main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does you're family think you're crazy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lonewolf89, Oct 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Mine does. They give me these weird looks whenever I go to the Sci-Fi section of the bookstore. They really thought I was crazy when I got really exited after I found Rebirth on the bookshelf. They just don't get it.

2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    my mother introduced me to star wars so no.

3. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    I know what you mean, I went with my sister and brother to the town the other day and I spent near half an hour in the sci-fi section and everyone was staring at me weirdly.
    I don't care but my family thought I was werid when I got really excited about Rebirth, I was like counting down to the day and they must of thought I lost it.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    In my experience, family members rarely "get it" when it comes toy our Star Wars fandom.

5. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Yeah, but sadly not because I'm a star wars fan ;)

6. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Yes, but they have better reasons than my addiction to SW...

7. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    No, I don't think so. I do hear them whispering to each other, but when I ask 'what's up' they look guilty and say nothing. Anyways, I appear perfectly normal from the outside... [face_mischief]

8. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    My entire family is crazy! MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Oh anyways, my uncle is a Star Wars and Star Trek fan, so it's pretty acceptable here. Any my mom and stepdad are big sci-fi and fantasy fans. Basically, it's in my genes. :D

I wasn't named after a sci-fi character, but I share a name with one. :D

JediFarfy

9. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    my family has declared me to be insane. but my parents aren't that normal either, mum quit her job to be a mushroomexpert and dad would gladly sit at the airport watching planes all day.
    I don't do regular bookstores, the sci-fi bookstore is perfect for me [face_devil]

10. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I think after 24 years of dealing with me as a Star Wars fan has pretty much worn my family down to where they accept it. Also, they actively encouraged it.

11. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Everyone thinks I'm crazy, least of all because I'm a SW fanatic.

12. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    yeah, but the sad thing is is that it's for worse things than star wars! :D

13. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    A quote from my mother:

"There are a lot of crazy people on your fathers side of the family and if I'd known that sooner I wouldn't have had so many kids."

I'm the youngest and can only assume she meant me. ?[face_plain]

14. BoutyPunkrAurra

BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 21, 2001
    omg YES. no one understands science fictiont the way i do! (in my family at least) they just dont understand that you are SUPPOSED to be mad when your favorite character dies! my brother always makes fun of me and my sisters laugh at me. my mom just rolls her eyes as she drives me to the bookstore, and my dad forces me to make fun of myself. they call me "geek" and my brother and one of my sisters says i am a loser and a friek lol. i am SO sad...

15. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    they are the crazy people... i am perfectly sane

16. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum, UCLA's right.

17. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, my mom often doesn't get why I'm such a fan, but each time she gripes about how I'm obsessed with star wars, I always remind her that it was her who said when I was ten years old "You haven't seen STAR WARS?! Lets go out to the video store RIGHT NOW! You've got to see them!"
    And my dad is a trekker, so he doesn't get it, but he's into comic books so he always got me all the Dark Empire comics and stuff like that when I was a kid. Now I just go on barnes and noble or amazon.com and get my own.
    Oh, and my family has other reasons to think I'm crazy. But another good star wars reason is that I write fanfic. And not just normal fanfic. I'm talking three full-length novels. I have issues!

Jae Angel

PS- The boards are DEAD tonight!!!!

18. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    I keep the harcore fan stuff to myself mostly, so they are only a little suspicious.

19. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

What? Like you're hiding Playboys under your mattress? Kept mine in my book cases next to my anime stuff. :D

20. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I'm with Mace. My family already thinks I'm weird for my SW fanatic; if they knew exactly what I did with all my time on the internet, spending it here...writing fanfic, etc., they'd think I was insane! They already laugh or give me weird looks as I count down the days for SbS!!!

21. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    yeah, i've learned to keep most of my excitment to myself. it gets pretty annoying after a while, though, when you can't talk to someone in real life about star wars.

22. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Yeah, sometimes you think your in a secret society, like the Stonecutters or something :D

I remember when I got VP and I saw the map, I must have said something like: "Oooh, Galactic Map!" - to which my flatmate laughed and called me a geek :( However, she reads Romance novels, so that's like the pot calling the kettle black... :)

23. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    "The phrase your crazy" Comes out my parents mouth more often than most parents aks "How was your day?" and most of the time it has nothing to do with star wars!
    Whenever we are at the library and I find a new star wars book that I have not read yet my mom just goes another one? how many stars wars books could their possibly be?

24. ImperialGirl

ImperialGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    My mother gave me "I, Robot" and "Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern" to read when I was ten. My father has some first-edition SF books dating to the Silver Age of Sci-Fi in the early '50s. My brother is as into Star Wars as I am. None of them have any room to pick on me.

25. _admiral_kettch_

_admiral_kettch_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    My mother is a huge Star Trek novel fan, so no they don't think I'm crazy. We sort of stay away from each other about sci-fi stuff now though.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.