main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Yoda's Vision in AOTC Connect To ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rogue_Knight21, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Knight21

Rogue_Knight21 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    I just watched AOTC again today, and it got me thinking of a line, that I never could place. After Anakin takes his first step toward the Dark Side, when he slaughters the Tuscan Raiders, Yoda senses his struggle, and has a premonition of someone saying, "Anakin!! Anakin!! Noooooo!" It reminded of the Nooooooo scene by Vader in ROTS. The voice Yoda hears, is deep, but doesn't really sound like JEJ Vader, so that might not connect, but it got me wondering if Yoda had sensed the future, after Anakin had taken his first steps toward his destiny. The, "Anakin.....Anakin" part might be seperate, from the drawn out, "Noooooo" which could be Vader.

Anyway, it's just a thought, and since I don't remember anyone saying, "Anakin!! Anakin!!" in such a way, and it didn't sound like JEJ's Vader voice, it might be nothing. What do you guys think? Was that line ever repeated in AOTC, or ROTS, and I missed it, or was it possibly just a vision by Yoda, that was never fully explained, or possibly wasn't literal, just meant to convey that Yoda sensed Anakin's troubles?

2. Shurlok-Mo-Dicos

Shurlok-Mo-Dicos Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    just a quick point..are you listening with cloth in your ears...Its Liam Neesons voice, in a way you are correct in that it does tie up as yoda has learnt how to commune with the departed..

3. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    The "Anakin! Anakin!" bit is definiteyl Liam Neeson, but the 'noooo!' could easily intended to be (an 'echo' if not the actual voice of) Anakin/Vader. Remember that George Lucas must surely have had an idea of how the Anakin/Vader scene would play out and could have easily put that line in there for that reason. And of course the 'Vader breathing' immediately after that line... ;)

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    To me the biggest connection was that in AotC when Yoda has his vision he says, "Pain. Suffering. Death, I feel."

In RotS, Anakin speaks of his vision of Padme... "They are of pain, suffering... death."

So Yoda's feeling the Tusken slaughter and hearing Qui-Gon there I think was also a premonition to the path Anakin was heading down in general.

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. Doc10

Doc10 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    From Another thread.

I am Quoting zombie
    ?The idea I suppose is that its a ripple in the force; Anakin's emotions of the slaughter are sensed by Yoda, reprented by the lightsaber and Tusken Raider screaming effects, and Qui Gon is able to briefly break the barrier to the physical world; the ripple ends with a 'vision' of the future, in the form of Vader's mechanical breathing.?

---I like this opinion to explain what is happening.

But I now personally and really think that it was Qui Gon reacting to Anakin murdering the Tuskin Raiders, the Nooooo, is a vision/sense of the future(Vader's reaction to Padme's death.)

Yoda basically felt Anakin's first step to the Dark Side via Hate. And then in response to this instance, saw the future and his final acceptance of the Dark Side with the noooooooo.

(I think the noooooo, is truly when he is filled with total hate, anger, and is now truly evil. Ani dead, Vader alive)

6. Rogue_Knight21

May 21, 2005
    So then I'm not the only one who thinks that Yoda is sensing how things will play out, after Anakin takes his first step toward the Dark Side. It adds a whole new element to the situation, if you look at it that way too. Interesting that Yoda never mentions what he sees, if it indeed is the Noooooo after Padme's death that he hears. Maybe he didnt know the context, or how it would come about, or maybe he understands the prophecy better than the others, and knows how it would eventually play out with Luke.

7. Rogue_Knight21

May 21, 2005
    just a quick point..are you listening with cloth in your ears...Its Liam Neesons voice, in a way you are correct in that it does tie up as yoda has learnt how to commune with the departed..

It could be Qui Gon, and if it is, it would have to be as a force ghost like you mentioned, and this ties in to Yoda being the first to speak with Qui Gon as a force ghost, but I still don't think that he is saying the long drawn out "Noooooo!!" I don't think that he would be that emotionally dramatic while communicating with Yoda about Anakin, or even just watching, if Yoda is sensing Qui Gon's feelings. If he is saying the, "Anakin!! Anakin!!" part, then that is pretty dramatic in itself, so I'm still not sure on his role. It seems more like he would be watching quietly, and being disapointed, not yelling, "Anakin!! Anakin!! Noooooooooo!!"

8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 1999
    I really think that it's supposed to be Qui-Gon's voice through the whole thing. I think it's Qui-Gon trying to get Anakin's attention, yelling "Anakin! Anakin! NO!" They were probably using clips of Neeson's voice from TPM. Trouble is, they didn't have a sound byte of him yelling "No!" so they had to have someone else approximate his voice.

Yoda is sensing what's going on in the Force at that time; having a dead person come back and talk to a living person for the first time ever has got to be a big event in the Force.

9. Jedi_Jiboom_Vai

Jedi_Jiboom_Vai Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    It is Qui-Gon's voice calling for Anakin. They looped the line from when he tells him to drop as Darth Maul comes screeching over him. Also, the No! might be Obi-Wan from TPM as well yelling out at the death of Qui-Gon, but in this case relating to the fact that Anakin will eventually turn to the dark side.
    Yoda also displays throught much of ROTS that he knows what Anakin will do. He says nothing because, even he is unsure of how things will pan out. He knows for sure when Anakin turns though. We see him pause a moment on Kyshyyyk for it.
    I do believe though that he knew. He knew that something about Anakin and the prophecy weren't right.

10. Rogue_Knight21

May 21, 2005
    It is Qui-Gon's voice calling for Anakin. They looped the line from when he tells him to drop as Darth Maul comes screeching over him. Also, the No! might be Obi-Wan from TPM as well yelling out at the death of Qui-Gon, but in this case relating to the fact that Anakin will eventually turn to the dark side.
    Yoda also displays throught much of ROTS that he knows what Anakin will do. He says nothing because, even he is unsure of how things will pan out. He knows for sure when Anakin turns though. We see him pause a moment on Kyshyyyk for it.
    I do believe though that he knew. He knew that something about Anakin and the prophecy weren't right

I was thinking a similar thing about Qui Gon telling Anakin to drop, when Maul flies in. That was the only time I heard anyone say Anakin, in such a way. I thought it sounded similar, but remembered he only said it once, so I kinda threw that idea out the window. Do we know for sure, Lucas looped that line. Have you read, or heard that somewhere. Not saying you are making it up, because that sounds like the most logical explanation, but just wondering if it was confirmed by GL.

I agree with the Yoda point too. I always felt, he knew the most about what was really going on, but wasn't quite sure how it would fully play out, just that things weren't quite right. Even in AOTC, when we see digital Yoda for the first time, and Palpatine is telling the Jedi that Anakin, and Obi-Wan should watch over Padme, he gives a suspicious look towards Palpatine. He senses that Palpatine has some sort of alterior motive, but isn't quite sure what.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.