main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Doing Starwars mod, have question

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by theresnothinglft, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theresnothinglft

theresnothinglft Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    Does george lucas take the same approach to game mods as he does toward fan films?

Info on game mod here:
    http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~dsor/std/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24

I need to know if its safe for me to do this mod, or if George Lucas will fry me for doing it.

2. OnyxJedi

OnyxJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2004
    I don't think that there would be a problem. There have been Star Wars TCs since the days of Doom and AFAIK there has been no lawsuit.

3. theresnothinglft

Mar 22, 2005
    Thats what I thought. Im just checking though, cause I heard about some legal action against a NWN mod for star wars.

4. OnyxJedi

OnyxJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2004
    I had not heard about that, but I guess it would stem from KOTOR being done by Bioware who also did NWN. That would be my guess, but I'd like to read more about the situation.

5. ShadowStoneKat

ShadowStoneKat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    I've seen some high quality mod projects, none of them have been shut down by Lucas. Of course, maybe they'll get noticed after this poting... :)

As long as your content is original (ala, not created from one of Lucas's games models, music, etc) I think you would not have any problems.

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    If he had a problem with game modding, I'm sure we'd of heard something about it in the past.

7. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    There are occasionally problems...

...for example, there was a SW Neverwinter Nights mod at one point, but it was shut down.

Seems somewhat random to me, but in general, you should be alright.

8. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    A Star Wars mod for Battlefield 1942 was being pretty well publicised in the run up to Battlegrounds without any word of LFL having any problems with it.

I can't imagine how a mod could be any more in competition with an official LFL release, so I'd say that there shouldn't be any problems.

What game are you making the mod for?

9. theresnothinglft

Mar 22, 2005
    Im making it for Dungeon Siege

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.