main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

?Dollhouse? Joss Whedon's recent series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by EvilElecBlankett, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I guess most of us saw this coming sooner or later.

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    *grumble*could have had another 13 eps of Terminator for all the ratings good Dollhouse did*grumblegrumble*

3. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    A great shame, it could have been great. Just watched Epitaph One and thought it was brilliant.

Felicia Day, hooray! Vi my second favourite potential after Amanda. The male survivor at the end really reminds me of Patrick Swayze/Corey Feldman for some reason. What a shocker when the little girl turns out to be evil. Great line too "Oh great, I get to go through puberty again!". The little band of misfits on the run is a theme Joss returns to time and again in Angel, Buffy, Firefly and Alien 4.

Great acting from Amy Acker as a ghostlike Whiskey. I must say I always thought that she killed all the reavers...sorry butchers and died herself. It wasn't until I heard the commentary I considered the alternative, that she was knocking them out and would implant Caroline's imprint in them creating an army of guides to take people to safehaven (a very Logan's Run/I am legend idea). So Alpha is the saviour of the human race? Who'd have thought?(like Spike!) Also some great acting from Reed Diamond (so you CAN come back from the attic?), from Topher driven mad by guilt (season 5 Wes?) and Adele, struggling to keep everything together.

The deleted scenes give us a better idea of how Alpha escaped and what happened to bounty hunter Sierra and November in that ep. Also to judge by the clips Caroline's personality eventually overcomes her implant. And one character finally says what we've all been thinking, that the Dollhouse is basically one big brothel. Some very Battlestar Galactica touches too, the picture wall especially. Also post-Apocalyptic LA which was supposed to be what Angel season 6 was all about.

Goes without saying that if they'd made the rest of the series as good as this one it would have been more of a success. But at least it lasted longer than Firefly. So, did Caroline and co make it to safehaven? Will the Epitaph 1 characters get there? Did Caroline kill Adele? (I say no). What happened to Sierra, Mellie/November? Joss has 2 eps with which to round things up which is plenty of time for him.

Looking forwards to season 2

4. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Dollhouse is officially cancelled now. We could definitely see this one coming a mile away. It looks like Fox is going to finish the season though. Hopefully Joss is able to tie up all the loose ends. Final airdates for the show are below.

Dec. 4: two episodes
    Dec. 11: two episodes
    Dec 18: two episodes
    Jan 8: one episode
    Jan 15: one episode
    Jan 22: one episode (series finale)

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Alas poor Dollhouse, we barely knew you.

I just caught up with it this week, and I'm rather more impressed with season two than I am with season one. The Paul/Alpha imprint is how I think that Alpha becomes a good guy in the long term - the Paul imprint makes such an impression that he's not able to dismiss it like he does the rest of the personalities in there. As for Paul himself, I'm guessing he gets made into a doll of himself, with his personality being uploaded back into him. Unless Alpha destroyed the disk with Paul on it, it seems an easy enough fix - even if it does leave Paul open to potentially suffering from doll issues later.

I suppose that there might still be faint hope that another network might pick it up. Very, very small hope.

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    So we just took a flying leap towards the events of Epitaph One this week.

Loved the reveal of what the Attic really is, and the role that Dominic has been and will now be playing in that respect.

And showing just how important Caroline really has been to this all.

7. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

So, any guesses as to what Topher had to sacrifice in Paul to make everything fit? My guess is his ability to fight. A broader loss would be essentially all of his professional skills but his ability to fight.

And any guesses as to what was said to whats-her-name Topher's juicebox fetching assistant to make her so revolted by Topher? The two possibilities I can see are that she was told she had to act that way, to alienate Topher, so Adelle could drive home the seriousness of the situation (i.e. she's not really revolted, she's pretending to be in order order to help protect him from himself), or alternatively that Adelle tells her that she's a doll programmed by Topher to be his assistant - resulting in Ivy being honestly revolted.

8. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    I think Adelle told her about the tech Topher had come up with, without giving the rest of the details of the situation. Or maybe even with it.

As for Paul, personally I think it's obvious. Have a look back at Epitaph One again, and see the tension and distance between him and Echo. I have a feeling it was his ability to love.

9. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    That would be a very Whedon-like thing to do. Many of the elements in shows like Buffy and Angel had to do with unrequited or impossible love. Examples are Buffy and Angel, Buffy and Spike, Angel and Cordelia, Fred and Wesley, Mal and Inara etc.

10. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    This is going to take another watch to make my brain make sense of what just happened.

11. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Okay, THAT I did not see coming. All I could do was laugh at the sheer audacity of it.

Also very good payoff on the relationship between Saunders and Topher. I think there was every bit of free will in that.

And the seamless integration into all the scenes created in Season 1 for the various flashbacks and events that were shown in Epitaph 1 into the current storyline was great. They aren't ignoring their own history.

12. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Gosh darn it, I won't even get a chance to let itunes download the episodes until tonight, so the earliest I'll see them will be tomorrow night.

RAWRG.

13. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    So the present storyline has been wrapped up, and all that's left is to close out the future. Props to Joss for a 'villain' who believes in what they are doing all the while being bat-**** insane. Again, good use of own history with Topher 2.0, and if someone doesn't pick up Enver Gjokaj for a strong role in an ongoing serious they are insane.

