main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does the Duel prove that Obi-Wan is better dueler than Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by HagentheSith, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HagentheSith

HagentheSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Everyone is waiting to see the Duel. What I'd like to know is whether this Duel between Anakin and Obi Wan will settle any doubts about which of the two is actually the better in saber fighting. So if Anakin fails in this duel...does this mean Obi Wan is necessarily the better swordsman?

2. darth-revenge

darth-revenge Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2004
    Nah, I hate to say it, but the little one is better than Obi-Wan on such matter...

Concentration was his mistake...

3. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    If you look at it compared to Ohm's law.....

oh who am I kidding, call in the scientist.

4. Lord_Plagueis

Lord_Plagueis Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2004
    does it prove Obi-Wan as a better wielder of a saber.... NO!! it does prove that he is a better Jedi in refusing to succumb to anger and the darkside. he was wise to exploit Anakin's weakness and to defend against some probably vicious blows physical and verbal from a well trained and potentially gifted Jedi.

5. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    Seriously, this guy had some crazy theory cooked up to show how ohm's law provedthat Obi Wan could easily win vs. Anakin. Of course the thread isn't there anymore, but it was interesting to say the least.

6. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Watch "Birth of the Lightsaber" in you OT DVD Extras (if you have it) and Lucas stats that Anakin is more powerful, while Obi-Wan has more experience.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not quite. Obi-wan proves that he can fight as a Jedi should, as opposed to Anakin, who is emotional and weak on a slope.

Obi-Wan of course defeats Anakin in Ep3, but winning one fight does not necessarily make one the best at it. - NG

8. HKFactory

HKFactory Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah but he also killed Darth Maul, and will kill GG. Killing them pretty much makes you at least one of the best at it.

9. crumbsalicious

crumbsalicious Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2004

No i think the duel will show the opposite, namely how superior Anakin is. But i think it will also show there is more to duelling than swordsmanship.

10. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Anakin_Heartbreaker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I think it will prove he gives as good as he gets

11. Darth_Hans_Gruber

Darth_Hans_Gruber Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2004
    Yes, Obi wan is badass

12. deadjedi_willbe

deadjedi_willbe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2003
    Obi-Wan owns the PT.

13. radford

radford Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    depends how it plays out.

if its a straight up swordfight and obi wins on pure saber skills, then i d say hes a better duelist.

if anakin trips up and gets cocky, and obi takes advantage then its up for debate who's better.

if anakin totally dominates and obi gets a lucky shot in then anakin is possibly better.

all i care is that its a good scene, isnt it the longest fight scene in any movie ever? i think i read that.

14. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    What about all the quotes that say that Anakin is better?

15. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

Didn't you guys read Darth-Sinister's reply? That quote in his reply is from stunt coordinator, Nick Gillard.

Anakin is probably better, but Obi-Wan manages to win this fight, somehow. Case closed.

16. Miaka_Yuki

Miaka_Yuki Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Yeah, one fight doesnt said much.

If Anakin didnt save Obi-Wan on some of their escapades, he wouldnt have the oppurtunity to kill Grievous. He's not there fighting Anakin. Anakin killed Dooku whereas Obi-Wan get laid twice. :p

17. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    The thing that makes me laugh about this argument (we've seen it before) is that folks maintain Anakin is better than Obi-Wan... except he makes a mistake and loses. Doesn't this argument mean then that Obi-Wan is better than Anakin because he doesn't make a mistake and wins the fight?

You can't say someone is better, if they lose.

Now, if you are saying Anakin is more skilled with a lightsaber than Obi-Wan, but still loses due to anger, etc - then it makes little difference because Anakin still loses.

It doesn't matter who has the greater skill, what matters is who wins the fight.

Obi-Wan wins, thus he is better.

18. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

"The thing that makes me laugh about this argument (we've seen it before) is that folks maintain Anakin is better than Obi-Wan... except he makes a mistake and loses. Doesn't this argument mean then that Obi-Wan is better than Anakin because he doesn't make a mistake and wins the fight?"

No. It doesn't.

