main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does the Duel prove that Obi-Wan is better dueler than Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by HagentheSith, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Distractions...dismaractions! He lost. And lost badly.

2. poker

poker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Team sports do not serve as good analogies for this question. Did Michael Jordan ever lose big games??? Of course. But how many players were EVER going to beat a determined, riled up Jordan in a 1-on-1? Ever?

In fact, if MJ did some 1 on 1, he would get beaten sometimes. It depends on more factors than just talent, power, and dexterity. On any given night, someone can have the advantage. Fatigue can be a factor. Chance. Or just being BETTER AT THAT MOMENT! Never heard of players "on fire" ? Every one has bad nights. MJ had those.

At the duel, OB will have a better moment. Anakin is still better all around, but not at that moment.

Muhammed Ali is the best boxer ever, but he still lost fights.

3. Captain_Solo15

Captain_Solo15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2004
    No, because this isnt just any fight this is THE FIGHT. This is for the whole shebang. The fact that Anakin loses this fight means everything. Mostly that he's not the best fighter/duelist/strategist/intellect whatever.

This loss means that his power is forever diminished. That he loses his children to the Jedi. That he is destined to be a servant to Sidious and all Empirical generals.

If he can't win this fight, the one that means everything then he's not the best. The winner is the best. End of story.

Though I doubt Obi-Wan considers himself the winner.

4. Anakin-Sky-Walker

Anakin-Sky-Walker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    I feel sorry for Obi Wan. Has to live 20 years in the desert and be called a foolish old hermit by Owen. Man the guy has a hard existence. Looses his Master prematurely. Gets the worst Padawan ever. I mean he aint lucky so cut him some slack and let him be the winner which he is anyway.

5. Ray_Stantz

Ray_Stantz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    The way things have played out in all of the Star Wars films, I think the will of the force is what determines what happens next. Therefore I don't think Obi-Wan is necessarily better, I believe that Anakin loses the duel to Obi-Wan because it was meant to happen. It was the will of the force. Whether the force determines if you will end up a Sith or a Jedi is questionable, but no matter what side you choose, I think the consequences are based on that will.

Thats the question though. One side may say that you have a choice, while I somehow believe it is all based on fate.

I said this in another post.

""HE knows his dreams are the midichlorians telling him the will of the force and Padme will die. After he is assigned to Paplatine, he confides in him telling Palpatine about his dreams and that he wants to stop Padme from dying."

Guess Obi-Wan was truly right, "You cannot escape your destiny"

Anakin was listening to the will of the force and he sees Padme will die, so Sidious is able to convince him to turn against the Jedi in order to save her life. Little does Anakin know that he is the reason Padme dies during child birth. The vision has come true. The Will of the force is dominant and you cannot escape destiny."

Therefore thats my reason why I can say that Anakin couldn't win the duel but he is still a better fighter than Obi-Wan.

6. Anakin-Sky-Walker

Anakin-Sky-Walker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Thank You dude, if that were true I would like SW a lot less. I hope its not. I mean if everything happens by the will of the force why we need Humans. Bunch of Obedient robots would be more practical. So the Hero of the story is the Force. GREAT... not. Some opinions be good on this!

7. ANAK1N

ANAK1N Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2005
    Nick Gillard said a long time ago that Anakin has gone PAST Obi-Wan.

8. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    I don't know, honestly. It's like asking who's the better fighter, Frazier or Ali, before the fights happened. And it took 3 fights for us to find out who was better there! :)

9. ANAK1N

Jan 17, 2005
    Anakin all the way. He's better than Obi-Wan and you will see that in May. Anakin is going to punish Obi-Wan for most of the fight and Obi-Wan will capitalize on Anakins mistake. Remember what Nick Gillard said. Anakin gets emotional and Obi-Wan doesnt. Obi-Wan keeps cool and exploits Anakins weakness. But if we are talkin about whos the better fighter. Its Anakin allllllllllll the way.

10. ___Obi-1___

___Obi-1___ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2004
    ...all the way to the lava bath....[face_devil]

11. ANAK1N

Jan 17, 2005
    ^^
    LOL you got me...
    :)

12. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Ask yourself this.

Who's better the better swordsman? Darth Maul or Obi-Wan Kenobi?

13. Captain_Solo15

Captain_Solo15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2004
    Remember what Nick Gillard said. Anakin gets emotional and Obi-Wan doesnt. Obi-Wan keeps cool and exploits Anakins weakness.

Exactly. Obi-Wan exploits Anakin's weaknesses. That's what great fighters do, wear their opponents down and manipulate them into making mistakes and then chop off an arm and a leg just for the heck of it.

Obi-Wan beat Maul, just like he's going to beat Anakin. Humm... pretty coincindental dont you think.... Obi-Wan killing/dismembering both Sith apprentices. Must have their number.