Oh, and as for Millie, that at least I did see coming a mile off.

14. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Enver Gjokaj is, without a doubt in my mind, the best actor on that show. Fran Kranz is great as Topher, but that Gjokaj can do Topher as well as Kranz is just awesome.

So... Boyd had a relationship with Dr. Saunders. Clyde Randolph is Boyd's business partner and co-founder of Rossum. Clyde Randolph takes Dr. Saunders' body. Man, did that ever feel kinky.

I'm kind of surprised that Boyd wanted Paul dead. I got the impression that he kind of liked and respected Paul.

15. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    And that's all there is... there isn't any more :_|

On the most part it was a decent episode, not brilliant but it wrapped most things up well!

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    unlock n bump

17. saturn5

Aug 28, 2009
    One thing I should have mentioned is the great cover for Dollhouse S2 DVDs, as Fred says in Angel there's just something about a beautiful woman cradling a big gun, especially if she's in spiked thigh boots!

INSTINCT

The good;
    Very clever concept, that the maternal instinct between a mother and her child is so great that it can overcome virtually anything (anyone else read Stephen King's short story The Breathing Method?) Echo breaking into the house is so sinister she might as well be wearing a Michael Myers mask. Contrast that to the awwww factor of Echo with the baby. Lovely to see Mellie back.
    The bad;
    Nothing really bad, just not that remarkable.

Best line;
    Ballard; (to Topher)"You're a genius"
    Topher ; "I'm not as comfortable with you saying that as I thought I'd be"
    plus
    Echo; (baby in one hand, carving knife in the other) "MOMMY'S HOME!"

Packing heat; no but Echo with a great big carving knife.
    Echo;8
    Boyd; 8
    Dominic; 9
    Sierra; 4
    Victor; 3
    Ballard; 10
    November; 1

Echo kissage; 4 her 'husband' Nate

Kinky dinky;
    Nursing mother Echo looks noticeably more buxom, the wardrobe department obviously breaking out the wonderbras and padding for this role.
    Capt subtext;
    Topher repeats to Echo that he is a good man, trying to convince himself. Echo says that feeling nothing would be worse than before, possibly alluding to Mellie and her grief.
    Notches on the Dollhouse bedpost; almost certain Echo has sex with her client, naked in bed together and Topher speaks of 'romance protocols'.
    Echo; 4 definite, 2 possible
    November; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Victor; 1
    Adele; 1
    Sierra 1 possible
    Topher; 1 possible

How'd they get away with that?
    Upsetting to watch Echo so distressed about being seperated from her child, also not good if you don't like needles.

This weeks fantasy;
    Grieving widower wants his dead wife back to care for their newborn baby. Cleverer still Sierra is inserted as a supportive best friend for her.
    What do we think of the client?
    Undoubteldy the most sympathetic yet, a guy devestated by the loss of his wife and unable to accept his own child because of the memories that stirs. In the end almost losing his baby finally makes him appreciate what he has in his son.

Total number personalitites; Echo as the mother and Sierra as her best friend Kelly
    Echo; 25
    Sierra; 12
    Victor; 7
    November; 3

Total dolls;
    8-Echo, Sierra, November, Victor, Mike, Tango, Alpha, Whiskey

Addy is a bit British;
    In response to a crisis Adele sits down and has tea. Keep calm and carry on!

Topher is a bit geeky;
    He has developed an 'app' for ventriliquism. What next, barbershop quartets?

Subverting the Hollywood cliche;
    The panicked woman fleeing the bad guys actually has the good fortune to walk around the corner and stumble across a police car.

Bondage;
    Sierra tied up; 1
    Ballard; 1

Knocked out; Topher KO' again
    Echo; 2
    November; 1
    Sierra; 1
    Victor; 1
    Topher; 2

Kills;
    Sierra; 2 kills
    Echo; 3
    November;1

Dolls injured;
    Poor Mellie, not even a Doll anymore and she still gets cracked on the head.

Happy hookers;
    Perrin refers to Rossum being involved in prostitution.

Know the face? Kristoffer Pohala seems to make a habit of appearing with Whedon alumni, guest starring in the Angel ep Billy, in Tru Calling with ED, in Mad Men with Vincent Unspellablesurname and in Life Unexpected with Emma Caulfield. Stacey Scowley who plays the senator's wife is also a Buffy Alumni, the girl whom Spike picks up and sires in the bar in Conversations with Dead People.
    9 Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Amy Acker-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), walking action figure-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Eliza Dushku-3 (Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse), Jim Piddock-2 (Angel/Dollhouse), Gregg Henry-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Alan Tudyk-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Felicia Day-2(Dollhouse/Buffy), Alexis Denisoff-3 (Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse), Kristoffer Pohala-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), Stacey Scowley-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse)

Guantanamo;
    Kinda scary the way panicking mother Ec

18. saturn5

Aug 28, 2009

BELLE CHOSE
    The good;
    Ballard and the other handler consoling one another whist waiting for their charges to select clothes makes me laugh out loud every time. Victor's girly dancing is just fabulous as is him as Terry (Enver really is the best actor in the cast). I like the fact that Victor's chip is missing due to bureaucracy and oversight, it has that element of truth to it even in a place as sophisticated as the Dollhouse. Echo/Terry stabbing the professor is a real shocker.
    The bad;
    I know a lot of people say that you can see the human statues move (as you can in the Angel ep 'Just desserts') but you would expect that, they're not real statues they're parlaysed women and the drugs are wearing off. Why not just let Victor go and track him (when he's got his chip in)? How does a guy as lamely dressed as Terry get into a trendy club? Terry's victims seem to accept the Dollhouse tactical team awfully easily, they don't even have 'Police' written on their overalls.

