main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Yoda check Luke's Mediclorian count?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alomanuma_Topha, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    afterall Luke is the last but one hope and Yoda knew this.

ben: "That boy's our last hope."

yoda: "no, there is another"

Thank you for putting in the quote that confirms what I said!! :p

2. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I think he did so when Luke and Liea were new borns but in ESB I dont think so.

3. MakeItLikeAHamburger

MakeItLikeAHamburger Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004
    "The Midi's were developed in the 90's when eI was being done."

WHAT!! I really REALLY doubt Lucas just CAME up with such a major thing as Mediclorians while making episode 1.

I'm sure he thought about them well before ESB was even made!! He just didn't need to tell us about them untill this point. Or perhaps he even hinted at them in the OT, but without the proper context we would never know.

I'm sure there will be a REASON why mediclorian's are not obviously mentioned in the OT.

4. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    WHAT!! I really REALLY doubt Lucas just CAME up with such a major thing as Mediclorians while making episode 1.

yeah, why else would Lucas have called ANH "Episode IV"??? This prooves that he had already had Ep1,2,3's story in mind. So obviously he didn't just make up the PT after the OT. It was already written. If you don't believe me, watch ANH again. In the beggining it says "Episode IV" (IV = 4).

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Sure, it was already "written", but the tentative storylines he had in his head were nothing like what he's used in the PT. Look at earlier drafts for ANH and you'll find they contain names and characters later used in PT (Mace Windu, Anakin, etc.), but entirely differently than Lucas first envisioned them.

If the entire PT was pre-planned, why has Lucas had to put significant effort into writing the scripts and having them edited right before shooting?

As for the assertion that midichlorians being a "major" idea disproves their having being invented after Lucas was partway through the saga: making Luke and Leia siblings was also a major change.

6. JediJamesT

JediJamesT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2003
    Do you guys have a clue? Yes he had a basic outline of the overall Skywalker/Starkiller story in mind back in '73. But he did not flesh out the story until 77. Even then he had ANH as the only whole story done at that time. He figured the Empire/Rebellion part of the story as the middle 3 chapters. The 1st 3 as we now know were not fleshed out prior to his writing in the 90's. He took what he left out and began there.The midi's were never mentioned in any other drafts. He wasn't even sure he was going to make Vader Luke's father until after ANH was out in theatres. and ANH wasn't even designated ANh until it's re-release before ESB in 81. Remember at that time it was always just Star Wars. All during the time when there was only the OT it was SW, ESB, and ROTJ. The ANH designation as common is relatively new when the PT came about. The midichlorians were not an original description of the force at the time of the OT. Adding them now to the OT would ruin those movies and serve nothing to add to the usefulness of midi's in the story.

7. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Star Wars was only labeled Episode IV on its re-release, IIRC. That probably means that he hadn't thought of the midi-chlorians by then.

8. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Just watch the movie commetaries, or the Indiana Jones comentaries and you'll see how GL makes the movies. He writes something, changes it as he goes, makes stuff up as he goes, and tweeks stuff right up to the release date. He does NOT have every line and idea developed ahead of time.

As for the Midi count, I don't think Yoda cares. It seems pretty obvious that Qui-Jon is a "diffrent" sort of guy. He doesn't follow the rules, and only he refers to the Force as The Living Force. Midi may be something that only he believes in or cares about. The question (if you have to ask one), would be did Obi Wan check Luke and Leia's count?

9. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    As for the Midi count, I don't think Yoda cares. It seems pretty obvious that Qui-Jon is a "diffrent" sort of guy. He doesn't follow the rules, and only he refers to the Force as The Living Force. Midi may be something that only he believes in or cares about.

Then how is it that they even know yoda's mediclorian count? Yoda must have had his mediclorian count taken at some point, so unless they strapped him down and forced him to give a blood sample, yoda must have wanted to know his own mediclorian count.

10. JediJamesT

Jul 25, 2003
    "Then how is it that they even know yoda's mediclorian count? Yoda must have had his mediclorian count taken at some point, so unless they strapped him down and forced him to give a blood sample, yoda must have wanted to know his own mediclorian count. "

Do you think it is possible they took his count when he was a youngling??? Since most jedi are trained from an early age, they could take it during initial review to see if the child will be trained, much like QGJ did to Anakin.

Again to beat this to death, let there be a scene in EIII showing them taking a sample of blood from both twins, maybe even announce their numbers, have them slightly lower than Anakins to show they were not conceived by the Force, but do not add anything to the OT regarding the Midi-Chlorians.

11. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I didn't say Yoda would avoid the test, or even that he disliked the idea. I said he doesn't care. Sure, someone tested him, but that may not be an important measure for Yoda, where it seems to be quite significant to Qui-Jon.

12. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    So you guys are totally assuming yoda doesn't care about mediclorian counts. You guys also probably thought yoda couldn't use a lightsaber, but he did, and I wasn't surprised. The jedi's have beliefs they adhere to. Why would yoda even agree to train younglings based on their mediclorian count? You say he doesn't care about mediclorians and then you say he agrees to train younglings based on their mediclorian count... make up your mind.

13. MakeItLikeAHamburger

MakeItLikeAHamburger Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004
    There's NO WAY we could know if Yoda cared or not about the medichlorian counts, but we DO know that annie has MORE than YODA, so yoda DID get his counted, and it's common jedi knowledge.

This does make me wonder about annies arm, and if now he has LESS medichlorians than yoda. Maybe this is how ob1 can defeat him. It could be that if he kept his arm, none of the OT would've happened.

14. SITH_LORD_MARIANA

SITH_LORD_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2004
    Why does it matter if Yoda checked Luke's midiclorine count if He knows who his father is?

[face_devil] SITH_LORD_MARIANA [face_devil]

15. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Why does it matter if Yoda checked Luke's midiclorine count if He knows who his father is?

Because maybe anakin didn't pass the force gene (or whatever you wanna call it) to Luke and I've never seen Luke's mom use the force, so Luke couldn't have inherited force powers from her.

16. JediJamesT

Jul 25, 2003
    2 things.
    Anakin losing his arm does not reduce the number of midichlorians he has in his body. The number is based on concentration per cell, in all parts of his body. Not the number of cells he has based on body parts. So no Anakins # does not drop when his arm is lobbed off.

The original argument isn't that Yoda doesn't care about midi's, it is keep that crap out of the OT. There is no need to make changes. The OT does not need to be remade to fit with the PT, the PT should be made to fit with what has already been made in the OT. Fine, if yoda checks lukes midi's do it in EIII, not ESB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.