main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Doesn't this prove people liked PM more than FOTR?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Wattos_Jaunty_Hat, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I've heard of the term "inflation" before. Isn't that what Britney Spears paid to have done a while back?

2. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I liked TPM better than LOTR.

But then again, I'd find paint peeling more entertaining than that three hour bore.

3. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I haven't seen FOTR as much as I've seen TPM to make fun of it.

Hey, I kid because I love...

Of course, there were other scenes that were more actor specific that were cut:

(setting: the council at Rivendell)

Elrond: As you can see, this hobbit is perfect for the job. He works nine to five, is a model citizen. He even....helps his landlady take out her garbage.

There was also a scene cut from the flight from the Shire that was cut, and it was a little tribute to one of Sean Astin's older films:

Merry: I'll take some of these candles and set up some booty traps.

Samwise: You mean booby traps?

Merry: That'sa what I SAID! BOOBY TRAPS!

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Legolas (upon noticing the Balrog): DISEN NUTSEN!

5. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    And we can take all the drug references in LOTR:FOTR in stride(r) but if Jar jar steps in poo, then it's all over with...

Don't getta me wrongo, Jaunty, I liked LOTR:FOTR, esp. Christopher Lee's Saruman, but it was by no means a perfect film.

Theatrical release could have used tighter editing; I'll probably enjoy it more on dvd when I can get up and take a couple 10-minute stretching pauses between shots of Frodo's face....

6. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I hear in one scene in the next LOTR movie, Cory Feldman inexplicably shows up, holding a coin and says, "This was my dream, MY WISH....and I'm taking it back.....I'm taking them all back!"

7. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Drug references? What? Talk about one-eyed.
    The weed they were refering to is tobacco which I guess is a form of drug but it's LEGAL. They drink beer. So what? So do I.

FOTR is not a kids flick, TPM was. FOTR is 3 hours long. Adults don't normally go see the same film 8 times unless they are fanboys like you and I. Kids do. It's not a great date movie, too violent and scary. Those are the reasons why it's not making as much money as TPM or Titanic or HP.

It's still the best film I've seen in the last 10 years.

Edit: I don't really care about the poo and fart jokes, but it's really a step down for GL. In the OT there were humorous moments using the strength of characters like Han, Yoda, C3PO and R2. Fart jokes always get a laugh with the kids, but honestly it's pretty cheap.

8. Sebastian_Updike

Sebastian_Updike Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2002
  9. Wattos_Jaunty_Hat

Wattos_Jaunty_Hat Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2002
    Let me reiterate my theory:
    Non-fanboys liked PM more.
    It didn't tire non-fanboys with too long of a running time or useless scenes.
    In other words, it was better crafted and therefore more successful among real people.
    = Jackson could learn something from Lucas (I'm so tired of hearing the opposite on AICN, IMDB, here etc.)

Edit: I liked FOTR but thought it could have been better (Merry and Pippin were as annoying as Jar Jar, minus the excuse that they were made for kids)

10. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
  11. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Non-fanboys liked PM more.

TPM was an event: The first new Star Wars movie in 16 years. As such, people turn out to see it, whether they were big fans or not. And the hardcore? I saw TPM seven times in theaters, two more than I've seen FOTR so far. And I happen to think FOTR is the single greatest movie I have ever seen. The fact that I saw TPM more times does not diminish that fact. As I said, TPM was the first fresh SW movie in a decade and a half. EVERYONE wanted a taste of it.

12. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    Oh yeah, there were no useless scenes in TPM were there? The whole Senate debate is just rivetting to kids who are the main target of the film.

It's so interesting that the kids I know chapter skip the DVD to get to the action at the end of the film after the podrace.

13. Sebastian_Updike

Jan 14, 2002

as a matter of fact, hat, just about everyone I know either liked PM, as you refer to it, or didn't care for it, while they really liked, and in many cases loved, LOTR.

So, as they often say, their's your theory.

