main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dogs

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Rox , Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    My wife has talked me into getting a dog. What kind of dog I don't know yet...but I told her it has to be something small. I don't want it to be huge and a handful to clena up after. People that have dogs what kind of small dog do you reccomend? I am leaning towards a pug or English Bulldog.

2. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Poodles are intelligent and do not shed. Come in all sizes.
    They can be clowns and love attention and give plenty of love.

3. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I've heard podles are really mean and moody, any truth to it?

4. Terra_Wan_Kenobi

Terra_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    you should have a schnauzer i had one and they're great they don't need too much grooming.. :)

5. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    You should get a Jack Russel. I had two for years and they were just wonderful. They have the mind of big dogs in the body of small dogs.

6. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    if u plan on having a family at some point Rox I would recommend a mild tempered dog such as a golden retriever or even a collie. they shed a bit more but well mannered dogs and very loving. ;)

7. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    I vote for stuffed. They never shed, don't eat. don't use the bathroom in the floor, don't chew up things. but then again i never have been a pet person. I heard Poodles are decent dogs. all depends on how they are trained. but most dogs are that way.

8. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Get a Shiba Inu. They're small, can be litter box trained, yet they think that they're big dogs. They're great guard dogs but are very very friendly.

Who can say no to this??

[image=http://www.kefk.net/Canidae/Haushund/Rassen/S/Shiba.Inu/Abbildungen/Fm_shiba_inu_puppy.jpg]

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
  10. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    It's definately a cute dog, kind of reminds me of a husky I had when I was younger. Keep the suggestions coming.

We are going to start having a family in the next year so we really don't want anything too big.

11. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    U obviously ain't met one like mine. Danny is also known as "Scitzophrenic(sp?) sid" "The breath of saten" and "The Eunic (but lets not go into that)" He has his moments, but on the whole i think he wants to kill me. I will say this though, No molting and the chicks love im [face_mischief].

On the other hand my other one, kym, is a softie and a slapper. Just have to look at her and she's on her back lookin for a belly rub and always wants attention.

The difference between em. Breeding. Danny is a as through bread as it gets without inbreeding and hes a little **** where as Kyms got no real breading in her so if u're goin for a poodle, i'd say go for one with less breeding.

12. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    I'm still voting for the Shiba Inu. The two we've got are sweeties and very fun to have around. They're great around little ones too (they're the perfect height for the doggies to snatch food out of their hands...).

You might look into pugs too if you're looking for compact. But they run on the ugly side... ;)

13. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I actually know someone with a pug that is in heat right now. She isn't sure whether or not she is going to breed it this time around. If she does one of the pups is mine. She has already told me that. I don't think they are that ugly. I actually thin kthey are like little people with the way they act and the facial expressions they make.

14. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Pugs I think are adorable... how can they not be?

Dont they drool alot though? [face_thinking]

My fav dogs are St Bernards but I'm not about to recommend one to you with children.
    They r extremely high maintenance LOL Adorable but alot of work......

15. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I have a Cairn Terrier. I love her to death, but the dog is SO hyper... She acts like we feed it caffeine or something. She's very protective of her turf too. Cairn Terriers love their family, but are very wary of strangers and don't trust them unless they see that their family is allowing them into the home. Then, she calms down after jumping all over the place and just wants to be pet and paid attention to. She's cute.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ScottsPics/Various%20Pics/penny.jpg]

^Old picture, but she hasn't changed a whole bunch. ;)

I'm gonna get her a Darth Vader costume for Halloween I found at the local Target. :D Too funny!

16. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    My mom had a Jack Russell. Nice dog, except she was scared of absolutely everything, people especially. Walking her in the street and public places was a pain. On the other hand my brother's Jack russell was constantly on "fast forward mode" - running everywhere, jumping, yapping. Quite annoying.
    Just don't get a Yorshire. They can't stop barking.

17. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Well my Jack Russel used to be braver than most bigger dogs. Once, at dog obedience, it attempted to take on a German Shepherd (roughly twice its size), and the Shepherd pulled back in fright. I've always felt that Jack Russels were almost stupidly brave, but I suppose you could find one that was wimpy. :p

18. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I am not a small dog fan, all the ones I have known seem to have an attitude problem.
    Hence why angry short people over here get told they have 'Small Dog Syndrome'.
    But there was one small dog that was cute and friendly, a chihuaha (spelling please?).
    Although a cat could probably take it in a fight, it's THAT small!

19. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Terry I know several people with Pugs and they are great dogs. I want to get one at some point in the future.

20. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Every Jack I've met is a basket case. :p They are extreemely high energy dogs that need lots of room and attention.

I've heard good things about pugs, especially about their personality. I've also heard that they are fairly sturdy, which is something to consider if you are going to have kids. Most people that breed or have small dogs (the under 15 lbs group) never recommend them for people with kids. I have heard of problems with pugs with their breathing and eyes, but I've never had one so I don't know how bad that can be.

A lot of it depends on what kind of life you will provide for it. Will it be home alone during the day? Is there a fenced in back yard? Do you want to take it for runs or to exercise?

I'll also pass along something my brother the vet says: Between the medical and behavioral issues assocated with inbreeding, unless you really know the breeder and have seen the parents, you have just as much of a chance of getting a good dog by going to your local animal shelter and picking a puppy that needs a home for a lot less money.

Whatever you do, please don't buy a dog from a pet store. :(

~H~

21. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Why is that?

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I completely agree with DarthJurist.

It is because, Rox, there are thousands of perfectly loving, beautiful dogs at your local pound that *will* be killed if they aren't collected within a few weeks. Why not get the same calibre of dog and save its life rather than paying extorsion prices for someone's profit.

23. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Uh, ok I got ya now. We have been to Animal Firneds twice and another shelter I can't remember the name of once so far. We haven't decided if we are going to wait for a pug from our friend or adopt a dog from the shelter yet.

24. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    My main reason for saying this is because pet stores are the main purchasers of puppies from 'puppy mills' - breeders that churn out hundreds of dogs per year purely for financial gain and without concern for the health of the animals down the road. You never see the parents, so you never know if there are any health concerns, and you never see what kind of conditions they were born and raised in. There was an incident here in Chicago a few months ago where the police raided a house that had over 60 Chihuahuas (including several pregnant dogs) in one home. The family was breeding them as much as they could to sell them to make money.

And while the same could be said for pounds (you never know what you are going to get), at least the dogs aren't there just so that everyone can make money off them, and most shelters do a decent job of checking them for major illnesses or disease. Reputable breeders will always let you see the parents, or at least one of them, and with the smaller dogs they are usually raised in homes by people who love them.

But enough on that. For my family the pets are part of the family, so the idea of puppy mills really bothers me. While it may be possible to buy a good dog from a store, I would personally never chance it. Sadly, I?m speaking from family experience on this matter.

~H~

25. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Did you ever decide on what you were going to get Rox??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.