main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Yoda check Luke's Mediclorian count?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alomanuma_Topha, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    In ESB, when luke get's a funny feeling, right before he sees yoda for the first time, does yoda check Luke's mediclorian count? I ask this because right before yoda says "Feel like what?", you can hear this faint sounds and then when yoda says "Away with your weapon...", it look almost like yoda is holding something... maybe a mediclorian counter?

It's hard to see, and I can't really tell. What do you guys think? Maybe they should make it more more obvious that yoda is checking Luke's mediclorian count in the Definative Edition. What do you guys think?

Luke: "I feel like..."
    Yoda: "Feel like what?"
    Luke: "Like someone is measuring my Mediclorian count."

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    By this time there's no messing with midichlorians. Yoda knows of Luke's potential by sensing it; how many midichlorians he has irrelevant. He doesn't need to quantify it; either it's Luke or it's some random visitor, and there ain't gonna be no random visitors coming to see him who have much Force strength.

Yoda was never that interested in midichlorians anyway. He didn't seem that impressed by Anakin on first meeting, midichlorians or not.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Midichlorians? Why? Why?

L8r

4. MakeItLikeAHamburger

MakeItLikeAHamburger Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004
    No way! I think ben would've told yoda all there is to know about luke Via ghosting.

And also, I'm sure they checked luke and leia's MC. count when they were born.

OB1 would've never orchestrated Luke's departure of tatooine unless he knew luke indeed had MCs.

just my 2 cents.

5. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    I dont think that Yoda needs one of those little blood tester things to know if someone is strong with the force or not. Vader's quote "The force is strong with this one" comes to mind. I've always believed that people/organisms strong with the force can feel its strength in others.

6. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Then why does Qui-gon need to test Anakin's blood on Tatooine???

7. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Just to be sure... Qui-Gon felt such power in Ani, that he needed to know just ho powerful he was, so he tested his blood.

8. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Maybe we'll see Yoda giving Luke a mediclorian count test in TESB UE on DVD. 8-}

***Runs away before the lynch mob of purists wielding lightsabers come***

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    :_|

Seriously, would it have mattered what Luke's midichlorian count was? It's not like Yoda had the option of turning Luke away and training someone else.

10. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I think Yoda and Obi-Wan checked Luke's midichlorian count once he was born.

11. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    The important fact we are missing out on is that Yoda didn't have a sample of Luke's blood, so he had no way to test Luke's midiclorian count.

I think Yoda was just holding his cane in that scene.

Also, Yoda COULD have turned Luke away if he'd wanted...Leia could have been trained instead.

12. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    I agree with Mara.

I've never liked this whole Midicholorian thing. I think the whole thing was made up right before Lucas wrote TPM to bring in the whole symbiotic (spelling) life form relationship. IMO it would've been much better left out the PT. Qui-Gon should've just sensed how strong Anakin was in the force..but I guess lucas thought he needed some way to quantify that Anakin was conceived by the force itself.

13. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Oh yes, I'm sure Lucas will have Yoda testing Luke's blood for midis in the Ultra Edition (or whatever they're calling it).

Bah!

14. MyHomeThisIs

MyHomeThisIs Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    Lucas hadn't invented the midichlorians (stupid things anyway), so unless their count is checked in Episode 3, it's never checked in the movies.

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Yoda was never that interested in midichlorians anyway.

You forgot to mention the audience there too. :p

16. JediJamesT

JediJamesT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2003
    Maybe there will be a brief scene in EIII with the count being done. Then Yoda and Obi already know it when Luke gets to Dagobah. (Plus as stated, ESB was made 20 yrs before the concept of Midi's hit the screen, so it is a non-issue.)

17. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    I thought Yoda did that when he pinched Luke. The skin cells under his fingernail were enough for Yoda to tell Luke's midichlorian count. He was unimpressed and disappointed, as Luke only scored 106.

I'm gonna stop now, too much caffiene today.

18. MakeItLikeAHamburger

MakeItLikeAHamburger Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004
    >>>>>>>>>(Plus as stated, ESB was made 20 yrs before the concept of Midi's hit the screen, so it is a non-issue.)

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!

that's a bold statement if I ever heard one.

Just because lucas didn't let US in on the MediClorian thing, that doesn't mean that he hadn't been thinking that the whole time!

That's like saying that because we didn't know the stormtroopers were clones we should think of them as normal humans under there in the OT.

19. JediJamesT

Jul 25, 2003
    Yes, a non-issue in regards to checking Luke's count in ESB. To have it so Yoda knows Lukes count in ESB, it should be put in EIII, right after birth, announced, and done with.

Not reshot for ESB while Luke is having his feelings of familiarity.

Then when the saga is watched in order, you could say "I remember from EIII when Yoda said Lukes midi count is X..." Then when Yoda gives his explanation of the Force, you can link them together.

20. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    I think it should be reshot, maybe with a GC Mark Hammel!! It would also make the OT work better with the PT because then then TPM would forsahdow TESB!

They could also add in some new ben dialog asking yoda what Luke's mediclorian count.

yoda: "You are reckless..."

ben: "So was I if you remember... what's his mediclorian count?"

yoda: "just over 800."

ben: "You should train him."

yoda: "train him to be a jedi, I will."

21. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    They could also add in some new ben dialog asking yoda what Luke's mediclorian count.

yoda: "You are reckless..."

ben: "So was I if you remember... what's his mediclorian count?"

yoda: "just over 800."

ben: "You should train him."

yoda: "train him to be a jedi, I will."

Or they could just leave it how it is and not further ruin a great movie trilogy.

22. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Or they could just leave it how it is and not further ruin a great movie trilogy.

Ruin? Lucas is just making the movies into his original vision. Even if that meant digitally editing Chewbaca out of the movie and replacing him with Jar Jar, then it should be done so we can see Lucas' origianl vision.

Just because lucas didn't let US in on the MediClorian thing, that doesn't mean that he hadn't been thinking that the whole time!

Exactly my point!

23. JediJamesT

Jul 25, 2003
    Lucas' original vision is what we saw in 1983. The Midi's were developed in the 90's when eI was being done. They were not in any early drafts of ANH, ESB, or ROTJ. Any reshooting would cheapen the ESB. Yoda's explanation of the Force is wonderful. Take his explanation of what the force is, link it to the MidiChlorians, if you will, and how they communicate with the host and the force, as yoda described it and it works. But there is no need to plug that in to Ultimate Editions or whatever is to come next.

Yes there were changes he made when the technology improved, and he had more money, that he did not have when the OT was shot, that he states were a part of his original vision. This is in the opening of the SW SE VHS, ANH, I believe. However Midi's were not limited by technology or budget in 1983. They were not in his "original Vision" of ESB.

24. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Yoda can sense the Force in Luke and that is enough for him - afterall Luke is the last but one hope and Yoda knew this.

This addition would serve no purpose.

25. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    afterall Luke is the last but one hope and Yoda knew this.

ben: "That boy's our last hope."

yoda: "no, there is another"

IMO, Yoda had to decide whether to train luke or leia. It seems the best choice would be based on who had the higher mediclorian count. Unless Lucas changed the movie so that both Leia and Luke crash on Dagobah and then Yoda checked both their mediclorian count and then chose to train the one with the higher count and send the other one off. Although I think this would be an awesome change, it would be too much CG work and then you'd have to digitally edit Leia out of the Falcon scene. Again, I think this would be really cool, but too hard, as it would look like Han is talking to himself a lot. I guess they could have c3po say some of leis's lines instead:

Han: "You said you wanted to around when I made a mistake, this could be it"

C3PO: "I take it back, sir."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.