main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Yoda guide Luke's ship into the swamp in ESB?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by asajj_temptress, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asajj_temptress

asajj_temptress Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2003
    I was just watching ESB the other night and I was wondering whether Yoda had guided Luke's cruiser into the swamp and made his equipment malfunction, or if it was just a mere coincidence.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yep, Yoda guided Luke's ship to the proper landing site.

3. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Where's your proof Bib?

4. asajj_temptress

Dec 23, 2003
    Yoda had to know Luke was coming, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Yoda made him land there. I thought that the malfunction in Luke's control system could have had something to do with the planet itself...some kind of electrical interference, or surge, when he entered the atmosphere.

5. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Luke is hit by lightning or something. Weird, you'd think the X-Wings would have some sort of weather gear to avoid something like that.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Where's your proof Bib?

Read Heir to the Empire.

7. MyHomeThisIs

MyHomeThisIs Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    Is that really proof? I don't think so.

Yoda can barely save Obi-Wan and Anakin in AOTC and it takes him a looooong time to pull the X-Wing from the swamp. There's no way he could guide something that big and fast.

8. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    Heir to Empire isn't proof. Yoda's not in Heir to the Empire. How can anyone answer that question except Yoda?

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It's better proof than anything else you have.

10. MyHomeThisIs

Jan 7, 2004
    Unless you're trying to disprove it and argue there IS no proof.

He didn't do it. He's powerful, but not that powerful, especially at 8-9 some hundred years old.

11. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    I never claimed I had any proof Bib. Actually the only thing I said was Yoda wasn't in Heir to Empire which is true.

In fact, I didn't even attempt to suppose an answer to the question.

12. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    Often wondered 'bout that. But we haven't seen Jedi controlling pilots or ships in battles... and Yoda was on the Geonosis battle field and it didn't show him controlling objects.

By that reasoning, as likely as it seems Yoda caused the crash, I'd say it was some anomaly. Then again, there were no other ships and Yoda could have focused his concentration on the electric controls malfunctioning.... and then guided him into the swamp at the last second...

I guess we'll never know.

13. MakeItLikeAHamburger

MakeItLikeAHamburger Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004
    Well if Ben can redirect Lukes torpedos into the exhust ports in the deathstar, I don't see why Yoda couldn't cause a small timed malfunction in Luke's ship.

14. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "Well if Ben can redirect Lukes torpedos into the exhust ports in the deathstar, I don't see why Yoda couldn't cause a small timed malfunction in Luke's ship. "

Ben did what? Luke used the force to aim/time the shot, and guide the torpedoes in.

15. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    Ben did what? Luke used the force to aim/time the shot, and guide the torpedoes in.

I'm pretty sure Ben guided them in. That's why you hear his voice right before luke shoots. Luke doesn't even use his targetting computer, so how could he have aimed at all?

16. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    The Force guided Luke to enter the atmosphere where he did, and Yoda caused his ship to malfunction like it did.

It can't be the atmosphere, or how do you explain that he was able to take off no problem and then return in ROTJ with no problems...

"You mean the Force controls our actions?"
    "Partially, but it also obeys your commands."
    -Luke and Obi-Wan, ANH

17. MakeItLikeAHamburger

MakeItLikeAHamburger Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004
    Do the words "If you strike me down I shall become more powerfull than you could POSSIBLY imagine."

mean anything to you?

Ben had time to examine the death star plans, it was pretty obvious what he had to do.

18. MyHomeThisIs

Jan 7, 2004
    Was Ben even able to use the Force after death? Except for talking to Luke and Yoda, we don't see him do anything else. You say he guided the torpedoes but I think it's pretty obvious that Luke did it. Otherwise, at what part did Luke EVER use the Force in ANH?

Also, why did he not let Vader kill him first? He could have aided Luke, Han, Chewie and Leia in their escape and THEN cut the power to the tractor beam?

Trust me, Luke guided the torpedoes in. Otherwise, why wouldn't Obi-Wan just allow Luke to fire the torpedoes using the targeting computer and then guide them in?

I'm sorry, but I'd have to say it's a fact that Luke did it and saying Obi-Wan did it is really, unfounded, but wishful thinking.

19. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    I'm pretty sure Lucas' original vision had Ben guiding the torpedoes in. Hopefully in the UE, Lucas will add some ben dialog:

"Use the force Luke... Let go Luke. Luke trust me... I'll guide the torpedos into the exaust port."

There's a lot of stuff that lucas needs to fix in UE. Hopefully this will be one of them.

20. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I think the force guided Luke to Yoda. It had to be. What are the chances of Luke crashing 5 feet away from Yoda when Luke could have crashed anywhere on Dagobah? It would be like if Yoda lived in the state of New York. If Luke was crashing into Planet Earth and could crash anywhere on Earth (North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Europe, etc.), what are the chances Luke would crash exactly in New York AND right where Yoda was located.

21. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    If Yoda did guide Luke to the swamp, I don't think it would be through a physical manifestation of the Force. Yoda could have psychically (for lack of a better term) guided Luke there, telling him where to steer the ship.

But I think it's more like Indigo_Jade said... the Force itself caused Luke, at an instinctive level, to steer the X-Wing towards the correct target, just like it told him where to go and when to fire when destroying the first Death Star.

...and Yoda caused his ship to malfunction like it did. It can't be the atmosphere, or how do you explain that he was able to take off no problem and then return in ROTJ with no problems...

I doubt Yoda intervened in this way. After all that time, I can't imagine Yoda doing anything that might endanger Luke for a relatively pointless reason. He wouldn't want to go throwing malfunctions at a ship hurtling towards the ground at a terrific speed, in zero visability no less. Even his control of the Force couldn't guarantee he wouldn't unleash a malfunction more severe than he intended, nor would it necessarily allow him to prevent a fatal crash.

I figured Luke did have problems in ROTJ, but by then his piloting skills and control of the Force had improved, so they were a little less severe. Artoo was doing repairs on the ship when Luke returned from Yoda.

22. asajj_temptress

Dec 23, 2003
    That makes the most sense to me...Thanx Mr. Burns

23. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    I think Yoda's first test for Skywalker was to see if his piloting skill were any match for his father. Its possible he could have controlled/manipulated the weather so that Luke would have had to fly in blind as he did in ESB
    or
    It could have been that Yoda controlled the weather to stop anyone trying to land in that area and Luke happened to choose that spot.

I also think that in ROTJ Luke didnt have any problems landing as I think with Yoda's condition he didnt have the strength to maintain control of the weather.

As Bib stated earlier in Heir to the Empire when Luke visits there again he doesnt have any problems with weather or x-Wing instruments.

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yoda is now the love child of Professor X and Storm?! Wrong universe....

25. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "I'm pretty sure Ben guided them in. That's why you hear his voice right before luke shoots. Luke doesn't even use his targetting computer, so how could he have aimed at all? "

You hear Ben's voice because he telling Luke to use the Force. By Luke utilizing the Force, he did not need the targeting computer, demonstrating his awakening ability to use the Force.

"I'm pretty sure Lucas' original vision had Ben guiding the torpedoes in. Hopefully in the UE, Lucas will add some ben dialog:

"Use the force Luke... Let go Luke. Luke trust me... I'll guide the torpedos into the exaust port."

There's a lot of stuff that lucas needs to fix in UE. Hopefully this will be one of them. "

I don't know about Lucas's original vision but me, and everyone else who has ever seen the movie, understands it is Luke using the Force to guide the Torpedoes. Why would Ben do it for him? How would that teach Luke?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.