Discussion Does The Media Have A Responsibility To Avoid Spoiling Episode VII (and other movies)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by dolphin, Jun 4, 2014.

?

Does the media have the responsibility to not spoil Episode VII and other movies?

Yes 11 vote(s) 47.8%
No 5 vote(s) 21.7%
Yes and No 6 vote(s) 26.1%
Undecided 1 vote(s) 4.3%
  1. dolphin Chosen One

star 4
    I think the media has a responsibility to the extent of putting spoiler tags in front of articles but I have no faith that all popular blogs and outlets will keep to that practice.

Also, what if a major plot detail gets spread around so wide and far that the media decides it's now "common knowledge"?

"It is what it is", "welcome to the age of the internet" and "You have a choice of getting off the internet for the next 18 months" is either dodging the issue or lazy thinking IMO.

Also, I've heard people say, "Well, if a plot twist like Luke becoming a Sith (I made that up) gets out there then I'd start to get worried". Guess what Sherlock? The cat is already out of the bag.

Your thoughts?
    Sarge likes this.
  2. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    As I recently posted in the "Spoiler Alert" thread...

Let's please be careful and not even give hints here as to the types of spoilers being discussed in the SA forum.
  3. Sarge Chosen One

star 4
    I agree that the media have that responsibility. But I believe they are irresponsible. So some jerk is going to spill the beans in the name of ratings and scoops.
    TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  4. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    It's always funny when online articles about new or upcoming movies, etc. get to the point of giving spoilers within the article and think they're covered by having a small break in the article and a note like "Warning: Possible spoilers follow."
    dolphin and GGrievous like this.
  5. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Some spoilers but don't go overboard.
  6. Jetedonne Pur-Pureus Force Ghost

star 4
    Whenever I see comments like "It is what it is", "Welcome to the age of the internet" and "You have a choice of getting off the internet for the next 18 months" I always try to remember that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit/humor... and then I try to zing 'em back. Turning a blind eye to cynicism is a sound judgment in the moment, but the glory you get from invalidating their statements... that is eternal.

As for medias' responsibilities, at this point, I would like to believe that they do not care, otherwise they are just irresponsible. I mean, imagine if all of these scoops on Star Wars (& other films) were leaked by accident after someone typed them up, and inserted the images just to see what it would look like if presented professionally, then the person unexpectedly hit send... that would just be downright embarrassing. I would personally choose ignorance over incompetence from my media.
    Last edited by Jetedonne Pur-Pureus, Jun 5, 2014
  7. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I posted this in another forum but I'm repeating it here: I'm shocked at what passes for "journalistic integrity" these days.

Gossip and entertainment sites post **** from "anonymous sources" and then say that if the source were revealed, he/she would be fired from Disney/LFL/whoever.

So why is the media taking advantage of that situation and treating the idea of hiding information on an upcoming movie like the ****ing Watergate scandal?

"Abrams isn't telling us who goes Sith in Episode VII and we have the right to know, dammit."

Yes, I think the media does have a responsibility, and they don't care to accept it, and as such, I hope Abrams and Co. troll the hell out of the demanding vultures with fake spoilers.
  8. Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't mind the media posting spoilers - it's what they do. But when they post the spoiler IN THE FREAKING HEADLINE OR LINK - something I can't possibly avoid seeing - that's when they're being irresponsible.
  9. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Nothing makes me angrier when I'm reading an article about something that has yet to come out and it contains a spoiler without a warning. This seems to happen to me more with TV shows than movies, but yes, I do think the media has a responsibility to warn people if something contains spoilers.

I realize the person writing the article usually gets an advanced copy and they want to be the first with the review or breakdown or whatever, fine... but it needs to be clear that a spoiler is within before the person reading could accidentally see something.
    TigerCraneFist likes this.
  10. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    The media is the media. It is what it is. They'll spill whatever it is they're given.

Frankly, whoever the informants are and what info they are giving are more important to this than the media, who just blindly follows along with what material they have. A story is a story, and their ratings will likely increase. So the media wins.
    Last edited by Jedi Gunny, Jun 7, 2014
    TheOneX_Eleazar and Frank T. like this.
  11. Bobatron Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Somewhat related, would Episode VII-related pictures from the set used as profile pictures here count as spoilers?
    Last edited by Bobatron, Jun 7, 2014
  12. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    They said the other week that they were talking about that. I asked because of the Bob pictures.
  13. TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost

star 3
    I unsubscribed from one blog's Facebook page because of this stuff...and by reading the comments, I wasn't the only one! I wouldn't object if they posted a stock "Star Wars" logo and a vaguer story title, but golly gosh, no such luck.
    TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  14. mratm23 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I know the guy who runs a pretty big movie news site and he has told me that he's gotten legal threats from studios because he's leaking details of their films. They eventually just drop it since a bunch of other sites share it across the whole internet, so it's impossible to control it once it's out there.
  15. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yes they do but most only care about generating income from sales and hits

Can't really criticise them though since it works - so the fault (for want of a better word) lies with those who follow them
  16. dolphin Chosen One

star 4

But not everyone is a follower. The issue is collateral damage (those who want to avoid spoilers but can't because of the continued business generated by consumers who read/don't mind spoilers).
    Sarge likes this.
  17. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Yes, that is what I meant - you put it better than I ;)
    dolphin likes this.
  18. Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Master

star 2
    I think the media has the responsibility of at least warning others of spoilers. There are some sites, like IGN, that put spoilers in headlines just to get traffic. I can't even trust most sites anymore.
  19. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    It's really how the site handles it in the headlines that count. Not very man put in that a character dies in a headline, however, they do headline it so it's really really really obvious, "Emma Stone talks about Gwen Stacy's (SPOILER!) scene in Spider-Man". Mostly not as big sites will flat-out put it in the headline. Or there's a link to the story and a picture of the now-dead character is usually a good indication. Most sites generally go for the really obvious not-quite-but-really spoiler headline.

Honestly, though, with Star Wars it's something of a different ballgame. The only "responsibility" that the media has at that point is to drive hits to their site / article. That usually means flat-out spoilers.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Jul 22, 2014
    stormcloud8 likes this.
  20. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Other than alerting potential spoilers, i don't think it's the medias responsibility to avoid spoiling any project. It's the responsibility of the filmmakers and their corporate masters to avoid leaks.
  21. mes520 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Their only responsibility is make money.
  22. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    If that's the case, no business owner ever has the obligation to behave ethically.
    Frank T. and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  23. Lord Chazza Force Ghost

star 4
    Fixed.
  24. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    I doubt they will.
    Pretty soon I'll have to stop looking at any online new related to Ep VII because I predict that articles will just blatantly say "such and such happens when so and so does this" or something. I'll want to avoid as many details as I can of course
  25. CommanderDrenn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Media exists to sell itself; it has no responsibilities.