main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    So now we have a member who has been told Gleeson is the new Tarkin or something? First of all, the rumored Tarkin on the film was not a general, but a captain, if I recall properly. Gleeson is refered as The General and, as SWU said back in December, he seems to have a really high rank in the new Empire, as he is present with Driver when Uber gets in contact. Not to mention he seems to do terrible things in the movie, according to Jason.

I´m not so sure I want to see Luke´s kid being a monster. If he´s going to be one, at least make him the bad guy, kind of a Sith or something. But if Luke´s kid is the new Tarkin then well, not my favourite idea.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Maybe he becomes The General after The Captain is killed by the Sith Lord for failing. Or possibly after he begins selling auto insurance.

3. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    No way he is Tarkin's son. Tarkin has been dead in canon for nearly 40 years at the time of TFA. I highly doubt Gleeson is playing a character in his early to mid 40's.

Revanfan1 and starocean90 like this.
  4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    and Making who was the first to mention Tarkin in VII,
    said that the Tarkin armband was not in the main actors department that it was a separate one with the minor/extras one, which is why he thought Tarkin was a small/cameo/easter egg.Which wouldn't fit a supporting character.[face_dunno]

nightangel likes this.
  5. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Yeah, that didn't even cross my mind. I guess another way it could be made to work, though, could be that there are two Tarkins in VII. The parent + the son (hypothetically Gleeson). The parent father/mother is killed, and Gleeson becomes next in line to inherit their mantle? Maybe...

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Gleeson not playing Luke's son would mean that MSW was lied to by 5 sources he considered reliable. Who knows how many other sources are also unreliable.[face_dunno]

7. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    These sources are probably posters off other forums and people who run the joints mixed in with friends and twitter novices :rolleyes:

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    he only considered 3 as reliable, 1 new but on the money for most things and 1 unreliable/untested.;)

nightangel likes this.
  9. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Probably not many people know what really happens. Who are the ones passing info to MSW? Are they top people inside Lucasfilm or Disney? The few ones that know everything? They are important enough to have access to concept art, clothes, locations, teaser trailers, and now apparently some scenes sheets or whatever. They don´t seem to be people behind the story or that have access to dialogue or details such as names (MSW never posted names of the characters). My guess is they are people that have access to some "technical" info. Notice how they knew what the teaser was going to look like (probably the same guys could know what was filmed).

A few months ago we had as 90% sure MVS was playing some elder character (half cyborg) that was on Tatooine to look after Kira. And that does not seem to be the case anymore.

I think there is a difference between what some sources say, the whispers insde the production team, and the info that comes as factual. I believe the latest info from MSW because it probably comes from the same source that leaked him the teaser 11 days before it came out.

10. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

I am shocked about the paucity of lines leaked. There is nothing coming from the actual script it seems. Most impressive.

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah except for a few (barely any) lines that leaked we barely know any dialogue in the movie beyond speculation so we are looking at a movie out of context.[face_laugh]

nightangel likes this.
  12. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    That´s probably because it is the area they are taking care the most.

13. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

And I like it that way. If someone handed me a real script I'd refuse, but I looooooove spoiler-talk.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  14. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, I don´t know what´s your plan, but I´m going to stop whatever I have to do the day the novel comes out, I´m going to lock inside my room and do nothing else until I have read the whole novel.

And I will visit every thread and post a spoiler solving the doubts of each thread.

Can you imagine the moment someone comes here and post a spoiler telling us who is The General and whether he survives or not?

15. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

And then the next moment when the next poster won't believe him and then the fight breaks out about the impossibility of -whatever happens to him- ...?

My plan is not to read the book before seeing the movie. My mother totally spoiled me on Leia being Luke's sister before Jedi (she knew someone who saw a rough cut)... and then I got a version of the book early. I won't do that again.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    It does seem VERY strange that with all the secrecy surrounding Gleeson's character (he can't say anything, no appearance in the teaser, no code name, etc.) that he'd be playing a one-dimensional bad guy like Tarkin. They could have cast anyone in that role. And they already have a young 30-ish bad guy in Driver. Why would they cast someone who is up and coming, has a wizard/warrior look who actually LOOKS like he'd be a good Jedi or Sith, looks like he could also play a relative of Luke's or even a descendent of Obi-Wan, only to have him play someone who is a military officer who can press a button on a superweapon?