Best line;
    Boyd; "Topher has ethical problems. TOPHER!"
    plus
    Dollhouse fashion guru; "Not exactly a rocket scientist. Normally that's irony but around here you never know"
    and
    Echo/Kiki; "I mean how hard can it be, it's medi-eaval, it's not even advanced eaval"

Packing heat; nope, croquet mallets and letter openers
    Echo;8
    Boyd; 8
    Dominic; 9
    Sierra; 4
    Victor; 3
    Ballard; 10
    November; 1

Echo kissage; 4

Kinky dinky;
    The villain appears to be a fan of ASFR, that is a fetish for transforming people into statues/living waxworks/robots. (I know what you're thinking, "Girl, now you're just making this stuff up" but I'm really not, just type ASFR into your search engine and you'll see what I mean.) The shower scenes are back, the fans must have complained that they missed them. Echo comments 'I'm wet' when appearing naked in front of Ballard but she probably means from the shower. Kiki is hot to trot and is delectable in her mini-skirt and knee socks, lovely sexy dance she does for the prof. Nice analogy of female power in Kiki's discussion with the Professor of Chaucer and interesting use of the term 'whippe', Echo/Kiki also seems a fan of wearing spurs "Nasty!" (where would this assigment have gone had it continued?).
    Capt subtext;
    Topher once again worries that he's creating a 'man reaction' in another male. The head of the Dollhouse clothing department is extremely fey and obviously in his dream job (I originally thought that this might be Harry Groener, Mayor Wilkins from Buffy but it's not). Victor/Kiki and Paul make a rather cute gay couple "Gotta a problem?".
    Notches on the Dollhouse bedpost;
    November; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Victor; 1
    Adele; 1
    Sierra 1 possible
    Topher; 1 possible

Women imprisoned and struck on the head with a croquet mallet. The poor Prof knifed in the neck.

This weeks fantasy;
    Echo AND Victor are Kiki, a scatterbrained but fun-loving student. Victor/Echo are also the villain, creepy dweeb Terry Karrens.
    Hard to know what to make of Echo's professor client. He wants to have an affair with one of his students but rather than do it for real he hires Echo to act out the fantasy for him instead, getting to live the dream without tarnishing his professional ethics. I guess that's actually ok, he can't help how he feels so he's doing this to avoid real temptation. The Uncle also seems not a bad guy, keen to rescue his nephew but also wanting to save his victims.

Total number personalitites; 2 for Victor and Echo
    Echo; 27
    Sierra; 12
    Victor; 9
    November; 3

Total dolls;

Addy is a bit British;

Topher is a bit geeky;
    Love the face to face scene between him and Ivy as they try to reboot everything, very Juggernaut.

. Victor/Kiki goes from gaybashed to bigotbasher. Nice to see the captured girls are actually escaping on their own rather than needing to be rescued "We're not his toys".

19. saturn5

Aug 28, 2009

BELONGING

The good;
    Very good mislead at the start, you keep trying to figure out the nature of Sierra's assignment. Nice to see Adele with long hair again. Some great acting from Dichen in her madness.

The bad;
    If Kinnard has used the LA Dollhouse before in his seduction of Priya isn't he worried anyone will remember her?

Best line;
    Kinnard;(of Priya) "I'm a collector, you're the real deal" (collector of what exactly?)
    plus
    Topher; "I'm not the bad man" (as we shall learn)

Packing heat; nope
    Echo;8
    Boyd; 8
    Dominic; 9
    Sierra; 4
    Victor; 3
    Ballard; 10
    November; 1

Echo kissage; 4

Kinky dinky;
    Of course you can't go to Venice Beach to film and not have a couple of shapely bimbos in bikinis wander across the screen. Plenty of both straight and gay sex at the art exhibition 'chill out room' along with a few lines of coke. Note that among the pictures in Kinnard's drawer is a picture of Sierra in a schoolgirls uniform.

Capt subtext;
    Note how tactile Adele is with Topher, hinting at the mother/son like relationship we saw in Epitaph One.

Notches on the Dollhouse bedpost; definitely Kinnard for Sierra
    November; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Victor; 1
    Adele; 1
    Sierra 1 definite
    Topher; 1 possible

Boyd and Topher butcher Kinnard and dissolve his body with acid. Yeessh! The whole Sierra/Kinnard fight and Topher's disposal of the corpse is incredibly bloody and brutal, to judge by the commentary it was even more visceral in the first cut, must have been the full Evil Dead 2. More needles, you know some of us suffer trypanophobia Joss.

This weeks fantasy;
    Sierra is essentially her original personality of Priya but in love and devoted to Kinnard.

