main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Does Vader & Aphra have romantic feelings for one another?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dominick1216, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    The ridiculousness and absurdity of the topic of this thread is nearly surpassed by the ridiculousness of suggesting that the possibility of having romantic feelings is limited to those who have all parts intact.

SmallTatooineSun and SilentGuy66 like this.
  2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Maybe the bacta tank in Rogue One, Vader uses is to heal his manhood :p

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Voider like this.
  3. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Shhh! Don't give me any ideas.

4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    [face_sick][face_shame_on_you] I supremely doubt it.

5. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    No, it's Kieron Gillen who's in love with Aphra, not Vader.

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I have an uneasy feeling Luke will act all "weird" around Aphra In the screaming citadel while Leia acts "Jealous"

7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think the Vader/Aphra relationship is very much reminiscent of Anakin/Ahsoka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    I can see why a reader would think that Aphra (and maybe Vader) have feelings for each other after reading the page with the "You're what I've been looking for my whole life" followed by "Whoa. That just gave me shivers."

That said, I think what Aphra meant by the first line ("You're what I've been looking for my whole life") is that she lost her mom and wants to see some power restore control over the galaxy. As the Clone Wars were raging, Aphra's mom took her to what she thought was an isolated and peaceful world. But, some raiders attacked their home and killed her mom. It seems like Aphra reacted to this by believing in the Empire's idea of making the galaxy safe again through brute force. That is why I think she "believes" (or believed) in Vader's mission and looks (looked) up to him. That said, the writer and artist are having fun playing with sexual tension in those frames with Aphra staring up at the always expressionless Vader.

Aphra also has a wicked sense of sarcasm and wit, so that second line ("Whoa. That just gave me shivers.") was probably more as a result of her sense of humor and character rather than any sense of romance or attraction. But, she is psychologically very damaged by her past, so she probably is quite attracted to the someone with such power that he can control almost any situation and protect those that he wants to. Aphra knows that Vader is using her and will kill her when she is no longer of use to her. And, Vader? Who knows what he is thinking behind the mask, but I would highly doubt he has any personal interest in Aphra whatsoever. What makes the scenes work is Vader's expressionless mask reacting to Aphra's quips. That said, Vader does have flashbacks to Padme and this is the closest he's been to an attractive female since losing Padme.

Darth Vader was an excellent series and I think issues #3 and #4 go down as the most important issues of the new canon (or at least my favorites).

The Doctor Aphra ongoing is awesome. I highly recommend it.

9. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

I hope not
    [​IMG]

10. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Short Answer: No
    Long Answer: Hell No!

11. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    I can't believe I did not make that connection with Aphra being a complete opposite of Ahsoka just like Vader is with himself from many years ago.

It's like poetry, it rhymes

12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    No......we already had that ship set sail so long ago.

oncafar likes this.
  13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i wanna feel like vader cared a little tiny bit for aphra, though of course it wouldn't do any good. but when he said he didn't care if she was brought back alive or dead (after she was captured by the rebels), i kind of imagined it as a denial. i also thought that her betrayal of him may have actually hurt (though ofc he wouldn't be counting how he almost killed her multiple times and how there's no way for her to get out of this without him killing her).

as for aphra i thought that she really did admire vader and wanted to do a good job, but she's not an idiot. after her brilliant escape, maybe it was just something that saddened her. i think this is her experience with people, that they screw you over and try to kill you and you can't have any faith in any of them. and it would hurt that she kind of gave a lot and put a lot into this but it would never matter. vader killing her was simply inevitable.

i think vader found her annoying (but in a good way) and did kind of like her, but well, he's vader.

Gamiel and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Vader was Padmesexual his entire life.

Is there a woman alive who is LESS like Padme than Doctor Aphra?

People who may be crippled bodily can still appreciate beauty and romantic feelings, though. To quote a very un-Star Wars like series in Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy, Sand Glokta is emasculated by his torture and in crippling pain for his entire life yet is entranced by a woman he might have loved had things been different.

Vader in canon has so far been completely lacking Legends Vader's redeeming qualities. He's much much more psychotic and prone to hating everything which made him human.

He didn't seem to blink going after Ahsoka.

15. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    The day Darth Vader is ever given a canonical love interest that isn't Padme is the day I stop reading the EU. The Vader/Aphra relationship was a platonic one but pretty toxic in a lot of ways given Aphra was fully expecting him to kill her at some stage and yet hung around for a good while regardless. I think the closest Vader ever got to actually liking anyone post ROTS (in the new canon anyway) was not actively seeking to kill them, which was a pretty exclusive club.

16. Tsago

Tsago Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 24, 2017
    Nope. No romantic feelings between these two. But I liked their chemistry a lot.

oncafar likes this.
  17. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    also btw i don't think it's "romantic" either, but i went as close as i could go. [face_batting]

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I wouldn't say romance but there is definitely some parallels with Aphra, Triple Zero and BT-1 rather intentionally so to Padme, Artoo and Threepio. Heck, Aphra is flying around in the Ark Angel which looks more than a bit like the ship Padme first picked him up in. In a very twisted way, Vader is reliving his Clone Wars heyday through some very dark versions of that trio. (And Palpatine would be the master figure that puts Anakin through his trials). So maybe he has some approaching feelings, probably twisted nostalgia, for Padme via Aphra and droid company. It's kind of telling that after Vader has his in-his-head-getting-over-Padme-and-Mustafar vision, he shoots Aphra out an airlock.

As for her, she sees potential for Vader to elevate her to another level of getting better and messier artifacts and stealing stuff. At most, he's probably a buddy mentor who she is always aware may kill her for a slight.

mes520 likes this.
  19. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I have to admit there's been one or two lines and parallels where I'm like o_O:confused:!! But overall my answer is no. No. And no!

I can't see how Aphra can have any feelings for Vader especially when he throws her out an airlock.

Also Vader is in a way married to the Emperor at this time. Not to mention he's distracted by the knowledge of his newfound son.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Romantic feelings? You mean real love? No, of course no. But I have no doubt that Aphra finds Lord Vader sexually exciting- and the fact that he is virtually untouchable makes him even more exciting. I do not think that feeling is totally healthy and I'm not sure that Aphra would accept that it exists (she would deny it, I am sure)... but she doesn't work for him for his money...

Does Vader know about Aphra's feelings? Of course he does and he is ready to exploit it as a real Sith should... still I always get the feeling that very deep inside, secretely, he enjoys Aphra's attention. His feelings are even further from LOVE than Aphra's, but I can imagine that it gives him unwanted satisfaction that a young, competent women admires him as he is, for himself, without any condemnation. His inner vanity enjoys it (like Anakin enjoyed the admiration of Palpy). I changes nothing in his feelings for Padme...

oncafar and Dominick1216 like this.
  21. Doctor Aphra has to be Luke's girlfriend not of Vader lol