remake for the next one. Now that we had this experment, I want to see a Star Wars movie that will truly capture my imagination.

Riv_Shiel, P4KISTAN, lbr789 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I have not come across one person from family to friends to members of the public I have spoken to that give this film less than a 9 out of 10...I kid you not! That says everything to me.

Me personally - I loved it! Just like the OT there are only 1 or 2 minor things I would change and since you brought up the PT I would literally change everything apart from Darth Maul and I loved Kamino as a planet idea...

BadCane and ShaneP like this.
  3. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
  4. WrathofRunia

WrathofRunia Jedi Padawan

Oct 19, 2014
    It's the Star Wars movie where Han is killed by his son and Luke is missing. I don't think they were too worried about pleasing people on that front.

I feel those aspects, along with the new characters, definitely help set TFA apart from the other SW films. The structure and references are just a backdrop for the character introductions and the main plot of how Finn and/or Rey were "awakened."

It's not bad to me. I rather enjoyed the movie.

5. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    I think Star Wars has such an iconic and mythological status and vocabulary at this point, it would almost be impossible to avoid.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  6. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001

Lucas never did things like that. <coughAnakinbuildingC3P0cough>

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    No & this topic is taking a thrashing & I'm getting bored of it ......

8. KenMasters34

KenMasters34 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    i think it shows a lack of imagination. Aside from the BB-8, there was really nothing new here. Lucas gave us new worlds, new vehicles(like the Tie Fighter, Xwing, pod racers, speeders, AT walkers... etc). I am sure there are dozens of vehicles from the EU that Abrams could have introduced into the movies

So my biggest Gripes are the lack of cool toys and weak villians. Palpatine, Grevious, Vader, Maul, Crazy Anakin would all beat down Kylo at this point. The movie tricked me into thinking Kylo was awesome when he stopped a blaster mid air.... but then he got shot by chewie, stabbed by a janitor, then a beat down from a novice force user. Phasma was also extremely weak. Snook looks like gollum.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No. And /\ /\ NO.

KenMasters34, Snook? Are you watching Jersey Shore and posting about Star Wars?

It's SnOKE.

10. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i think it's a good film, but so much of it feels copied from IV and V that i expect the next one to be about Kylo 'obsessed with finding young Rey... and the Resistence who destroyed the death...er Starkiller Base'

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  11. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    It depends.
    For people who want to see a Dadaist collage of the OT’s greatest hits, no
    For people who want to see a new Star Wars movie, yes.

12. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    No.

The focus of TFA was on the characters. At the surface, it shares plot elements with ANH (droid carrying important plans/map, a super weapon destroying planets, etc.) but that's not what the core of the film is about.

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    First of all, TFA doesn't RELY on OT imagery and plot points. It relies primarily on the strength of its characters.

Secondly, even if it did rely heavily on these elements, that would not, in and of itself, be a bad thing.

14. KenMasters34

KenMasters34 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    Oh no I mispelled Gollum's alternate name. And are you disagreeing about what I said about the lack of new planets or vehicles? Aside from the BB-8 what did Abrams bring us?

15. DrunkenJedi92

DrunkenJedi92 Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2015
    The person who got the most character devlopment was Kylo Ren.

We still don't know who Ray is, who her parents were, or why she ever though they were coming back.

Finn would have been more interesting if his change had happed latter in the movie. If seeing your best friend get killed is enough to break out of years of brainwashing... why hasn't the entire order collapsed if they still have free will

Poe was great but he wasn't in the movie enough, but he still said and did more than Bobba and Maul.

I just feel like this movie could have just given us a new adventure with some good acting and effects and it still would have been enjoyable. Everything was just so underdeveloped, and I feel like Vader and the Emperor's death meant nothing. That happy Ewalk song in either version of the RoTJ was a lie.

lbr789 and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
  17. Dudu Wan Kenobi

Dudu Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, the Star Killer base made the filme worse than it could be, but by no means bad.

The whole Star Killer thing, by the way. I remember facepalming a lot. And don't get me wrong, some scenes with it were really cool, mostly how they handled the part where they shoot that beam of death, way more eventful than the Alderaan destruction in ANH... which is part of the problem. And the only critic I have regarding this movie.

Really, they could come up with something better than a bigger Death Star.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  18. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    It doesn't make it bad. It does explain why the movie is being so highly acclaimed and doing so great at the box office though.

DrunkenJedi92 likes this.
  19. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    It really doesn't seem that much like ANH too me. It just confuses me when people say it's a rehash. I've seen non-Star Wars fantasy films like Eragon that copy the originals much more.

I'm watching The Beginning Phantom Menace documentary right now and Lucas is talking about how it's going to rhyme with ANH and Anakin destroying the Federation ship is like a copy of Luke. And Anakin is found by a Jedi on Tatooine in that film just like Luke.

Eternal_Jedi and PymParticles like this.
  20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The best-acted, best-written, and funniest Star Wars film in over 30 years. :cool:

21. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    On the whole Star Killer thing, I hate that its name is a blatant reference to Luke's original last name.

DrunkenJedi92 and JEDI-RISING like this.
  22. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Doesn't the name describe exactly what it does though? It literally kills stars.

23. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001

This may be the second post of yours in a row that I've basically just QFT.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    While there were things I could use without like Starkiller base I don't think it's a detriment to the film and I can live with it.

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Did you miss what its purpose was? Seriously. :rolleyes:

a2dmusic, why thank you. :)

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.