main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Does this Mean DisneyLand & DisneyWorld will have more Star Wars Involvement?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darthbane2007, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Disney as of now has no plans to create a new Star Wars land in the USA. That could change but as of right now on aug. 11th, Disney is supposed to announce cars land for Disney Hollywood studios and show plans for Avatar in animal kingdom.
    Disney bought marvel 5 years ago and still haven't built rides in California....can't build in Orlando based on universals contract.

2. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I've never wanted to work at a theme park, but if they made this, man, I don't think I'd even take lunch.

3. akrunner

akrunner Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2012
    MGM had a flight sim ride when i went there years ago that took you through a Star Wars space battle, and the rides gift shop had all kinds of hard to find models to build of different space ships, ATAT walkers that you probably wouldnt find in a normal hobby shop. I thought that was pretty cool when i was a kid, A modern 3d ride like that could be cool with improved technology now, or maybe a wookie tree village to explore lol.

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That would be Star Tours and they're way ahead of you. In the Spring of 2011, they updated the ride system with 3-D and added new destinations and scenarios. IIRC, the ride now has 54 different random outcomes. So, there's a good chance you won't get the same ride experience twice. ;)

Hitchhiking-Ghost and kainee like this.
  5. akrunner

akrunner Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2012
    that sounds pretty cool

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    In the works, supposedly. They just finished completely redoing the entire front section of DCA AND Cars Land, so give them a breather before diving into their next big project. ;)

Disneyland CA already has the Jedi Training Academy and has stormtroopers for photo ops. The one big issue with Disneyland is the lack of space. We literally can't build anything else out here because there is no where else to build. Cars Land just opened 6 months ago and that took up an entire parking lot, which Disney then had to go buy another piece of property down the road to turn into another parking lot and have shuttles running between the park and the lot constantly. It's the same reason why we won't ever get Star Wars Weekends: there is literally no place to put it. Disneyland is ridiculously crowded as it is.

kainee likes this.
  7. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Oh, I’d have lunch. I mean, who doesn’t want to roast hot dogs on mustafar?

8. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Now THAT would be cool.

9. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I was just as Disneyland last week and there is a noticeable increase in Star Wars fever there from when I last went there a few years back. I think it's a foregone conclusion that they will at least build more Star Wars attractions but like others have said a Star Wars land will bring about some logistic challenges in the Anaheim park unless they just scrap tomorrowland altogether and change it to Star Wars land.

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    But who says this has to be In Cali? Can't they do a SW theme park in Florida?

Also, I know this is a bit of a stretch, but what if they did a SW theme park all on it's own outside of Disney? What if they built in Arizona or Texas or Nevada -- someplace warm that could be open year round and would be a great tourist destination anyway . . .

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    The question/statement I was answering was directly about Disneyland, thus my response being about Disneyland and not any of the other Disney parks.

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Theoretically, they could, yes. They have the room, no worries about that and as I said above, they need some kind of draw to compete with Universal/Harry Potter. Now, whether they will actually do that is another question entirely. They are currently in the midst of revamping the entirety of Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom and just recently opened up the first phase with another still to go. I'm not sure if they would be willing to shell out more money on a new theme park while they're still in the middle of construction of a very costly project. If it happens, my guess will be it won't be anytime soon. I'll need to do more research and see if I can turn up anything.

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Echo-07 like this.
  13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Fair enough. ;)

Good answers. Thank you.

You folks will probably think I'm crazy, BUT I have a feeling the Disney people have been developing plans for a SW theme park for years. I also think money is no object to them (that's where you might think I'm crazy.) I'm serious. I think Disney sees what I see and probably most of you -- SW never dies. There's always an appeitie for it in just about any form and to be able to invite people from around the world to experience SW for themselves in a 3D environment, paying close attention to detail, and being able to charge like a 100 bucks a head makes a lot of sense.

To steal a line from Field of Dreams, "They will come, if build it will you." Guranteed! I would literally stake my life to that statement.

14. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    But would there be demand for a seperate Star Wars park?

15. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Does a cow's have nipples chocolate on them?

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004
    In retrospect this was a horrendous poor joke, ruined by fat fingered texting.

In closing, I believe the popularity is there.

.... [face_plain]

Echo-07 likes this.
  17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    A Star Wars section of an existing amusement park? Yes.

