main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

dogfight test

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by TheDirectorGuy, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDirectorGuy

TheDirectorGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2004
    im trying to make ilm quality anim so contsructive critisism welcome.

click

2. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    wow that was awesome. Here is my hint.

The problem is the acceleration, your fighter starts at like 0 mph, then accelerates. I think you are trying to make it seem as if it's already been flying, so animate it a couple frames before and render from like the 10th frame on.

3. 1337mik3

1337mik3 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    Really cool, but it seemed to have non-organic movements, try adding some more shake and jiggle to the camera and or ship.

4. TheDirectorGuy

Mar 2, 2004
    you're right i forgot to add a camera shake. will do and i will fix the beginning. thank u.

5. Jedikes1138

Jedikes1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    Whoa... that looks really good. I'd suggest the same as 1337mik3. However, it could probably use a bit more motion blur.

6. batkins182

batkins182 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 1, 2005
    I'm very impressed. It looks very real. Great job.

7. Neothehacker

Neothehacker Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2004
    What's he shooting at?

8. TheDirectorGuy

Mar 2, 2004
    nothing lol. i started just animating the ship and decided to add lasers so i didnt animate a 2nd ship you just see the explosion. im mainly trying to get it to look real but i dont know how to light it the way that makes it look real i just used the lights that scifi3d already set up.

9. Neothehacker

Neothehacker Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2004
    Well, it looks really good, anyway.

10. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    He was shooting at Wonder Woman's Invisbile Jet. :p

11. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    Thats super super good man. The lighting IMO is really good. What you can do to make it even better is to perhaps make the laser blasts thinner, and also have them shoot farther into the distance. I know its time consuming but you're like halfway there already. Another thing to think about is that if theres nothing around the ship, its hard to get an impression of its speed, but if you have it skimming past cruisers and stuff, thats when things get exciting.

One thing I would suggest you try is motion capture for the camera--parent the camera to a dummy that follows behind the ship, and then assign a motion capture controller to your cameras rotation, and use the mouse as the capture method, you can literally become like a cameraman in a chase plane, and you can record the action in realtime! One other thing I would suggest is having the ship enter the frame already going fast, it looks better than starting from a stationary camera. Keep at it!

12. 1337mik3

1337mik3 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    How did you do the starfield?

13. crazylegs1138

crazylegs1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Antilles01 posted on 9/4/05 10:24pm
    One thing I would suggest you try is motion capture for the camera--parent the camera to a dummy that follows behind the ship, and then assign a motion capture controller to your cameras rotation, and use the mouse as the capture method, you can literally become like a cameraman in a chase plane, and you can record the action in realtime![hr][/blockquote]

Woah woah woah, you can do that? Use the mouse to capture motion like that? That's awesome!!! Gotta try that today.

For the video, it would look better if either the ship came from out of frame, or it accelerated slower. The lasers do look a little thick although they aren't too bad. The animation of the ship itself looks a little bit too jerky and it'c obvious that keyframes were used.

The explosion looked really nice though. How'd you do that?

14. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Cool but a little too fast...
    Good work!

~Rory

15. TheDirectorGuy

Mar 2, 2004
    yeah it is fast lol. i was just trying to see if they looked good without me adjusting the lights because i dont know how to. i want to be able to make it look the way they do in the renders at scifi3d. if i could render them like that then i would make a scene. do you guys know the renders im talking about?

explosions dentonation films with directional blur.

16. TheDirectorGuy

Mar 2, 2004
    the starfield is image of a starfield. use that as your environment. open the material editer and drag the name of the image from the environment into a blank material and make it a spherical environment and it moves automatically.

17. LordViktor1138

LordViktor1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2005
    yeah I agree with the opening speed, I mean its hard to tell speed when there is nothing in empty space to relate to in that opening second or two to tell what the speed of the craft is. And I was going over the last barrel roll as it passes the debree of the enemy ship, as it ends its roll, it should be smoothed out a bit the physics of it, other than the physics portion, everything else is fine. For the speed, and all, you need like a planet in the background or a freighter of some sort or some other body to relate speed on the jedi starfighter and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.