main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does the Duel prove that Obi-Wan is better dueler than Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by HagentheSith, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    amazing! it seems clear to me that someone really dislikes the fact that obi wan wins the duel. is it that hard for some people to accept that anakin is not the most perfect dueler?

it really doesn't matter how much you justify anakin's loss. it certainly won't change the fact. i suppose it may comfort some people though...

2. thesuperstarwarsfan

thesuperstarwarsfan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 21, 2004
    One time does not prove who is better. Does the Yankees losing to the Red Sox in Game 7 prove that the Red Sox are better? No!!!

Edit: Just so everyone knows, I am the biggest Yankee fan on the planet.

3. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    this isn't a league or the play offs. anakin and obi wan face eacther two times. technically it's a tie. however, obi wan chooses to lose in anh. unless anakin chooses to lose in rots, people will need to face the fact that obi wan is better.

some teams have shown that they have a unique talent for winning important games against certain opponents. check the stats. obi wan wins when it matters. that's what counts, and that's what makes him better than anakin.

4. Anakin-Sky-Walker

Anakin-Sky-Walker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Great job Ewok. Shut down those Annie worshipers. Has anyone of you ever read Dumas Musketeer series? D'Artagnan is certainly not the strongest man in France but he is still one of the best fighters due to wit experience (not in the first book) and intelligence.
    Its not always about strength, in a duel it actually never is. Obi Wan wins.
    Its not like sports at all people. In sports the loosing team will play another day. In duelling with swords its about hear and now. You wont get another chance if you die.
    Obi Wan cuts Anakin's healthy hand and both legs off. He also roast him in lava. Does that happen to a boxer or a soccer player(yes it happens every century to a formula 1 racer).
    I hope this argument is good enough for you guys :).

5. Ray_Stantz

Ray_Stantz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    Doesn't matter if it proves anything or not, people will always be so biased thats it's not funny anyway. (aka Anakin and Obi-Wan worshippers). Besides, they are gone and force ghosts now, and that means, I win... (And if anyone brings up Casper I'll kill you........ nah, j/k.... or am I?)

6. Anakin-Sky-Walker

Jan 14, 2005
    by my name you can see I prefer Anakin but I still think Obi Wan is the better dueller

7. Ray_Stantz

Jun 19, 2001
    Everyone has different opinions, kind of how NG and Anakin both think Anakin is a better duelist.

Now here is the question, could Luke Skywalker defeat Obi-Wan in a duel.

8. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    You can make all the excuses you want, George stating that Anakin is more powerful is not saying anything. He's more powerful at what? Potential Force power? What matters in a duel, is skill, intelligence, strategy, endurance, concentration. Sheer power is useless unless it's over-whelming and used effectively. Anakin has never used his power intelligently or effectively. He's all braun and passion with no cleverness, that's why he's not as good as Obi-Wan.

Captain_Solo15, one of the things you should think about is that George Lucas said that Anakin is very clever in AOTC.

So based on your logic, is Obi-Wan a better dueler than Darth Maul because he beat him? I want to hear your explaination.

9. Anakin-Sky-Walker

Jan 14, 2005
    Could Luke defeat Obi Wan? Hey we are talking about anno 13 years after TPM, ok. At this point in time Obi Wan IS better than Anakin, due to the reason I stated 5 posts up.

10. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    One time does not prove who is better. Does the Yankees losing to the Red Sox in Game 7 prove that the Red Sox are better? No!!!

I would agree with you if it was based on one game, but the Yankees lost four strait and had the biggest choke in sports playoff history. Bad example.

11. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Just for the record, because I CRINGE everytime I see it:

It's not dueler, or dueller, it's SWORDSMAN.

12. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree that brute power has little to due with victory in the SW movies. Technique, guile, intelligence, and control are all more important. Obi-Wan wins due to intelligence and control. He will likely avoid trying to match Anakin's power. I see a Jedi battle equivalent of Ali-Foreman. Obi-Wan will seek to keep Anakin off balance, get him fatigued, and wait for an opportunity to present itself. Obi-Wan will then skillfully exploit that opportunity.

13. Maverick4101

Maverick4101 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    All you will ever need to know about Obi-Wan vs. Anakin:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/recaps/2004/12/20/1308_recap.html

Anakin is better. Best out of 7!

George Lucas says Anakin is a better fighter
    Nick Gillard says Anakin is a better fighter
    D_Lowe Says Anakin is a better fighter
    And Yoda, Sidious, and Anakin are 9's on dueling scale
    and obi was is an 8 or something.

Obi Wan is the model Jedi, but when it comes to fighting I'll take choosen one turned sith lord any day of the week.