Adele hits the nail on the head, loathsome scum. Essentially the Dollhouse is a high tech brothel (although not every assignment features sex), whatever you think of prostitution it's the choice of the actives to go there. They're all consenting adults, doing it for money and other benefits, Caroline to avoid going to jail, Mellie to help her get over her grief, Victor to presumably help him recover from his traumatic wartime experiences . However we now learn that Sierra ISN'T a volunteer, she's there because the man who couldn't have her despite all his wealth and influence pumped her full of drugs and then had her brainwashed into his submissive concubine. She's a slave pure and simple and what he does to her is rape. And Rossum is quite willing to let this continue. Thankfully Topher isn't.

Total number personalitites; Victor and Echo are a couple of highbrow art fans hired to make Kinnard look good
    Echo; 28
    Sierra; 12
    Victor; 10
    November; 3

Total dolls;

Addy is a bit British;
    She tells it straight, describing Kinnard as a 'raping scumbag' but still serves him tea with a smile.

Topher is a bit geeky;
    He does resemble Shaggy, zoiks!

Bondage;
    Sierra tied up; 1
    Ballard; 1

Knocked out;
    Echo; 2
    November; 1
    Sierra; 1
    Victor; 1
    Topher; 2

Kills; Sierra/Priya kills Kinnard with a steak knife to the heart
    Sierra; 3 kills
    Echo; 3
    November;1

Dolls injured;
    Poor Sierra nastily knocked around.

Happy hookers;

Know the face? Clyde Katulas, one of those actors you see everywhere on TV. Here he plays the doctor at Pirya's mental hospital and played a very similar role on the Buffy ep 'Nightmares'
    12-Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Amy Acker-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), walking action figure-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Eliza Dushku-3 (Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse), Jim Piddock-2 (Angel/Dollhouse), Gregg Henry-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Alan Tudyk-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Felicia Day-2(Dollhouse/Buffy), Alexis Denisoff-3 (Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse), Kristoffer Pohala-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), Stacey Scowley-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse) Clyde Katulas-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse)

Guantanamo;
    Fanfic;

Missing scenes

20. saturn5

Aug 28, 2009
    THE PUBLIC EYE
    The good;
    Laugh out loud at the scene where Topher tries out his disruptor only to knock out a random passing doll, sending them tumbling down the stairs. The conspiracy storyline really kicks in and lovely to see Mellie back once again. Masterful bait and switch that Perrin is the doll and his wife is the handler, she seems so threatening to Ballard even when she's a tiny little woman and he's this ripped martial arts expert. .
    The bad;
    Not much, heck of a good ep. One question, if Perrin is so security conscious how do they dope his drink?

Best line;
    Adele; "An emergency measure for when things get hot"
    Ballard; "I'd say things are warmish"
    plus
    Ballard; (pointing to Topher's gizmo) "What is that?"
    Topher; (nervously) "It's the thing that if it doesn't work won't get me in trouble"
    and
    Perrin; "You're a doll"
    Echo/Bree; "You're cute too"
    also
    Echo/Bree; "If you want to do the right thing don't bring your hooker mistress to meet your wife"
    not to mention;
    Cindy Perrin; "If this plan doesn't work we're going to be demoted to being dead"

Packing heat;
    Echo;8
    Boyd; 8
    Dominic; 9
    Sierra; 4
    Victor; 3
    Ballard; 10
    November; 1

Echo kissage; 4

Kinky dinky;
    Echo in hookerwear and almost naked Senator Perrin for the Alexis fans. Echo/Bree enjoys it 'a little rough' and whilst she considers Perrin twisted she 'likes that a lot'.

Capt subtext;
    Echo/Bree is into the idea of threesomes with the Senator and his wife but charges extra for them. Washington Doll 'Hades' is out servicing a 'closeted' councilman.

Notches on the Dollhouse bedpost; Echo/Bree and Perrin
    Echo; 5 definite, 2 possible
    November; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Victor; 1
    Adele; 1
    Sierra 1
    Topher; 1 possible

Bennet tortures Echo very nastily indeed.

This weeks fantasy;
    Echo is an extremely kinky but very likeable nympho callgirl Bree.

Adele's plan for Perrin is rather underhand, seducing and blackmailing him. But compared to robbing him of his free will and brainwashing him into their slave it's pretty minor.

Total number personalitites; Echo is call girl Bree
    Echo; 29
    Sierra; 12
    Victor; 10
    November; 3

Total dolls; we meet the petite and lovely Kilo
    9-Echo, Sierra, November, Victor, Mike, Tango, Alpha, Whiskey, Kilo

Addy is a bit British;

Topher is a bit geeky;
    He refer to disruptors and Star Trek (weapons that the Romulans use, right?)

Bondage; Echo/Bree offers to tie Senator Perrin up. She is tied up by Bennet at the end
    Sierra tied up; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Echo; 1

Knocked out; Echo twice by Topher's gadget
    Echo; 4
    November; 1
    Sierra; 1
    Victor; 1
    Topher; 2

Kills;
    Sierra; 3 kills
    Echo; 3
    November;1

Dolls injured;
    Poor Echo get's pistol-whipped then brutally tortured by Bennet.