Michael Jordan was a better basketball player than all of the shooting guards he used to go up against when he was in his prime. But, occasionally, someone on the other team would out-play him on a given night. Pele didn't always outscore everyone else on the field when he played Soccer. Mark Spitz didn't win every swimming race he was in when he was young. Sometimes, for various reasons and different circumstances, the best players can lose. Ultimately, these guys that I mention were all the best. But, even the best don't win every time.

19. Miaka_Yuki

Miaka_Yuki Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Obi-Wan wins, thus he is better

I dont belive in that. Its just LIke Michael Schumacher keeps on winning on the best car on the Grid.

We still dont know whats the cosequences of Anakin's distraction. If and when he's really emotional while fighting w/ Obi who's not using any feelings then it will show that maybe Anakin is fighting back and forth. It means he's not fully concentrated on that Duel.

As you see, if that so, Anakin is there and he isnt there at all. Obi's fighting w/ half of Anakin while he's full Force.

So if thats really what you wanted, Vader won over Kenobi on ANH. Does it mean Vader is a better dueler than when he's still Anakin?

20. crumbsalicious

crumbsalicious Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2004

Im not a big fan of the "whos the most poweferful" game. I dont think it is as easy as, well Dooku defeated Obiwan but Aankin defeats Dooku therefore........sometimes the Celtics win, Sometimes the lakers win, Sometimes though the Redsox win the World Series, and a 17 year old kid from Germany wins Wimbeldon. Its not so simple, and there are many different aspects to dueling. Also Nick Gillard stated that somewhere along the way "the fight gets emotional and we all know Obi-Wan doesnt get emotional" -------theres his home field advantage right there.

21. flenchgrain

flenchgrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    The duel proves Obi-Wan is a better jedi. Everything Yoda tells Luke to beware of and not give in too, Anakin does.

22. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Michael Jordan was a better basketball player than all of the shooting guards he used to go up against when he was in his prime. But, occasionally, someone on the other team would out-play him on a given night. Pele didn't always outscore everyone else on the field when he played Soccer. Mark Spitz didn't win every swimming race he was in when he was young. Sometimes, for various reasons and different circumstances, the best players can lose. Ultimately, these guys that I mention were all the best. But, even the best don't win every time.

Excellent analogies. I agree that the same concept applies here.

It is the fact that Obi-Wan can defeat the "Michael Jordan of lightsaber dueling" that is a testament to his character and, yes, his ability to fight.

If Anakin wasn't the best lightsaber dueler, Obi-Wan's victory wouldn't be as powerful.

I guess, if you want to get technical, if Anakin and Obi-Wan were fighting over the World Championship in Lightsaber Fighting, Obi-Wan would win the championship here. If you think being the champion makes you the best, then I guess Obi-Wan would qualify, but that isn't the case in the real world.

23. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

GL said that Anakin is more powerful ion the FOrce and a better fighter than Obi-wan, but Obi-wan wins because he knows Anakin and his weaknesses which no one else knows. Anakin's emotions get put of control so he can't focus on fighting, and Obi-wan takes advantage of that.

24. Captain_Solo15

Captain_Solo15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2004
    Anakin is not only defeated this one time, he's destroyed and his powers are forever diminished making his defeat and redemption possible. You can't beat someone more thoroughly than that and not kill them.

You can blame it on a slope, emotions, distractions but those are all weaknesses that serve to diminish his skills greatly. So if Anakin is stronger(physically) and has more Force power and even more moves (though Nick G also said that Obi-Wan has the most saber moves) but is weak in concentration, in difficult terrain, and lets his emotions get the best of him and these weaknesses swing the fight to Obi-Wan who doesn't have these weaknesses then Obi-Wan is the best duelist/fighter. Thats the way championships are won, who makes the least mistakes wins fair and square.

25. simonandjen

simonandjen Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    I think of it in terms of Rocky v Apollo Creed.

Apollo (Anakin) is more skilled and has natural ability whereas Rocky (Obi-Wan) has dedication, determination and the luck of the underdog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.