main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I suppose if Dom is Luke's son, they'll want to keep it a secret until the end. The problem with that is they would already have done that once already with Rey being Han and Leia's daughter. How many of these can they pop in a single movie, let alone the rest of the trilogy?

And then the mystery of Dom's mother comes into play which cannot be ignored. (it would be as if they gave a backstory to Anakin without ever introducing Luke and Leia's mother). It gets very confusing and convoluted very quickly.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    kinda of, but Gleeson's presonality/views are nowhere near Kanan's, Gleeson is the extreme version.[face_devil]

Revanfan1 and nightangel like this.
  3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

The way I see it: Dom's reveal has to happen somewhere towards the end of the middle act/beginning of last act. That would mean he also, very quickly, has to connect to the heroes narratively. So, we can spend(even if brief)some time with him.

As far as Gleeson being a Jedi: I think its either all or nothing with his character. Either he is an established Jedi who has hid this for years. That could work considering he is a guy to be mid-late twenties or he never became a Jedi(nor has an interest to be one).

4. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Seems like multiple storylines like LOTR. Dom is kind of like Aragorn. Luke is Gandalf. Rey, Finn, and Poe are like Hobbits and the rest of the fellowship. Elrond is like Han (or is that Gandalf). Leia is Galadriel, etc. Not in exact roles, but you know. Elders, new heroes, and the one poised to be the next "King".

But there will still be a MAJOR void left by the fact that we don't know who Luke's wife is/was. They could get into it in the next movie, but it's still going to feel empty. Her certainly had plenty of time to have a family, but the audience would want to have been part of that process. Like I said before, it would be a lot like having the backstory of Anakin not include Padme.

DarthBreezy, Han Drolo and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Maybe there won't be a buildup to Rey's reveal like Dom's. Maybe Rey will be revealed to be a Solo as soon as they leave Tatooine. A quick "Hey, Dad" as they walk into the Falcon's cockpit and that's it, no surprise, no attempt to hide it, that's it. Dom, on the other hand, you could drop hints through the whole movie but not really confirm or deny his identity until toward the end. No reason it couldn't work. Rey's would be more of a wink-wink nudge-nudge thing than a big "I am your father" reveal. That would be Dom's reveal. At least, that's the way I could see it going.

6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Well, there is a way around that narratively. You make her presence felt through the actions of the characters. Even if we never got to meet her.

For all we know, she may be the reason that Luke/Luke jr concocted the plan to begin with. Thats not going to satisfy everyone but it works narratively(from a mechanical stand point). IF, well executed, it won't necessarily feel cheap either. Unfortunately it rides a lot on performance of the actors in question.

It makes it even more difficult because neither Luke/Luke jr are lead characters. So they may only have a conversation or two to address it.

7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    That´s the way I see it too.

Btw, tomorrow´s MSW podcast. They will surely ellaborate on these rumors. I can´t wait to listen to it.

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Absolutely spot-on.

In that case, we can consider ourselves fortunate that some terrific actors were cast! :D

You know, if there is a new Skywalker, I'm still of the opinion that -- while I'd genuinely like to see the mother's story unfold in the ST -- I'd have no issue whatsoever with beginning to address a lot of these unknowns in a stand-alone film.

Between that option, and the three feature-length films of the ST, shouldn't there be more than enough opportunity for any questions re. Luke's son, that son's mother, the effect on Luke, etc. to be answered?

If there is a new Skywalker, we'll learn about Mom. There's no denying that. I think the only question is "when/which medium?"

9. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yeah, could definitely be like that. I said a while back that all of the talk of Rey/Kira/Jaina/Solo could be a minor twist to hide the BIG twist at the end (Dom being Luke's son). Once the general audience realizes that the small twist about Rey is over they'll be blindsided when another one pops up.

starocean90 and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    If Rey and Dom's character are related do you think they will know each other? Would the Solo's know about Luke's son. Does Luke even know he has a son?

11. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Vader had no introduction in ANH. People called him Lord but Tarkin obviously outranked him.
    . Luke lived with his Aunt and Uncle - they dont even bring up mom.
    Lucas just dumped you middle of a story without having to explain everything.

I can see any offspring solo or skywalker just being addressed formally and just so matter of fact. Less is more i think. The toys, poster, trailer, somethings going to give us all the names but none it will mean anything except for the story itself. If the story requires them to have alter identitys then great, if it doesnt...then great also.

12. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I would guess no.

But I don't believe they are related, personally. Need mo proof yo

13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Rylo Ken? Is Devin alright?

So it appears that Dom is a really high ranked officer, since he is commanding to Gwendoline Christie. (Would that be believable considering that he is younger than her?)

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly. That's the way Star Wars always works especially for the first movie in a trilogy. Obviously lots of things that are happening in the story are explained but like the state of the galaxy from Leia, Tarkin, Vader, Obi-Wan etc but not the history or context. No different in the PT in terms of the same kind of thing. The difference in the PT is that what we learn on the fly gives the context for the OT.

15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    this is not the real world, he obviously rose through the ranks quickly even with his young age, which means he's a good commander as all the OT ones were all older guys and he's not in the same field of profession as Christie (more grunt work). One is an Imperial Commander and one is an Stormtrooper commander, you guess who would serve who.;)

Revanfan1, coxie0520 and nightangel like this.
  16. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014

Padme was elected queen at 14. Leia was a galactic senator at 18 /(19?). So, it wouldn't surprise me if Dom attained a high rank among the imperials in TFA ;)

17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He could also be an imperial commander outside the rank/chain-of-command system like Vader was.

coxie0520 and starocean90 like this.
  18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    he does seem to have a high position as SWU described him being in the same room as Kylo Ren (Driver) and Uber (Serkis), which does seem to possibly put him outside the rank like Vader.

Varinnia likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe he's a time traveler?

20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    My guess is that a Jedi Knight, that also happens to be Luke Skywalker's son, defects to the Empire, they are going to give him whatever title he wants.

Revanfan1, nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  21. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Just listened to MSW's podcast. They do say that Dom is in league with Papa Luke infiltrating the Empire, so this is clearly an undercover thing. Also they said while he is with the Empire he is unable to communicate with his father. Also the idea when the film begins is that the family is completely seperated when the films opens. Luke is in seclusion protecting the ancient sith tomb from being opened, Rey is on her own having taken on another name to hide her true name, Domhnall has infiltrated the empire on his own. As the movie progresses, the family all gets back together.

22. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    If Gleeson is a high ranked officer. What will be your fake name? Because obviously not be the Commander Skywalker [face_laugh]

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  24. Madsci73915

Madsci73915 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2014

I think that's what a lot of folks either are forgetting or discounting. Disney is going all out with everything connected, cartoon, books, comics, etc. A lot of folks seem to still hold the opinion that only the movies matter, when they can, will, and have introduced elements in the non-movie cannon that do count.

starocean90 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  25. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    Really. It's perfect for me [face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.