Happy hookers;
    Echo is imprinted as call girl Bree, a very happy hooker who wanted to be a dancer but found escort work more lucrative and likes what she does.

Know the face? It's hot in here, it must be summer! Summer Glau, another hattrick. Also Maurissa Tanchon who in addition to being a Dollhouse writer featured on Dr Horrible
    14-Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Amy Acker-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), walking action figure-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Eliza Dushku-3 (Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse), Jim Piddock-2 (Angel/Dollhouse), Gregg Henry-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Alan Tudyk-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Felicia Day-2(Dollhouse/Buffy), Alexis Denisoff-3 (Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse), Kristoffer Pohala-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), Stacey Scowley-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse) Clyde Katulas-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Maurissa Tanchon-2(Dollhouse/Dr Horrible), Summer Glau-3(Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse).

Guantanamo;
    Fanfic;

Missing scenes;.

Reminds me of;

Whedon cliches;
    Characters with just one arm (like Lindsey in Angel). Rich and powerful famillies who cover up the evil deeds of their wayward sons. Top security installations which aren't secure at all. Loving self-sacrificin

21. saturn5

Aug 28, 2009

THE LEFT HAND
    The good;
    Once again some great acting from Enver, his Topher impression is flawless. Nice face off between Adele and her Washington counterpart too.

The bad;
    It all seems a little overly complex, surely there must be simpler ways for Rossum to protect itself. Equally it rather beggars belief that with all the attention focused on him Rossum could get away with controlling the senator in quite so blatant a manner.

Best line;
    Topher; "The only person in the world I would trust" (HIMSELF!)
    also like
    Adele; (grabbing the Washington Dollhouse heads groin)"If you don't return my active I will send someone to cut these off!"
    plus
    Adele; (upon finding Topher arguing with Toper/Victor); "Finding him obstinate are we?"

Packing heat;
    Echo;8
    Boyd; 8
    Dominic; 9
    Sierra; 4
    Victor; 3
    Ballard; 10
    November; 1

Echo kissage; 4

Kinky dinky;
    Topher thinks Bennett's 'Librarian energy' is through the roof, she has got a serious case of the Diana Princes.

Capt subtext;
    Bennett remarks to Topher 'Looks like you got the girl'. Love the little smile of pride Adele gives Topher as he tricks his way into Perrin's brain print. Topher asks himself "Who's your backdoor man?" before deciding on a better phrasing.

November; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Victor; 1
    Adele; 1
    Sierra 1
    Topher; 1 possible

Echo getting tortured is nasty indeed, she can't pass out and can't even cry out to god. Can we please have an ep without needles, I really don't like them. Bennett's headbutt is also nasty, somehow it's easier to watch people harm one another than themselves. On a similar vein hard to watch Perrin and Echo cutting on another's chips out. Perrin snapping the goons neck and strangling his wife is also disturbing, Alexis showing some of the creepiness he demonstrated in the Angel ep 'Billy'.

This weeks fantasy;

Total number personalitites;
    Echo; 28
    Sierra; 12
    Victor; 10
    November; 3

Total LA dolls; Mellie is a Doll once more at the Washington Dollhouse, I wonder what her new name will be?

Addy is a bit British;

Topher is a bit geeky;

Bondage;
    Sierra tied up; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Echo; 2

Knocked out; twice for Echo
    Echo; 6
    November; 1
    Sierra; 1
    Victor; 1
    Topher; 2

Kills;
    Sierra; 3 kills
    Echo; 3
    November;1

Dolls injured;
    Echo roughed up again.

Happy hookers;
    As Bennett stares quizically at Echo/Bree's brain print Topher explains "She was kinda a hooker"

Know the face? Ray Wise, another great character actor from Twin Peaks, Robocop and especially good as The Devil in Reaper.
    14-Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Amy Acker-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), walking action figure-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Eliza Dushku-3 (Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse), Jim Piddock-2 (Angel/Dollhouse), Gregg Henry-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Alan Tudyk-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Felicia Day-2(Dollhouse/Buffy), Alexis Denisoff-3 (Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse), Kristoffer Pohala-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), Stacey Scowley-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse) Clyde Katulas-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Maurissa Tanchon-2(Dollhouse/Dr Horrible), Summer Glau-3(Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse).

Guantanamo;
    Fanfic;

Missing scenes;.

Reminds me of;
    With her useless arm Bennett has more than a little Dr Strangelove about her.

Whedon cliches;
    Maimed characters. Rich and powerful famillies who cover up the evil deeds of their wayward sons. Top security installations which aren't secure at all. Loving self-sacrificing mothers who risk all for their children

Breaking the programming;
    Echo can now distance herself from the personality of Caroline and perhaps doesn't want her back. If Bennett's memories are to be trusted we can see why? Echo is now able to overcome her imprinting to the degree that she can use her arm even though Bennett programmed her not to.

22. saturn5

Aug 28, 2009
    Meet Jane Doe
    The good;
    The subtle struggle for power within the Dollhouse is truly nailbiting stuff, especially the final scene between Topher and Adele. Some lovely little touches showing how much the Dollhouse has changed since Adele is no longer in charge, cigars in Adele's office, Boyd's security guys with their feet up.

