main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

does the galaxy know vader is anakin

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthWolvo23, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    when palps introduces suited vader to the galaxy at large as his new right hand man/machine, does he spin them a story that vader used to be anakin and was harmed by a jedi ( a la himself), or does he give no explaination as to where he comes from and why he has the name of a sith?

2. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I've always thought that the galaxy saw suited Darth Vader as the man who killed all the Jedi, including Anakin Skywalker. So, the galaxy never knew who Darth Vader really was, but they knew that he killed the Republic?s "Hero" Anakin Skywalker along with the Jedi.

3. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    I think that all they know is that he was a former jedi who helped hunt down the other jedi for the emperor after Palpatine had two assaination attempts on him.(what the news would say that Mace vs. Palps and Yoda vs. palps were. They population is mostly as ignorant of the sith as han solo seems of the force in ANH. The only people who probably knew that Palps and vader were sith were the highter ups in the military like Tarkin and the moffs who plan the the coup in the betyral run of the Star Wars: Empire comic series. And the only ones who have known Vaders true Identity are Obiwan, Yoda, Palpatine, obiously vader himself, and possibly Bail Organa, Owen Lars, and Beru Lars. If you go by the EU then Prince Xizor finds out Vaders true name at some point.

4. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    couldnt the emporer have used the fact obi1 betrayed and injured anakin to his advantage, portraying vader as the victim of an attack?

5. Panaka_kicked_Padme

Panaka_kicked_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    I mean it must depend. Its clear that in tattoine they didnt know. or else luke would be told that his father is vader. you know? maybe some people do . i would be suprised tho. its not like when anakin killed the jedi he had a name tag that said darth vader. ya i donno

6. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    Maybe the galaxy didn't know. That could explain why no one ever suspected Luke was the son of a Dark Lord.

It's possible Palpatine told everyone that Anakin died at Mustafar.

There's no way of knowing that Vader is Anakin by physical appearance or voice.

7. Xephalon

Xephalon Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    i would like to say somthing to guy dublanc your are WRONG dont u remember anikin killed the younglings and all the other jedi in training obi wan saw when palpatine was knighting Anikin to Darth Vader

8. Annatar

Annatar Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2005
    would like to say somthing to guy dublanc your are WRONG dont u remember anikin killed the younglings and all the other jedi in training obi wan saw when palpatine was knighting Anikin to Darth Vader

Actually, dude: he's right. The only evidence we have of anyone hearing Anakin called Vader before the suit went on is Obi-Wan and Yoda, like you said, and the Separatist leaders. However, the two Jedi are regarded as traitors and both end up as hermits on remote planets; the Separatists bite it. There definately weren't any Jedi around to spread the word that Anakin had a name change, and The Empire isn't going to show a video where its 'hero' slaughters children, just to say "Hey, we've got the Hero of the Clone Wars!" No living witnesses, or witnesses that are telling, have seen or heard of Anakin being Vader.

9. Rouge_Three

Rouge_Three Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    "couldnt the emporer have used the fact obi1 betrayed and injured anakin to his advantage, portraying vader as the victim of an attack?"

There's really no point to that since the Emperor already accused the entire Jedi Order of trying to assassinate himself, apparantly appealing to the senate full fold.

I would say that Palpitine probably played it out as if Anakin Skywalker was no more and Darth Vader had risen from the ashes. After all, pretty much none of the general populous even knew that Anakin had gone to the dark side. Most probably assumed, him being a Jedi, that he too had become an enemy of the Empire like all other Jedis, and was probably killed in the attack on the temple. Since everyone aside from Palpitine, Obi-Wan, and Yoda who knew that Anakin had turned died, there was no rumors. The Emperor probably had no real goal of revealing Vader's identity, Yoda was in the middle of nowhere, and Obi-Wan probably swore to secrecy in order to protect Luke and keep him from learning the truth.

10. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    Thanks, Annatar.

I was thinking that the only ones who saw Anakin survive might have been the Clone Troopers who accompanied Palpatine to Mustafar.

But it's obvious that their obedience to the Empire would supersede any desire to tell the general public that Anakin lives and is now Vader. Besides, if Palpatine wanted to keep Vader's identity a secret, he could have simply killed those clones off (and probably did).

11. Hypernova

Hypernova Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Owen, Beru, OB1, Yoda, Bail Organa seem the only ones who know

12. Princess_Amidala

Princess_Amidala Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    Only Yoda and Obi-Wan saw Anakin turn to the dark side. The younglings knew but they were killed.You can tell Owen and Beru knew because in ANH Beru tells Owen "he has to much of his farther in him" then Owen replies "That's what i'm afraid of" So they knew but did not say anything to Luke because they did not want Luke turning out the same way as Anakin did.That
    is why they stopped Obi-Wan/Old Ben seeing Luke but he stayed close by incase the Empire found out were he
    lived and tried to change him to the dark side but because Luke knew nothing about the force he would of changed even easier than Anakin.

13. imscorpia

imscorpia Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    "he has too much of his father in him" - I think they refer to his "father", the heroic jedi (and look where they are all now, dead) - they fear not the dark evil he could become, but the grand adventurer in a universe not so kind. They want him close to home and no illusions of "making a difference".. I don't think they know Darth Vader's former identity. Its all the more tragic for "every man" that the poster boy jedi of the clone wars didn't survive. And then the discrediting of jedi.. though in later years there still seems to be respect for jedi, a lie not totally bought into as the empire's nature became more apparent.

MHO, of course..

scorp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.