main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Does the Kenobi bloodline deserve to live on in the ST?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by angrysithHerder, May 10, 2016.

1. angrysithHerder

angrysithHerder Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2016
    Just like the title states. Can you really have star wars without Kenobi? I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this thread so mods if you lock me down tell me where to post please.

Obi-Wan is now my all time favorite SW character and I would love a SA movie that would bring back Ewan in the robes.

What do you guys think? Do you want to see Obi-Wan live on in the ST? I'm not gonna say he's related to Rey or anything but I would live to see him live on. Plus the thought of a jedi/mandalorian hybrid seems way too awesome to pass up. Makes me giddy just thinking about it

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Moved this to the Saga Forum. Seems more appropriate there.

3. angrysithHerder

Apr 17, 2016
  4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Baby, look sometimes u just have to let go. Besides maybe Obi had a sister or younger brother.

But I know just how u feel. I don't want Ren 2 be the last Skywalker!

AshiusX likes this.
  5. angrysithHerder

Apr 17, 2016
    Don't troll me on my own post! ;) and just to let you know I will never let it go! Does that mean your answer is no?

6. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Oh read again, made an edit. We're in the same boat.

7. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Shouldn't the question be: Does Kenobi deserve to finally be able to take a break in the ST?

:p

As the illustrious AprilMayJune put it:
    :_|

8. angrysithHerder

Apr 17, 2016
    Oh man that is really hilarious. I really can't get enough obi-wan but maybe I guess it's time for him to get the win. The duty of the Kenobi bloodline is to finally shut those crybaby skywalkers up for good :) One bearded Jedi to rule them all!

Sepra, AprilMayJune and Valiowk like this.
  9. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm enjoying having my crazy cross-posted, hahahaha.

But yes: he deserves to catch a break, but nothing in this franchise can ever have too much Obi-Wan. So it's a tough call, since, as we know, no one who writes for this series will ever allow him to be happy under any circumstances whatsoever. I don't know how much more Kenobi Pathos my fragile emotional state can handle.

angrysithHerder and Valiowk like this.
  10. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    I wanted Rey to be both a Kenboi and a Skywalker!

mes520 and AprilMayJune like this.
  11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Me too!

AshiusX likes this.
  12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Sky-Nobi?

AshiusX likes this.
  13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The more Kenobi the better.

14. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    In ROJ Kenobi told Luke that Yoda would always be with him, obviously excluding himself.

When I heard that it was Ewan McGregor's voice talking to Rey in TFA, this seemed to explain things a bit (Kenobi had to take care of others as a Force ghost), but from what I read in the boards the outspoken majority of fans expects Rey to be of Skywalker heritage, and Disney will probably meet these expectations. :(

15. angrysithHerder

Apr 17, 2016
    Yeah I've already been shot down on the Rey's parents thread a couple times and I'm not suggesting Obi-Wan is related to Rey. I just want him to be related to somebody that gets trained as a Jedi. I don't care if it's Finn. It would probably be easier to explain if it was. I just feel even though SW is about the Skywalker bloodline it can't be Star Wars without Obi-Wan. He is so integral to the story in ep 1-6. He is the ultimate Jedi (to me at least) and I want to see Kenobi live on

Valairy Scot likes this.
  16. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Obi Wan is an amazing Jedi, but it is that very reason that I don't want his "bloodline" to continue. Sure as some people mentioned maybe he had siblings, or relatives that passed on his bloodline, but that would sure come out of nowhere, especially since he likely never met his family before, being taken so young. I also don't want him to have a wife or children of his own as it wouldn't feel right, from my POV that would be a Dereliction of his Jedi duty. Jedi are not supposed to have attachments, something I happen to agree with in that regard, and he was supposed to be watching over Luke alone for those twenty years. Plus it raised the question of what happened to them in that timeframe as they couldn't just disappear. It would be weird is all. Maybe his ghost can show up, but I really don't want a relative to appear. Its better having the mystery I think.

Valiowk likes this.
  17. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    A confession: a reason for my love for many Star Wars characters is because I love Obi-Wan and he's connected to them. It's the same way one can love family for simply being family, although the degree of love admittedly lessens with degree of separation. In particular, I regard the Skywalkers as one of Obi-Wan's two main extended families - the other being the Jedi Order. The Jedi Order is his main extended family of the past; the Skywalkers are his main extended family of the future, and Obi-Wan is connected to them via training not only Anakin, but also Luke, to be a Jedi. In this sense, to me, personally, Episodes I to VI are less "the Tragedy of Darth Vader" as "the Tragedy of the Master whose Apprentice Turned to the Dark Side and who Dedicated the Rest of His Life to Ensuring that what the Chosen One should have Accomplished Eventually Came True", and for me, it's enough that a part of who he was lives on in this extended family. I think what one passes on through teachings is just as meaningful as what one passes on through a bloodline. :)

18. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Maybe Hux is a Kenobi? Makes more sense than Rey.

And also just to be clear: Obi-Wan had attachments. Obi-Wan loved. The only person Obi-Wan loved he left to die and then spent 20 years on a desert hell making sure that he still did right by that person. I can't think of anything more tragic.

19. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I really like this thread. Some may be familiar with the works of comparative mythologist Joseph Campbell (a big influence on the storybuilding of Star Wars by George Lucas' own admission) and I'd like to turn your attention on the Hero's Journey: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

Curious thing is: According to this hero "pattern" the true hero of ANH would be rather Obi-Wan Kenobi than Luke. ;)

Valairy Scot likes this.
  20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Well I think it shouldn't. Obi-Wan having a child at some point whose descendant appears in the sequel trilogy seems to be a betrayal of the character. Obi-Wan became a hermit, and focused on protecting Luke more than anything else. There is really no reason to have a long-term or short-term relationship with someone in that time.

21. BriXman

BriXman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2015
    Imagine a Mandalorian smuggler, living his life knowing nothing of his past in in the newly formed Empire, who meets Han Solo, and eventually Luke, who trains him to be a Jedi in the New Republic.

22. angrysithHerder

Apr 17, 2016
    Man sorry I had to take a break but thx for the discussion! A lot of good points here and it would be impossible for me to tag and quote everyone.

I really want a standalone movie for Obi-Wan and it would be epic to see Ewan in the robes again (to me the best part of the PT). Now Obi-Wan is the ultimate Jedi but he is still human and no matter what nobody is perfect. So he didn't have many attachments but he did have a couple. Sabine (a mandalorian queen from the clone wars cartoon) and obviously Anakin. How I see it is that at the end of ep 3 he thinks Anakin is dead. In ep 4 he knows he is alive. So if he was really a hermit for the ENTIRE time then how would he really know that for sure? My thought is at some point he hears rumors and feels obligated to find out. So he is conflicted, distraught, and probably the most vulnerable he has ever been. Who's to say it's out of the question that he doesn't run into Sabine's mandalorian terrorist sister in his search for Vader? And who's to say that being reminded of the only person he really loved in that way while hunting for the other person he really loved couldn't lead to a moment of weakness? Would that really tarnish his Jedi legacy?

23. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

I think Mando's feel smuggling is below 'em.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  25. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Nope...Obi-Wan is only human, as we know. I am not saying he would or would not "succumb" to a moment of weakness, but he would have weak moments. I can accept whatever the story dictates.