The bad;
    Do we really think a girl as gorgeous as Echo needs to shoplift or scrounge from bins? Couldn't she just charm her way through life in the manner of 'The Sexless Innkeeper'? Personally I don't find the jail storyline all that involving, it just doesn't seem much of a challenge to our girl when we've seen her do so much more. Also it seems unecessarily complex, why not just have Ballard take the Mexican girl into custody as his FBI witness? In many ways the Dollhouse reminds me of early Angel, supposed to be about the 'client of the week' but the viewers wanted more and more arc and interaction with the central characters instead.

Best line;
    Echo; (putting the moves on him) "...just the two of us?"
    Ballard; (turning her down)"Is it really just the 2 of us?"
    plus
    Rossum honcho; "Did you ever think of imprinting a Doll to kill me?"
    Adele; "I like to think I'd have the honesty to do it myself"

Packing heat;
    Echo;8
    Boyd; 8
    Dominic; 9
    Sierra; 4
    Victor; 3
    Ballard; 10
    November; 1

Echo kissage; 4

Kinky dinky;
    The latest client seems to be a sadist who quotes the Marquis de Sade. Echo comments that sometimes a girl 'likes to be chased'. She implies that she's done a 'sister act' before but never with 'cooking food'? Ballard and Echo's training seems akin to foreplay, 'getting all sweaty' as Xander would say.

Capt subtext;
    Adele tells Topher she cares for him, reinforcing their mother/wayward son vibe. She also calls Echo 'love', English slang or something more? Echo comments that she's been 'gay' 7 times and that occasionally there is some 'noise from the chorus girls'.

November; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Victor; 1
    Adele; 1
    Sierra 1
    Topher; 1 possible

Can we please have an ep with no needles? Also the prisoner's bruising is nasty, again because it's more real than any sci-fi injury

This weeks fantasy;
    The Dollhouse is now renting out Dolls as submissives to a sadist.

Hard to know, how far does he go? The stern headmaster or Pinhead from Hellraiser? You could argue that it's better for him to do this with actives as they'll be unhurt and have no memory of it afterwards.

Total number personalitites; Echo refers to now having 36 personalities in her mind
    Echo; 36
    Sierra; 12
    Victor; 10
    November; 3

Total LA dolls;

Addy is a bit British;
    She call's Echo 'love' (see Capt Subtext)

Topher is a bit geeky;
    He actually refers to Cylons on a show with numerous BSG stars!

Bondage;
    Sierra tied up; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Echo; 2

Knocked out;
    Echo; 6
    November; 1
    Sierra; 1
    Victor; 1
    Topher; 2

Kills;
    Sierra; 3 kills
    Echo; 3
    November;1

Dolls injured;

Happy hookers;

Know the face? Glenn Morshower, another great character actor who also played Cassie Newton's dad in the Buffy ep 'Help'
    15-Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Amy Acker-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), walking action figure-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Eliza Dushku-3 (Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse), Jim Piddock-2 (Angel/Dollhouse), Gregg Henry-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Alan Tudyk-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Felicia Day-2(Dollhouse/Buffy), Alexis Denisoff-3 (Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse), Kristoffer Pohala-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), Stacey Scowley-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse) Clyde Katulas-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Maurissa Tanchon-2(Dollhouse/Dr Horrible), Summer Glau-3(Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse) Glenn Morshower-2(Buffy/Dollhouse)

Guantanamo;
    Brutality from the police towards illegal immigrants, keeping 'the scum off the streets'.

Fanfic;

23. saturn5

Aug 28, 2009
    STOP LOSS
    The good;
    Ivy's back, hooray! A small moment but I love how Echo tells Victor he needs to say goodbye to Sierra and he does so like a kids TV character. Also a nice touch that he feels the need to sleep in a pod once released.
    The bad;
    Nothing bad, just a bit lacklustre. You wonder that the supersoldiers can't come up with a better way to recruit Victor than beating him up and kidnapping him, couldn't they just invite him for a beer or something? Check out the scene where Echo knocks Victor out. He waits a second then let's go of his rifle to allow her to pick it up.

Best line;
    Adele; "I want roger. I want to roger Roger"
    and
    Echo; (threateningly) "Remember, I have a serial killer in my head"
    Adele; (not backing down an inch) "One that's petirifed of women if I recall"
    Packing heat; Echo chooses a S&W 9mm, Boyd has his revolver and Victor a SIG. Echo also picks up a SIG and everyone uses M4 carbines
    Echo;10
    Boyd; 10
    Dominic; 9
    Sierra; 5
    Victor; 5
    Ballard; 11
    November; 1

Echo kissage; 4

Kinky dinky;
    The only personality Ivy doesn't download into Echo is the 'Naughty pirate wench'. Which I think is something of a shame personally. GI Jane Echo is also pretty hot. Naked Adele. The last scene a delight for cling film fetishists. Again, I'm not kidding either; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummification_(BDSM)
    Capt subtext;
    Very obvious jealousy from Adele over Victor. When she takes the shower with the actives does this represent her throwing her lot in with them? The ending rather suggests the opposite.

Notches on the Dollhouse bedpost; Imprinted Victor actually refuses to have sex with the lovely Adele because he is promised to another
    Echo; 6 definite, 2 possible
    November; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Victor; 1
    Adele; 1
    Sierra 1
    Topher; 1 possible

Drooling Adele!

