main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Does the First Order Rank and File Know About Snoke?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Silent Android, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    Do the First Order rank and file know who Snoke is? Do all the stormtroopers or TIE pilots or even radar technicians of Starkiller Base :) know who Snoke is? Apparently in the movie, the only ones who interact with Snoke are Kylo and Hux. Maybe Phasma knows of his existence, but there's no proof in the film. Is Snoke the public face of the First Order, or is Hux or Kylo Ren? Or is Snoke another "Phantom" antagonist in the story?

2. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Snoke is probably like Palpatine, who's the actual brains running the show but prefers not to show his face to the troops, letting Hux and Kylo (and Phasma, to a certain extent) do that instead.

Which explains why Hux and Kylo meet with Snoke meet regularly - they have to both update the Supreme Leader on developments related to the FO, and also receive new instructions from him.

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

3. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Absolutely they know, he is their supreme leader. He may not be visible often, but they know, just as the Stormtroopers of the Empire knew about Palps.

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Supreme Leader Snoke is actually Secret Supreme Leader Snoke.

5. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I'd say that an overtly fascistic organization would have an idea of who's the head honcho, yes. It seems to be a North Korea sort of thing where the supreme leader is generally distant from the public, who only have the official propaganda to go on.

6. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Given that Hux and Ren openly discuss him in front of the bridge crew, I think so.

AmySolo likes this.
  7. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016

But at least we know that Kim Jung-Un's face is plastered all over North Korea. So he is visible in that regard. And I'm sure he's all over the TV and newspapers there. But there's nothing in the movie that suggests Snoke's pretty face is seen all over the place...

8. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I would guess they all know of (and fear) Supreme Leader Snoke, but probably none have ever seen him or have any idea what he looks like. I wonder, does Leia even know who exactly he is?

AmySolo likes this.
  9. Kessel89

Kessel89 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    I also think they at least know of Snoke, although it's interesting that the Supreme Leader was not mentioned at all during Hux's rallying speech. There are a couple of officers behind Hux in that scene...

I wonder if any of the higher-ups in the FO know Kylo Ren's real identity.

10. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I think they know, just like the rank and file knew about Palptine, though they didn't know he was a Sith.

11. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    They definitely do. Kylo openly mentions him in front of other F.O. personnel ("Perhaps Leader Snoke should reconsider using a clone army.")

And every now and then Snoke hosts a barbecue for all First Order troops and watch pod-races on ESPN. :)

AmySolo likes this.
  12. Zalbaar

Zalbaar Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    I think they do, the fact they call him Supreme Leader alone is a huge hint to this.

13. LordDlow

LordDlow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Everyone kind of connects the dots to North Korea and Communisim given his title, my two cents it's not.
    There going for more of a connection to Iran, A Iranian Republic which is actually a Theocracy.
    Clerics have the ultimate say so, The Supreme Leader of Iran being the acctual ruler.
    The First Order sounds like a Religious Order, A Darkside Theocracy if you will.
    A Military Totalitarian Order run by a Darkside Elite (Knights of Ren) with "Snoke" being the defacto ruler/leader.

14. Darth Severus

Darth Severus Jedi Padawan

Jan 19, 2016
    It would be hard to image them not knowing who he was, seeing as how they would then all be logically following Hux fanatically instead. I like Hux in the movie but I would argue he's not the most terrifying presence.

15. LordDlow

LordDlow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I like Hux as well, they did kind of overdo the NAZI symbolism in the Rally scene (NOT the actors fail)
    I just felt his speech and the rally was a bit overdone.

16. Darth Severus

Darth Severus Jedi Padawan

Jan 19, 2016
    Yeah I agree.

Additionally, the whole line about the Republic which "acquiesces to disorder" or something like that felt way to intellectual of a phrasing to really have been understood by younger viewers (and perhaps even the rank and file members of the First Order).

LordDlow likes this.
  17. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    This actually sparked me asking the same question but then like Stoneymonster pointed out, they don't speak quietly to one another on the bridge so he does not appear to be a secret. But, much like the Wizard of Oz it would seem very few if any aside from Hux & Kyle get to meet him - even the hologram.

And true, it's a supreme leader much like NKorea, but instead of Snoke's image everywhere, it's the symbol. It makes me wonder if there were a power play between Hux & Snoke, Hux might have more rank and file on his side. Just a pondering.