An entire amusement park? I don't think so.

Look at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The one in Florida is AMAZING and I'm dying to know how the one in Los Angeles is going to turn out. (No really, I want to know HOW, since there's like no where to put it and Universal out here is built on a cliff, though it would be AMAZING if Hogwarts was on the upper part of the cliff...) While I would love for Disney to maybe build an offshoot area for Star Wars, I doubt it would get its own park.

18. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004
    I can see them expanding upon Star Tours, bounding the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular for an actual enclosed set ride (Mine Cart in Temple of Doom?). Perhaps revamping the Muppets 3d Extravaganza, being that place is hardly packed to capacity anymore. The Honey, I Shrunk the Kid section is kinda worthless, so that would be a perfect place for some Ewok/AT-AT hangouts.

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...not sure if they would get rid of Muppets. That still draws quite a crowd and with the new films coming out, they're more popular than ever. As for the rest of an expansion, they have a lot of dead space with Lights, Motors, Action and the Backlot Tour. Neither of which draw huge crowds any longer and have run far past their expiration dates. I know there have been some new rumors about bringing a Carsland to this section of the park, but nothing has been greenlit as of yet. They can still easily change plans and do something Star Wars here. In fact, it would probably benefit them a lot more in the long run, considering that Disneyland currently has Carsland.

Other news in the rumor mill - I found an interesting tidbit last night that I would like to share. Anyone familiar with Agent P's World Showcase Adventure at Epcot? For those that are not, it's an interactive game based on Phineas & Ferb where park guests hunt down clues around the different World Showcase pavilions to solve a mystery. It seems to be quite popular and it has been rumored that they want to bring a Star Wars version to Disney's Hollywood Studios. It's nothing too groundbreaking, but I suspect it's just the start of good things ahead.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  20. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004
    No. I def wouldn't get rid of Muppets, It could be downsized to something smaller though. That place is HUGE, and def doesn't pack the house like it may have in the past. That's all i was saying.

We're probably five to ten years off of any major overhauls though. Avatar first.

21. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    "Disney-MGM" in Florida became the generic "Disney's Hollywood Studios", and in my opinion should be "Disney-Lucasfilm theme park".

It already has the "Indiana Jones stunt spectacular" and "Star Tours" and his home to Disney's other property "The Muppets".

And the Florida parks have a ton of land, they could expand without closing any of the major attractions, in fact Disney World's Magic Kingdom just expanded their Fantasyland to include more Disney Princesses. No need to close anything.

I could see revamping the "Hollywood" theme and tying it to more Lucasfilm projects (the 1930s vibe ties in with Indy's world). SciFi stuff could tie into Star Wars more and other stuff could still be mixed in with The Great Movie Ride to tie it all together.

Edit: now that I think of it, Disney(MGM) is the only one not to have identifiable "lands" that I can think of. Magic Kingdom has them of course, Epcot has "World Showcase" and the front section so Disney Lucasfilm could have a Star Wars land an old Hollywood meets Indiana Jones section, The Muppets and other Disney properties section. I think there's a bit of a Pixar section.

22. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I work for Disney part time (here in Orlando). Now, I have no idea about the inner workings or thoughts of the Imagineers, but I do know that there is a lot of room here to expand the Star Wars area in Hollywood Studios. We have the Star Tours ride, some big props (like the AT-AT), a big store and some SW characters that walk around during SW Weekends. If they can push further out, they could really have a Star Wars Universe Land in Hollywood Studios. I would love to see it.

Echo-07 likes this.
  23. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I think that drawing on the firsst page illustrates perfectly what can be done with a SW theme park. I think it could be an addition to an already exsisting park but it should be its own world. Just imagine being able to walk through a life-sized replica of the Millennium Falcon. It would be epic.

??? LOL That's funny. But I'm going to say that there is a ton of interest in a SW theme park.

24. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    What's to stop Disney from building a new theme park in the Midwest? They have both coasts covered with Disneyland and Disneyworld but wouldn't it be kind of cool to have a Disney themepark in the center of the US too?

Just an idea...

25. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I was thinking that for a while. maybe build one in Texas. However, In my opinion it would have to be built in a way as to not overshadow DisneyLand, or DisneyWorld...