14. Dash_Renndar

Dash_Renndar Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 21, 2004
    He who bathes in hot, liquid, MAGMA can not be declared better

15. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    It's not dueler, or dueller, it's SWORDSMAN.

Thanks for the information. But I'd rather see those than people mispelling Wookiee, and Kashyyyk.

16. jedi_blue

jedi_blue Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2004

it's a done deal.

Anakin wins the duel minus a limb, but a splash of Lava certainly turned the tide.

You can all thank the will of the force for Anakin getting lava loving. Meant to be? or Coincidence?...ahhth the will of the force, as Yoda learns

17. Maverick4101

Apr 10, 2002
    Sweet so if Anakin was defeated in a bed full of flowers he could still be better?

Come on people, Obi Wan wins the duel because he has studied Anakin for such a long time and knows his weaknesses so well. The only one who could have a chance of beating Anakin is Obi Wan due to their past relationship, that doesn't mean that Obi is a better fighter. I just wish people would stop getting Jedi and fighter mixed up.

Little Timmy is better at debate than little bobby, there for Little Timmy is better at football.

18. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Maverick,

I agree with you that Anakin would probably win a best of seven. However, in combat one rarely receives a second chance.

19. Ray_Stantz

Jun 19, 2001
    Still though, put Anakin and Obi-wan in a dueling room and Anakin would come out on top. (I was just talking about Obi-Wan vs Luke because Luke didn't seem to have that much trouble fighting Vader, regardless of if Vader was holding back or not because until that one fateful moment, they both were.)

20. obianikdart

obianikdart Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    doesnt prove a damn thing
    luck was on obi wan's side
    Anakin is clearly more powerfull
    he is the CHOSEN ONE

21. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    luck was on obi wan's side

obi wan doesn't believe in luck! obi wan is truthfull (yes i know he twists the facts). if he truely believed luck was why he won, then he wouldn't have uttered this line in anh.

there's another explanation though. luck=the will of the force. in that case obi wan has a huge advantage over anakin.

22. Maverick4101

Apr 10, 2002
    In all honesty it doesn't matter they are both powerful in their own ways.

The best of 7 was a sports joke. I wasn't being serious. But Anakin does get a second chance against Dooku in ROTS and Obi in ANH.

23. Anakin-Sky-Walker

Jan 14, 2005
    I said in duelling you rarely get a second chance and thats true. Had Yoda not come to rescue them they would both be dead now. And Anakin does not get a second chance with Obi Wan. A machine called Lord Vader does and Obi clearly lets himself be killed there.
    Obi Wan in my opinion is after Yoda the best Yedi in the Saga.
    And when people say not duelist, SWORDSMAN there wrong because a Swordsman becomes a yedi becomes a duelist when he faces a Sith or another Yedi with a Lightsaber.

24. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Team sports do not serve as good analogies for this question. Did Michael Jordan ever lose big games??? Of course. But how many players were EVER going to beat a determined, riled up Jordan in a 1-on-1? Ever?

A better comparison is individual sports and most ideally, boxing. If you get knocked out, you are the loser. Plain and simple. Obi Wan defeats Anakin. He?s better. It doesn?t matter how much potential Anakin has dreamed of (or the fans have dreamt up for him). If he loses, he loses! Was Obi Wan better than Maul? He sure as hell was on the day it counted!!!

Fighting, sparring and dueling are all about the moment. It is applying skill and technique. Especially in battles to the death. I know many fans have created this mystique around Ani as this all powerful guy but he has been nothing close to it. He and Obi duel for a LONG time and Anakin cannot beat him. If Anakin was so much better why would he not just kill Obi in 2 minutes? Look at how quickly Dooku handled both Obi and Ani in AOTC? Shouldn?t new and improved Sith Ani be able to do the same?

But he can?t. We already know for a fact the duel will be very long. And in the end Ani couldn?t take it and dies. It doesn?t matter how it happens. When it comes to fights to the death the better fighter is the one standing in the end.

25. Bloodmourne

Bloodmourne Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2005
    you guys talk keep going with Obi-wan's experience vs. Anakins's power...imho you can't judge the duel like that. Look, Anakin is suppose to be "the greatest Jedi of all" blah blah..and he IS, he would win the fight against Obi-wan, he has more freakin POWER. but remember what Willem Dafoe(sp?) said, "The HEART Osborne, the HEART!" long story short, Padme interferes, she screams or yells or "cries out" or somethin, and Anakin stops doing triple-luxes for a second and BAM! Lightsaber-meets-face-meets-lava! see? doesn't that make sense? he IS the better fighter but he becomes distracted by his EMOTIONSSSS and loses. imho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.