main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

?Dollhouse? Joss Whedon's recent series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by EvilElecBlankett, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilElecBlankett

EvilElecBlankett Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007
    This is the best news I've heard in months!

Eonline

Hear that? It's the sound of Joss Whedon fans around the world freaking the frak out. (And I am one of them!)

I'm thrilled to tell you that just this afternoon, Joss Whedon rang me up to break the news that after a long, Whedonless TV drought, we Buffy fans are finally getting another TV series created by Mr. Whedon himself. Hell. Yeah.

While you scream, hyperventilate and then (hopefully) recover, I will tell you this: The news gets even better.

Whedon's new FOX series, called Dollhouse, stars Miss Eliza Dushku, best known as Faith to you Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans. And, this show isn't just a pilot. It's already been given a seven-episode commitment by Fox.

The series, according to FOX, is about "Echo (Eliza Dushku), a young woman who is literally everybody's fantasy. She is one of a group of men and women who can be imprinted with personality packages, including memories, skills, language?even muscle memory?for different assignments. The assignments can be romantic, adventurous, outlandish, uplifting, sexual and/or very illegal. When not imprinted with a personality package, Echo and the others are basically mind-wiped, living like children in a futuristic dorm/lab dubbed the 'Dollhouse', with no memory of their assignments?or of much else. The show revolves around the childlike Echo's burgeoning self-awareness, and her desire to know who she was before, a desire that begins to seep into her various imprinted personalities and puts her in danger both in the field and in the closely monitored confines of the Dollhouse."

So how did Dollhouse come about? When will it start given the impeding strike? And what are the chances a few Buffy alums might make it onto the show? To find out, read on for my exclusive one-on-one Q&As with Creator and Executive Producer Joss Whedon and Star and Producer Eliza Dushku. (Pinch me.) You honestly won't believe how fast this all happened and where the idea first began!

Oh, and P.S. to all you fans of writer/producer Tim Minear (Angel, Wonderfalls, Drive). He tells us: "Joss has pathetically begged me to be involved. And I hate to see a slightly younger man weep like a girl. So I said "m'kay." I'll be playing with dolls one way or t'other."

This might be too much goodness to bear, no?!

There's an interview with Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku at the site link above.

2. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I'm excited, but I'm worried about how Fox is gonne end up treating it...

3. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Joss + FOX hasn't worked out too well in the past, IIRC. :( Still, it's good to see him working on new projects, especially if a few Firefly actors find their way onto the show. Not the biggest fan of Elisha Dushku(she is hot, I'm just not the biggest fan of her as an actress). If I see it on, I might check it out. Who knows.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Hopefully this'll be an interesting series, provided that FOX doesn't cut it.

5. SunnydaleSpike

SunnydaleSpike Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2007
    Best news I've heard (read :D ) all week! It's been too long since "Angel" got the axe. I just hope the show gets treated better than "Firefly".

Most cool :cool: .

6. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    What happened to "I'll never work with Fox again"?

7. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002

$$$$$ Enough cash and people will do anything.

8. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Does anyone else think the concept of "child-like adults being bred and used for shady reasons they have no idea about and one of them rebels" reminds them of The Island?

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean that in a bad way, I didn't think The Island was terrible at all. And I really think Joss could do a lot with this show, it sounds very cool.

Let's just hope FOX have learnt their lesson.

9. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Great news. I really hope Joss worked out a good deal with Fox this time around. Otherwise history may well repeat itself.

10. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I wish they were doing Faith the Vampire Slayer but Dollhouse will be interesting.

11. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    It will be nice to see Joss Whedon's name on a tv screen instead of a comic book cover.

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Sounds interesting, at least until FOX decides to cancel in favor of another crappy reality show.

13. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    Maybe, if this pans out well enough, we can get a Firefly Season Two?

Huh?

Maybe?

Whaddya think?

Set it in between Firefly Season One and Serenity, so you can bring Book and Wash back, and you've got gold.

14. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    anything with Eliza Dushku and Whedon is a must, but it's Fox. I stress again, it's Fox.

15. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003

No, just no. Look, I(and all the other Firefly fans) would love to see more of Firefly/Serenity, but it's not happening. Stop getting your hopes up. It's over. :(

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very good news indeed.

17. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002

agreed

Hey, even Fox may screw up once in a while and put out something decent. :p

18. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Don't get your hopes up. All that will happen is you getting crushed by Fox. Firefly is over no matter how much we don't like it.

19. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    I can just imagine the fan interview.

Interviewer: So, you're working with Fox again huh?
    Joss: Yup.
    Interviewer: WHAT WERE YOU THINKING MAN?!?!?!?!?!
    Joss: I'm a glutton for punishment. That and maybe if they cancel this one I can make am movie again.
    Interviewer: Sly.
    Joss: Yup, I'm a wily little fella.

20. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Fox has had a number of good shows over the years. They just cancel them all prematurely :p

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Or in the case of X - Files run it into the ground.

But this could all be a moot point when the Writer's strike happens. The networks and studios could decide it's not worth it to reach a deal with the writers and soon, the directors/actors and put on reality shows/movies ad nasuem and we'll never get legit scripted TV back.[face_plain]

22. EvilElecBlankett

EvilElecBlankett Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007
    Joss Whedon talks a little bit about "Dollhouse."

What about Dollhouse will draw in your Buffy and Firefly fans?

Well, Eliza (Dushku). Duh. It's very different than the stuff I've done before, but at the same time it's still a very hardcore examination of the human condition. It really sort of boils it down to who are we, how are we programmed, what do we need, what is okay about us, and what is really not okay. It's the most morally gray thing I've ever done. I think it might actually anger a lot of my fans, but there are questions I still have to ask. Ultimately I think it will intrigue them because that.

We keep hearing that the strike will be over soon. How has it affected Dollhouse? Have you actually written any of it yet?

I had just pitched the seven episodes for the show, I hadn't written anything. I did not even so much as look at them during the strike, and will not until the strike is over. The day the strike is over, I will start working, so whatever we plan to do will certainly be pushed back by exactly as many months as the strike was... or still is.

He also mentions a ballet he is writing for Summer Glau.
    link

23. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    This show sounds sweet! I'm a bif Firefly fan and a moderate Buffy fan, so I eagerly await Mr. Whedon's intriguing new project.

24. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    A seven episode deal, huh?

I got my money on cancellation after 5 episodes.

25. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    So in theory he started work on it yesterday?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.