14. Wattos_Jaunty_Hat

Jan 14, 2002
    That's what I keep hearing, that non-fanboys walk out loving FOTR but, at best, liking TPM (there you go, I'm new).
    I just thought I'd point out that the numbers don't support that for a second.
    25M (on less screens) to 16M?!

Also, Titanic (very long, no kiddie appeal, same rating as FOTR) made almost exactly as much as TPM on its 4th weekend.

I'm not here to bash FOTR, just defend TPM.

15. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    My only irk with FOTR is how many times we saw the ring.

Mr Jackson, I understand that a ring is a little round gold thing with a hole in it that you put on your finger. Please don't show it to me 50 times again in the Two Towers. Thankyou.

16. Wattos_Jaunty_Hat

Jan 14, 2002
    See, that's all I want, a little objectivity. Not this FOTR was a perfect movie and TPM sucked garbage.

I'll reciprocate:
    TPM, Even if it was a kid's movie, did Jar Jar need quite that much screen time?
    I'm all for aiming at the right audience and fine if it's for a new generation of kids, but 15 minutes less would have been great.

17. Sebastian_Updike

Jan 14, 2002

people, though, are entitled to enjoy what they wish to, sir jaunty hat.

I must go so far as to admit, too, that you have, as they say, "lost me". What IS the point you are attemping to make with this thread?

18. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    I think he's trying to point out that even though there is was some enormous TPM bashing going on at the time it still managed to outstrip most other flicks in terms of $$$ takings at the box-office. Also he's sick of hearing how much FOTR is a better film and how people liked it better than TPM.

I personally think it is a better film and I do like it better than TPM, but hey - it's not perfect. I wasn't entirely happy with the musical score, some special effects weren't as good as thought they could be and there were too many shots of the flippin ring. Lothlorien wasn't done as well as I would have liked - Rivendell was perfect, but Lothlorien looked decidedly average.

The Balrog had wings. That makes up for any other shortcomings though.

TPM didn't live up to the hype and FOTR did. That's the difference IMO.

19. Darth_Racer

Darth_Racer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    "TPM was also a children's movie, a demographic that is more likely to go back to the threatre for multiple viewings."

Hmmmmmmmm....I'm far from being a child...I'm very adult...probably older than most fans on this forum, and I saw TPM many...many times, and loved it. So much for generalizations.

20. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    I like both TPM and FOTR, but both have things the other is missing, so I'll just like them the same...

Although I have seen FOTR twice, and I only saw TPM once...

21. Darth_Racer

Darth_Racer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    "TPM didn't live up to the hype and FOTR did. That's the difference IMO. "

How could TPM have possibly lived up to the incredible, massive hype ? No way...there's no way GL could have pleased some people. Some...some fans were thinking TPM would be the "second-coming" or something like that...TPM was a just a MOVIE...an entertaining, action-packed family MOVIE...not some "Holy Sacrament".

22. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    Lucasfilms shouldn't a hyped it so much then.

The hype has already started for Ep2. The local theatre has posters of Anakin and Padme all over the place.

23. Sebastian_Updike

Jan 14, 2002

uruk-hai, I understand you but the fact remains that many people do enjoy LOTR much more than TPM and, in the proper threads, they are stating that.

Why, as a result of this the, is sir jaunty hat finding such ill about it? There are sharing, after all, something that is known to be called, often, an opinion. sir jaunty hat may hold a differing opinion but that does give him any such right to "knock" those of us who do.

24. Nomi Jade

Nomi Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2000
    More deleted scenes! ROTFL!

:)

25. Arsenal1234

Arsenal1234 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    Hat: "In other words, it was better crafted and therefore more successful among real people."

Real people? If you asked the average viewer, they would tell you that Han Solo is the most important character in Star Wars. Real people could care less about Luke Skywalker, the true protagonist. Real people have rarely gotten Star Wars, and certainly didn't get LOTR. Screw real people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.