main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dog shows

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 15, 2012.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Why the hell is this part of the culture? The Westminster (the Super Bowl of these events) dog show concluded last night, and you see this being talked & discussed in a lot of media as if it's an actual legit thing. This baffles me. I like dogs (though I'm a cat person), but who cares about how one "show" dog compares to another. Good grief.

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Because otherwise "Best in Show" would never have been made.

3. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
  4. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Who cares about sweaty men rubbing up against each other, dribbling balls and putting one in the hoop?

5. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    The Westminster dog show is not the super bowl of these things.

The puppy bowl is. Oaf.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

At least in athletic competiton there"s levels of skill required to accomplish an individual or team goal with the results of a particular game or match decided based on well or poorly a person/team is doing. For a dog show, the winner this year is "best" in show because of what exactly? Because the dog walked better around the stage? Because the dog is a "better" breed at a show?

7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    There are a variety of other qualifiers that are involved; breeding, grooming, fitness, obedience, all of which require skill, effort, and preparation. You can oversimplify it if you want, but its no less legitimate than any of your passions or interests simply because you don't see appeal in it. I don't see the appeal in professional sports, but I wouldn't begrudge your interest in it the Lakers or Dodgers.

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    DISSING YOUR DOG

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Fair enough.

10. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is the second longest running sporting event in the country, after the Kentucky Derby. That's pretty impressive.

Also, dogs are awesome.

Amazing.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think the major difference between dog shows and professional sports is that Carlos II wouldn't look at athletes and say, "What a bunch of inbred freaks!" Add that to the fact that the Westminster Kennel Club is a horrible institution when it comes to actually giving two ****s about dogs and I'd say it deserves all the criticism it gets, though maybe not necessarily from Tunick's angle.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This seems like an opportune thread to make a "Mitt Romney drove cross country with a dog strapped to his roof" joke.

Alas, if only Gail Collins posted here.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

My intent with this thread (and what I actually believe) was not to say this dog show (or any like it) is not legit like sports, but rather just bizarre, silly & pointless.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.