This weeks fantasy;

Total number personalitites; lord knows how many personalities Ivy and Topher downloaded into Echo for her mission, I'll put at least 5?
    Echo; 41
    Sierra; 13
    Victor; 11
    November; 3

Total LA dolls; .

Addy is a bit British;
    see best line

Topher is a bit geeky;

When Victor is asked to join the big bad military conspiracy his response is "Where do I sign up?"

Bondage; Victor plasticuffed, Echo and Sierra hooded but not cuffed. Victor, Sierra and Echo all bound in the attic at the end
    Sierra tied up; 2
    Ballard; 2
    Echo; 4
    Victor; 2

Knocked out; Victor KO'd by commandos and Echo and Rossum as are Echo and Sierra
    Echo; 7
    November; 1
    Sierra; 2
    Victor; 3
    Topher; 3
    Ballard; 1

Kills; amazingly given all the gunplay the Dolls don't kill anyone
    Sierra; 3 kills
    Echo; 3
    November;1

Dolls injured;

Happy hookers;

Know the face?
    15-Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Amy Acker-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), walking action figure-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Eliza Dushku-3 (Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse), Jim Piddock-2 (Angel/Dollhouse), Gregg Henry-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Alan Tudyk-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Felicia Day-2(Dollhouse/Buffy), Alexis Denisoff-3 (Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse), Kristoffer Pohala-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), Stacey Scowley-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse) Clyde Katulas-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Maurissa Tanchon-2(Dollhouse/Dr Horrible), Summer Glau-3(Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse) Glenn Morshower-2(Buffy/Dollhouse)

Guantanamo;
    Adele thinks that "Pain reveals who we really are". Does she mean his or hers? The Bay of Pigs is referred to (as it was in Buffy), a danger of 'group-think'. Echo tortured as she's sent to the attic.

Fanfic;
    Just type mummification+fetish into your search engine

Missing scenes;.

Reminds me of;
    The white body suits rather reminds me Jerry Bruckheimers The Island.

Whedon cliches; It's those strawberries again, just like Firefly. Secret military organisations with underground headquarters
    Maimed characters. Rich and powerful famillies who

24. saturn5

Aug 28, 2009
    THE ATTIC

The good;
    Quite effective episode which explains a lot in terms of exposition but the best part of all is the bait and switch at the end, hell of a Keyser Soze, worthy of 'Enemies' and 'Not Fade Away'.
    The bad;
    Considering how omniscient Rossum are supposed to be it seems incredible that Adele is able to assemble her troops without them knowing. But maybe they do? Clyde might as well be called 'Basil Exposition'.

Best line;
    Echo; "My real name's Echo" (so what about Caroline?)
    Packing heat; everyone fielding H&K MP5Ks and M4's. Ballards takes Boyd's revolver for his confrontation with Adele and she has acquired a Walther PPK in case Alpha plans another visit.
    Echo;12
    Boyd; 10
    Dominic; 10
    Sierra; 7
    Victor; 7
    Ballard; 11
    November; 1

Echo kissage; 4

Kinky dinky;
    "Rigor mortis is the new viagra" That doesn't even bear thinking about! Adele says that the Dollhouse need's a 'strapping new Victor'.
    Capt subtext;
    When Topher claims to have tried homo and hetertopic cures for Ballard Adele puns on the words and asks who hasn't? Note Echo describes Terry Karen's family as 'hateful', her opinion of them obviously influenced by his memories. Adele states what we all thought, that Boyd is like a father to Echo. Clyde 1.0's fears are essentially what we see realised in Epitaph 1. If Adele is considering Ballard for the new Victor perhaps she wants him to play Roger from now on?

Notches on the Dollhouse bedpost; Sierra and Victor get it on but it's not real
    November; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Victor; 1
    Adele; 1
    Sierra 1
    Topher; 1 possible

Not only needles but Echo stabbing the Rossum tech in the forehead with them! Slit throats, severed legs, cannabalism and self-cannabalism! Jeez!

This weeks fantasy;

Echo; 41
    Sierra; 13
    Victor; 11
    November; 3

Total LA dolls; .

Addy is a bit British;

Topher is a bit geeky;
    Has no idea about Ivy's sports analogy. He's wrong though, Darth Vader kills Captains, not Lieutenants.

Bondage;
    Sierra tied up; 2
    Ballard; 2
    Echo; 4
    Victor; 2

Knocked out;
    Echo; 7
    November; 1
    Sierra; 2
    Victor; 3
    Topher; 3
    Ballard; 1

Kills;
    Sierra; 3 kills
    Echo; 3
    November;1

Dolls injured;

Happy hookers;

Know the face? Greg Collins also played one of the thugs in the Angel ep 'Rm w/a vu'
    16-Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Amy Acker-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), walking action figure-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Eliza Dushku-3 (Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse), Jim Piddock-2 (Angel/Dollhouse), Gregg Henry-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Alan Tudyk-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Felicia Day-2(Dollhouse/Buffy), Alexis Denisoff-3 (Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse), Kristoffer Pohala-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), Stacey Scowley-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse) Clyde Katulas-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Maurissa Tanchon-2(Dollhouse/Dr Horrible), Summer Glau-3(Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse) Glenn Morshower-2(Buffy/Dollhouse), Greg Collins-2(Angel/Dollhouse)

Guantanamo;

Fanfic;

Missing scenes;.

