main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Doesn't Darth Vader kinda represent George Lucas?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seltraeh, Jan 19, 2016.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. I'm leaving this open so that everyone can discuss the films and Lucas himself in the context of his being the creator of the first six films.

2. darthcubby

darthcubby Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2016
    I think the OP has some merit and the comparison almost works, especially if you hate the Prequels and the SE's and see them equivilent to, say, lording over a galaxy in an oppressive regime for 20 years, enslaving societies and murdering billions of innocent people. In other words if you see George Lucas as 'evil'. I don't. He just happened to steer Star Wars, HIS CREATION , in a direction that a sizable and very vocal minority of fandom disagreed with. Nothing more, nothing less. If you view it like that, as I do, then Lucas really didn't do anything to warrant having to redeem himself,because he didn't do anything wrong, just made some movies that he wanted to make in the way he wanted to make them for better or worse, depending on your point of view.

Having said that, to comment on some here that equate the popularity of TFA and Disney's handling of the saga thus far as "Star Wars dying to thunderous applause"....I have to disagree. The reason TFA has done so well is simple....IT IS A GOOD MOVIE. The reason why the film has done so well is that people honestly enjoy this movie, and it's not just hardcore Star Wars fans. A wide audience has responded to the film in a positive way from ages 8 to 80, male and female, all across the spectrum. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Is the film a little derivative? Yes. However, ALL the previous SW films are guilty of being derrivative to one degree or another of the original SW...and even THAT was derivative of Kurasawa films, Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers and Dune. The Prequels definitely took a LOT from stuff like DUNE, LORD OF THE RINGS, and, yes, the original Star Wars trilogy.

Would I have preferred the larger scope of the prequels? Perhaps,but the goal with this film was to make us like and get to know these new characters that will carry the Saga forward while reintroducing old friends and required a more character driven and intimate vibe....which is why the more limited scope of this one doesn't upset me. Star Wars films can and will vary in scope from wide open and grandiose political scifi space dramas to character driven action pictures.The prequels were the former, TFA is closer to the later and the OT was somewhere between. I like the vastness of tone and I hope future STAR WARS pictures play with that tone.

Is it sad George is no longer involved directly in the process anymore? Yes,but he decided that he wanted to sell LUCASFILM to Disney and he had to know . when doing that the possibility Disney wasn't going to use the story treatments he wrote was present. He made his 6 movies in the way he wanted them. He owned those and they belong to posterity. Disney now owns the franchise and they will do what they want with it and they don't need George's approval. Star Wars is no longer his, and it was his choice, just like the SE's were his choice and the prequels were his choice. Conversely, He's only human and he's entitled to his opinions and even though he no longer holds influence, he has a right to express those opinions. The thing people overlook is that George's "dissing" of TFA in the Charlie Rose interview that caused all the controversy a few weeks ago was filmed PRIOR to his viewing of the finished film, which he said he was pleased with and enjoyed once he actually saw it. I seriously doubt George wouldn't have said he liked it if he didn't actually like it. It may not be exactly the way HE would have done it,but I'm sure he still enjoyed it and no doubt is very proud that people still respond so strongly to characters and worlds he created 40 years on.

Plus, as discussed elsewhere on this forum and other places, George's influence and fingerprints are still ingrained into the very fabric of TFA. Lucas' said that his version of the sequel trilogy followed the Grandchildren of Anakin Skywalker. Well....we know one of the main characters (if not two of the main characters if certain theories prove correct) is indeed the Grandson of Anakin Skywalker. Also as others have pointed out, there are parts of TFA that suspiciously resemble early drafts of THE STAR WARS and what eventually evolved into ANH. Lucas himself did the same thing with TPM. So in that regard, Disney is staying pretty consistent with the Star Wars creative process. It's not like Disney has totally divorced themselves from Lucas' ideas and creative influences. The only thing they did was not follow the direct story treatments for VII, VIII, and IX. I can almost guarantee many of the ideas and concepts in those story treatments and past drafts of the various Star Wars films will find their way into future Star Wars films,be it the main episode series or the anthology series. Lucas may not be steering the ship himself,but his legacy is intact and alive.

Star Wars, right now, is thriving and that is because George Lucas had the wisdom to let it go once he told the story he wanted to tell in the way he wanted to tell it. Wisdom that would not have dawned on Anakin Skywalker, or his despotic alter ego, but comes naturally for George's real avatar in the saga....Yoda.

Bossk74 likes this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    When Alexrd says "death of Star Wars," I'm pretty sure he's referring to the creative element of it. I really liked TFA, but there is no denying that it was pretty devoid of new ideas compared to the original six and TCW.

4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I've actually thought about this before even though I'm an all-saga fan.

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
  6. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    only problem is the PT and SE are great!

Seriously people act like it's so bad when it's simply just first world problems. I mean if you hate the man for doing what he does to his own movies, that's very immature.

So no, he doesn't represent vader. If anything he's like Obi-Wan. selfless. I mean he gives BILLIONS to charity, never sold out, is very kind, a loving father. It's never been about money, but making what he thought was entertaining, and considering the financial success he has and how much people love him, I think it's fair to assume he did just that. In spades.

7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Pancellor Chalpatine

Good points. But I can't resist to add that he also had the tendency to tell us about "truth from a certain point of view".

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  8. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    How is that bad?

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015