Does the Idaho Falls Star Wars Alliance need a new name?

Discussion in 'Idaho Falls, ID' started by Oscar_the_Gungan, Sep 10, 2004.

?

Does the Idaho Falls Star Wars Alliance need a new name?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
Yes. 6 vote(s) 85.7%
No. 1 vote(s) 14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Knight

star 3
  2. Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Knight

star 3
    There has been talk among some of us that maybe the name Idaho Falls Star Wars Alliance is too long and unwieldy and that maybe before all the big events happen in the next 8 months a new name may be in order. What does everyone think. Does anyone have any suggestions or is it better the way it is. If we do change out name it will need to be soon.
  3. Ariadnae1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think The Millennium Falls Society would be cool.
  4. RABIDJAWA Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think it would be a right capital idea. IFSWA isn't very catchy; it doesn't pop. To paraphrase a line from "Dogma": We need a renewal not only of title, but also of style.

How's about "The Upper Valley Wastes"? As in "The Upper Valley Wastes are not to be travelled lightly."

5. Marvincade Jedi Knight

A shorter puncher name is necessary. However Millenium Falls Society sounds a little too suicide cult like. Greedo's Dead Poet Society, now that sounds perfectly --- Terrible I can't think of anything at this exact second. Oh well.
  6. Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Heres what we brainstormed at the meeting:::::

IF-88

IdaHOTH (And we get a group picture when we are neck deep in snow)
  7. Ariadnae1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    This topic will be on the meeting agenda, and it is the hope that we will be starting the new year with a new name. Having a decision made by the end of the December meeting would be ideal.

Don't forget, we need to get a new name, and a new icon.
  8. Marvincade Jedi Knight

Barry has got the best suggestions so far. I'm kind of leaning more for the IdaHoth because ESB was the best of the original three movies and it is both short and clear that it is a SW group.

As far as the picture idea goes how about we bury Barry instead with just the feet showing.
  9. mater_storm Jedi Padawan

I know I'm new so my word may not hold a lot of baring. But you need something short, that sounds good, and well let people know your from Idaho Falls, and that this is a star wars group. Don't be to serious with the name. Most people think star wars fan a "to" serious about star wars, and that is what scares there(a little). Well heres what I have let me know what you think.
    Eagle Rock Rebel Scum
    it says where we're from, that we like star wars, we're not to serious about it or areselfs, and it's short. ERRS isn't bad or I don't know maybe just ERS.
    A name well help more people come to us so we can worp there minds(most inprotent). Plez. tell me what you think.
  10. mater_storm Jedi Padawan

also I'll see what I can do with the sign. Art is a big hobby for me. I hear that Barry is a FX artist, maybe he well help me. I can do art, but computers are a no go for me.
  11. Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I completly agree with you about that one. I have felt that IFSWA sounded almost too formal. And I'd really like to project to the community that we get together and have fun and that we don't take things so seriously that we suck the fun out of things that are suppose to be fun, like Star Wars. Maybe if we get four or five ideas everyone kind of likes, we can have a vote. I'm thinking since there is a 501st group here our name should either be Rebellion, Jedi or from some fringe element of the SW universe.
    Eagle Rock Rebel Scum is good
    or maybe the Snake River Rebel Scum or something like that.

EDIT: Fixed typo -JR
  12. Ariadnae1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    After conversing with Laura today and lunch, and getting the whole "hoth" thing explained to me (makes you wonder why i am even in this group, huh???) I am thinking Ida-hoth would be cool, but i also think that maybe Ida-hoth Rebel Scum would be cool too. Since our major season is winter, the hoth thing is a good idea.
  13. nordicgal Jedi Knight

star 2
    Personally, I would love to see us adopt a new name, along with a new logo. Let's talk about it in our October and November meetings, and then we can vote on it in our December meeting. Erin and I have been talking about getting club stationery, checks, T-shirts, etc., and it would be nice to start 2005 with these new things.

If you like to draw, bring your ideas for a logo to the next 2 meetings. If we have enough entries, we could vote on which one to use.

My 2 cents.....I like IdaHoth. Short and simple.
  14. RABIDJAWA Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hate to be the voice of dissent (well, not really), but I don't really like the name IdaHoth. It seems a little too pun-esque (besides are we really that Hoth-like compared to, say, Iceland?). Besides, it sounds too much like the name of a pharmaceuticals company: Here at IdaHoth, we are on the leading edge of developing the next generation of birth control.

Not that I've thought of anything better...
  15. Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    So much to trade off.

A short name is quick off the tongue, but not descriptive.

A long name is accurate, but is, well, LOOOONG.

I guess if Iceland complains about Hoth, then they can screw themselves.
    "Rebel Scum" might be alright but there is a website with that name already.

So before we vote on the name, we need to vote on priority. Do we want short and punny? (Which is what I thought the point was, to compete with "Milwookie") Or long? We already have a long name. What was the major grip with IFSWA? Too unimaginative?
  16. durfnaderjessicabood Jedi Padawan

YES, SOMETHING THAT WILL CATCH YOUR EYE.
  17. jediwannabe1964 Jedi Padawan

Since it seems to be a popular topic in your forum, perhaps the Idaho Falls Harold and Kumar club?
  18. Ariadnae1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks for your input Jediwannabe1964. It was a movie that some of us watched and liked. Since we are a Star Wars club, we want to have a Star Wars related name. May I ask who you are?

Erin
  19. jediwannabe1964 Jedi Padawan

Sorry, My name is Jen and I'm a fan from Pocatello. I've been lurking here for a while and was curious what your club does. Based on what I've seen I don't think your club is anything that interests me.
  20. Jealously_Guarded Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well it would a such a long drive from Pocy anyway.
    But come on. What DONT we do? We make our own films, hang out to watch films, make costumes, have BBQ's and get togethers, and are planning a huge trip to see Celebration 3. I thought we had all the bases covered. At least far above average.

But maybe you have been who we are looking for. I always thought it outrageous that a college town like Pocy cant support its own SW group. You could light a fire under some people to get one started.
  21. Ariadnae1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thank you for making that point. We also do fundraisers, like Bowling for Kids's Sake, and toys for tots.
  22. mater_storm Jedi Padawan

The Star Wars group here is kinda rag tag group. However the people are nice and it better then nothing. Also all together we'er just star wars fans who like to help where we can, but everyone has something about star war thay can do, and most are all different. You can find someone to help you with anything it seams. Where it's cost-play, video game, film, or just getting togeter and having fun, and more.

I'm new to the group, and not really into everything thay do. However as a young collage age guy I can find good things to do and have fun at it too. Like I said the group is kinda rag tag but if you like anything about star wars this is a good place to be(start). and there are some younger people there too.
    hope to see you there.

23. Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Rag Tag? I thought that to be a plus. We have all shapes and sizes, all interests and hobbies. Without being a military organization, I thought we had a good routine going.
  24. Marvincade Jedi Knight

Sorry to be suspious, but jediwannabe1964 or 'Jen' registered this month and just happens to mention an old and obsure Harold and Kumar link. The very subject that happened to upset one former member. What is going on here? Just a stranger that happens to say that this one posting has pushed her away? I won't bite, this is a dead subject. The group has not made that post a matter of REAL discussion for a long time. Jediwannable1964 is pulling our collective chain, as clumsy as an attempt this was I don't think anyone in the group is particularly interested in discussing Harold and Kumar any further. Besides anyone seriously upset by a silly movie is not worth the time.
  25. RABIDJAWA Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh "Harold and Kumar", my butt!! After witnessing "Team America", I think we oughtta call ourselves "Spottswood's Posse"!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.