Dogs killed by terrorists - NOT for the faint hearted

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by obhavekenobi78, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inari_Icewalker Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I feel that my hunting for a week or two a year is less wasteful and more humane. If you were a deer, would you rather starve to death, be torn appart by wolves, or perhaps die instantly and supply food for a man.

I disagree. Hunting for principal sustinance by humans in the US constitutes a very small minority of hunters. Most of these persons fully acknowledge that they do this activity for "sport." In this admission, they back themselves into a corner, one that truly reveals the nature of what "sport" really is: an activity of enjoyment. Please note the following:

"Within the mental health act the term psychopathic disorder is defined as ??a persistent disorder or disability of mind (whether or not including significant impairment of intelligence) which results in abnormally aggressive or seriously irresponsible conduct?? (MHA 1983)."

[This contains a good paraphrase of the DMV-IV's working elements.]

This, to me, would include hunting for "sport," as it is the casual disregard of any living being, and it is calculated and savored as a "pleasurable" activity. There's also an implication that the motivation for killing is reckless and irresponsible, and many hunters die in hunting accidents each year, at the hands of other hunters and poachers.

People who "hunt" invariably back themselves into a corner lauding their so-called "achievements" and fully acknowledging how much they enjoy killing.

That is but a step away from turning the firearm onto a another human, and "savoring the pleasure," just on a grander scale.

Your other arguement, that "animals need to be culled to keep them from starving" is no supported. The reason it appears there are more wild animals then in past times is, quite frankly, because there are more humans, more encroachment, and less habitable space for animals. Ergo, animals penned into small pockets of land are at increased risk of overgrazing and overforaging because they are confined to a space that will not sustain a healthy population, usually. This results in animals appearing in places where they are treated as "invaders and aliens," when in fact, the land was simply part of their migratory route or natural ranges (beaver, deer and bears showing up in suburban back yards).
  2. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master

star 5

First off, I want to thank you for discussing this on a civil level. Sincerely.

That said, I would like to respond to this quote as it pertains directly to one of my previous posts and the subject as a whole.

"Granted this is an ideal situation, and the ham in my sandwhich may not have come from a pig that was killed in a humane way. However, I can not know where all the meat I eat comes from, and I will not change my eating habbits because of the possibility that the meat came from a plant that slipped the governments understaffed fingers."

When you hunt I would be certain that specific measure are taken to ensure the safety of you and those around you, correct? For instance, you would never fire a gun aimlessly into the woods in which other hunters perched hoping that someone didn't happen to be in your line of fire. Even though you enjoy the act of shooting, that would bring about the possiblity of endagering others.

This same scenario can be applied to this topic. Are you not, as the consumer of the animal, at least responsible to make sure that it was not killed in an inhumane way? Can you justify your statement above by merely stating that you cannot know where the meat comes from? That's likened to pointing a gun into the woods, discharging a round and stating, "I cannot be responsible to find out if my round hit someone."!

You can call any butcher, any restaurant, any place that sells animal products. Ask them where they get there goods. Due some research. Find out. No, you don't have to, I can't force you, compassion is voluntary. It even says so in the Bible does it not?

The answer is no.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.