Reminds me of;
    The whole thing is very reminiscent of the Buffy ep 'Restless', right down to the monster pursuing the characters from dreamscape to dreamscape not to mention the Angel ep 'Hellbound'. .
    The twisty tree reminds me of Tom Burton's gothic masterpiece Sleepy Hollow. I don't get the Highlander reference, I don't remember Connor pursuing anyone obsessively across the centuries? Need I mention The Matrix?

Whedon cliches;
    Maimed characters. Rich and powerful famillies who cover up the evil deeds of their wayward sons. Top security installations which aren't secure at all. Loving self-sacrificing mothers who risk all for their children. Corporate politics literally played with deadly seriousness. Monty Python quoting villains. Offices full of zombies. Strawberries.

Breaking the programming;
    Echo can now o

25. saturn5

Aug 28, 2009
    GETTING CLOSER
    The good;
    Wait a second, Boyd's the bad guy! Wow, didn't see THAT coming! Not to mention Dr Saunders(?) blowing Bennett's head off! Talk about 2 jawdropping moments in the same episode. That's off course if Caroline's memories are to be trusted and she's not just putting Boyd's face onto the person in her memory (as Dana did with Spike in the Angel ep 'Damage')
    The bad;
    If Caroline wants to destroy the labs beneath her why does she put the bombs on the roof of the service shaft? Why doesn't she put them on the bottom? Dominic and Adele just send terrorist Caroline up to meet the Rossum head honchos and don't even frisk her, what if she'd pulled out a gun and blown them both away? When Adele, Ballard and Echo play pass-the-pistol they each cock it, emptying the magazine of rounds.

Best line;
    Ballard; (hearing the explosions of Rossum's force entering the Dollhouse) "We're breached"
    Echo; "That's one word for it"
    Packing heat; Adele/Ballard/Echo trade the same pistol
    Echo;13
    Boyd; 10
    Dominic; 10
    Sierra; 7
    Victor; 7
    Ballard; 12
    November; 1
    Adele; 2

Echo kissage; 4

Kinky dinky;
    Caroline uses her feminine wiles to get access to Adele's office. Topher remarks to Bennett 'You show me yours, I'll show you mine'. At least they have the chance to get kissy with one another before you know what happens.
    Capt subtext;
    Caroline's relationship with Bennett is akin to seduction but Bennett is happy to be 'used'. Bennet remarks that Caroline is the first person to 'Take an interest' in her whilst Caroline asks her to 'Buy me dinner first'. Does Paul rescue Mellie because Topher removes his obsession with Echo? Boyd and Echo finally hug. Topher confesses he had a crush on Bennett even when he thought she was a guy. Adele refers to Echo as 'darling'. Topher makes sure that Ivy escapes. Because he LOVES her.....

November; 1
    Ballard; 1
    Victor; 1
    Adele; 1
    Sierra 1
    Topher; 1 possible

Bennett's brain matter splattered all over the lab AND Topher!

This weeks fantasy;

Echo; 41
    Sierra; 13
    Victor; 11
    November; 3

Total LA dolls; we meet Apollo and Cassandra, Dolls in the DC house (Cassandra foretells disaster?)

Addy is a bit British;
    She loathes Arizona (too dry for her?). When a bullet shatters the window in front of her she comments 'Damn, I just had that replaced' in true Churchillian style. By contrast Caroline hates tea, she's obviously evil, let's keep Echo instead.

Topher is a bit geeky;

Bondage; Caroline cuffs the security guard. Echo is tied down by Ballard
    Sierra tied up; 2
    Ballard; 2
    Echo; 5
    Victor; 2

Knocked out; Topher by Rossum goon
    Echo; 7
    November; 1
    Sierra; 2
    Victor; 3
    Topher; 4
    Ballard; 1

Kills; Boyd kills the Rossum head honcho and 3 of his goons
    Sierra; 3 kills
    Echo; 3
    November;1
    Boyd; 4

Dolls injured;

Happy hookers;
    Echo comments that people still look at her as though she's 'Doing tricks'

Know the face? Mike Massa was of course David Boreanaz's stunt double in both Angel and Buffy
    17-Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Amy Acker-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), walking action figure-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Eliza Dushku-3 (Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse), Jim Piddock-2 (Angel/Dollhouse), Gregg Henry-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Alan Tudyk-2 (Dollhouse/Firefly), Felicia Day-2(Dollhouse/Buffy), Alexis Denisoff-3 (Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse), Kristoffer Pohala-2 (Dollhouse/Angel), Stacey Scowley-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse) Clyde Katulas-2 (Buffy/Dollhouse), Maurissa Tanchon-2(Dollhouse/Dr Horrible), Summer Glau-3(Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse) Glenn Morshower-2(Buffy/Dollhouse). Greg Collins-2(Angel/Dollhouse) Mike Massa-3(Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse)

Guantanamo;
    Dominic tortures the poor security guard. Adele shows her ruthlessness, wanting to ret

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.