Anyway you look at it Obi-Wan's the man.

14. ANAK1N

Jan 17, 2005
    Doesnt mean Anakin wont be punking the **** out of Obi-Wan the entire fight because hes better than him.

15. ANAK1N

Jan 17, 2005
    "Ewan McGregor can just do anything. I've known Ewan for years and whatever you give him to do, he can do it. I would have thought that no one could have become better than Ewan--after Phantom and Attack of the Clones, he just looked like the best. But Hayden learned fast and is now leagues ahead of everybody. He is terrifying!"

Thats whos really better. LOL jp

In the Jedi levels of lightsaber fighting, Obi-Wan is an eight, while Anakin, Yoda and Darth Sidious are nines. - Homing Beacon

16. jedieb

jedieb Jedi Master star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    This is what I WANT to see:

Anakin dominates much of the duel, then at the end, Obi-Wan gets lucky. So much of the prequels have been about building Anakin up to be the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy. A Jedi who could one day be even more powerful than Yoda. Anakin b-slappin' Dooku early in ROTS should be an early indication of just how far he's progressed since AOTC. I think ROTS will show that Anakin is clearly more powerful than Obi-Wan. Only Obi-Wan's maturity and experience allow him to stay in The Duel long enough to exploit a careless mistake on Anakin's part. Obi-Wan gets lucky. That's what I want to come away from the Duel with. Not so much because I worship Anakin, but because this is what the character has been built up to be.

Anakin really is a tragic figure. He will never reach his full potential. At the end of ROTS so little of him will be left that he will never be as powerful as he could have been. He'll never be the 20,000 midi-chlorian Jedi Master he could have been if he'd been trained as an infant at the Jedi Temple. Basically, Anakin is Mickey Mantle with his bad knees and live fast and die young lifestyle.

17. ANAK1N

Jan 17, 2005
    Nice post

18. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    According to what weve seen and know, Obiwan should be a better duelist than Anakin. I dont know how Anakin could get better at dueling than the people who taught him. That would mean that Obiwans skills have deminished and with the darkside comes better dueling skills- which makes no sense. Obiwan is wiser than hot-headed Anakin and that should be enough for him to win regardless of Annies strength. But Lucas has painted himself in a corner by trying to pass Anakin off as a hero and at the same time very powerful. The story goes that Obiwan defeated Anakin in the duel but with so much emphasis on the powerful "chosen one" that cant happen now.

What happens in the duel will be an accident. A cop-out as it is, Anakin will slip on a Bananna peel.

19. Ray_Stantz

Jun 19, 2001
    "Thank You dude, if that were true I would like SW a lot less. I hope its not. I mean if everything happens by the will of the force why we need Humans. Bunch of Obedient robots would be more practical. So the Hero of the story is the Force. GREAT... not. Some opinions be good on this! "

Do you question my opinion and Qui-Gon's belief that it was the force that made all of this possible by having fate bring them to tatooine to find Anakin?

Obviously the force's will is what allows the Sith to be vanquished by making Anakin the chosen one so I guess it wasn't that the prophecy was true, but that it just happened to turn out the way it did.

(Just clarifying MY opinion. Don't like it, don't take it, just have to defend what I said.)

Not saying that everything that happens is because its what the force wants, but that certain key moments are brought forth because of the force's will. (Plus its a plot detail that is used a lot in films that have to do with a prophecy, in that one person fears what may happen and tries to change all of it only to realize what he did caused the prophecy to become true.

20. ANAK1N

Jan 17, 2005
    In the Jedi levels of lightsaber fighting, Obi-Wan is an eight, while Anakin, Yoda and Darth Sidious are nines. - Homing Beacon

21. Ray_Stantz

Jun 19, 2001
    I guess if I pick a fight with Mike Tyson and pull out a gun and shoot him then I'm a better fighter because I exploited his weakness to bullets. (Sorry, but I usually set a quota for smart ass comments in a day...)

22. ANAK1N

Jan 17, 2005
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That is what Obi-Wan does to Greivous

23. Maverick4101

Maverick4101 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Neobaggins how can the student never become better than their master? It doesn't make any sense. So are you saying that I could never be better than any of my teachers at what they do? Just because Obi Wan taught Anakin doesn't mean that no matter what Obi Wan will always be better. So Qui-Gon is better than Obi Wan, Yoda's Master was better than Yoda, your old third grade teacher is better than you?

Besides they are so close to each other in overall skill, they are just different type of fighters.

24. Ray_Stantz

Jun 19, 2001
    Didn't think of that, funny... I guess Obi-Wan is a better fighter than Grevous.

25. SITHCOOP60

SITHCOOP60 Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2005
    It doesnt really matter because he kills obi wan in the 4 movie anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.