Something doesn't feel right. We have heavy information about Ridley, Boyega, Isaac, Driver, Nyong'o and even some for Christie and Von Sydow. Even Von Sydow's seems weird but he's 85 so it's understandable if he doesn't get a big role. The others all seem rather fitting (even Nyong'o who is probably a CGI/puppet has a MAJOR role with mystique and intrigue). Gleeson may have auditioned very well for the role he got, but the role we've been described doesn't seem to fit him. They could have gone with a LOT of others who would be Imperial officers.

There's GOT to be something more to Gleeson's role.

starocean90 and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    If there is no new Skywalker is simply because they don´t want to. They could have chosen a more PT dynamic and kill Luke in TFA and have his son teach the new generation. I prefer Luke to live, but my most prefered choice was to have his offspring leading the trilogy.

Gleeson is a fantastic actor, and could play whatever role you have mentioned. But I don´t think the "it has to be more to his role" is the correct way of thinking. Same goes for other characters as Luke or Finn. Luke could very well had had a huge role on this movie, but JJ and LK simply thought it would be better for him to have a small part. Same for Gleeson. He could have been all we wanted him to be, but they thought he could be a crazy Imperial.

Thus, at this point, we can only wait and pray this movie is a good as it should be.

Trebor Sabreon and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    who knows maybe Luke's child is introduced in VIII, since Luke is introduced at the end of VII, it's possible we meet the Skywalkers in VIII. Not sure VII with Luke's tiny role can be the definite answer on whether Luke has any kids or not. I know the probability that if Luke's child is not introduced in VII then he most likely has no kids is higher but that way of thinking is not something that's 100% sure and it's more of an assumption. :)

19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Gleeson will get paid for his villainous role in TFA and move on to other jobs. It probably suits him not to get tied to a franchise after Harry Potter.

20. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Episode VII: Meet the Solos.
    Episode VIII: Meet the Skywalkers.
    Episode IX: Meet the ... Calrissians?

Revanfan1 and starocean90 like this.
  21. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Good Lord. Why is it impossible for Gleeson to play someone in their early 40s? What do you think people in their early 40s look like? Zombies? It's not that old, and there are many people in that age range who could pass for early 30s, or even late 20s. And with a little makeup, and a bit of a receding hairline added to Gleeson, he could even look like he's in his mide-late 40s.

You're acting as if I'm suggesting he play a 90 year old.

22. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Having him play Tarkin's son who meets the same fate as Tarkin? That would pretty much be a waste. Those Tarkins can't really get anything right, can they? [face_laugh] But no, I can't see him playing Tarkin's son or grandson.

Yeah I think that's what we will have to accept. Gleeson, as secretive as his role has seemed to be, is really not playing anything that special or secretive. No double agent with a shocking surprise, son or grandson of a legendary character (or even a minor character), just a bad guy who pretty much blows up at the end but may be crazed.

BUT it sill seems odd that someone so young will seemingly be the one calling the shots for the imperials in TFA. I would have loved for him to play someone who is a mole spying on the imperials and controlling the superweapon, purposely not firing it but also tossing out clues about its plans so the good guys can blow it up. Complicated, but not happening unfortunately.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, I agree. Gleeson is a Tarkin-esque character. He may or may not actually be related to Tarkin. But his facial structure, and his eyes, make it seem as if he's related...

And why not add a villain who has a personal vendetta?

General Tarkinson: "They killed my father/ granddfather, just for doing his job! You can't blame him for the fact that the job involved blowing up heavily-inhabited planets. There were no openings at the Spice Mines! The sluggish economy was at fault, not him."

24. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I was reading again the original post by MSW and I really think it still sounds quite valid. Even with the call sheets shake up.

25. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I'll say this: both for and against Gleeson being Luke's son:

a)We need some sort of villain to die. If it aint Gleeson who is it? I guess its possible no villain dies(or just peripheral characters). But, someone probably has to bite the bullet. I think the young Tarkin stuff is totally silly btw...
    b)A big running theme of this movie seems to be "things aren't what they appear to be." An infiltrating dude with his own agenda does feet into that theme quite well.

Either way, I don't really care...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.