main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't believe Gleeson is a legacy character. I just think there's more to his character than simply being another Tarkin. As for Luke having a child I'm in the very small Rey is his daughter camp.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  2. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Man I thought Michael Keaton was far and away the best Batman on film. He wasn't in the best movies, didn't have the best supporting cast or Batsuit or any of that. But you could probably suit a 63-year-old Keaton up in a new Batman movie today and still be the best one. Adam West has some cheesy retro charm and is an reasonable choice for #1 I guess, but calling Keaton's Batman terrible surprise me. I'm not even going to ask for thoughts of Christopher Reeve as Superman.

It may be a young person thing - if so, you guys will get what I'm saying when one day. Maybe in 20 years when some Taylor Lautner is starring in a Star Wars reboot and someone tells you how he's a better Han Solo than Harrison Ford. Then you will know.

Seeher and thejeditraitor like this.
  3. mollysomerville

mollysomerville Jedi Padawan

Apr 18, 2015
    he was
    He's filming "The Revenant" with DiCaprio and Tom Hardy, and Leo has a beard, so it's not that impossible since that movie is almost finished.
    *I'm trying to not have high hopes.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    If Gleeson is an Imperial, his character could start in TFA as a lower ranking officer or official, who gets promoted a few times as his superiors get killed off - like Piett TESB, but over the course of the Trilogy instead of one movie.[face_thinking]

If he isn't an Imperial, I'm guessing he is either a pilot in Poe's squad or a pirate/criminal character.[face_thinking]

5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    That pic was taken when Dom was in Ireland. He was not filming for a time, as himself answered when asked about his beard "I have not been on set for a few weeks".

6. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I think I have to believe that Gleeson is playing a one-off villain character now. You have to kill off some of the villains (especially if you kill an icon like Han Solo) and I don't see Serkis or Driver dying. Maybe Gwendoline Christie dies since she does have a tough GoT shooting schedule to work around. Gleeson just seems like someone who only wants to sign on for one movie and this role seems like the same one that Cumberbatch and Gary Oldman were up for and they both really fit that mold.

Forcesensitive01 likes this.
  7. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I doubt Christie's GoT's schedule will be much of an issue. Only 12 eps each year (maybe less) with about 150 speaking parts. In the end she may be on the screen from 5% to 10% of the time. She has enough maneuvering room to film and from what I hear the show only has a couple of years left anyway.

Don't have a feel fr what's going on with Gleeson but that's a good thing, His character may be just full of surprises.

8. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Yeah, I don't see Christie dying either. I think she'll be like the Boba Fett-ish character of this series because her outfit is so cool and they'll keep her around for a while. So yeah, someone else has to die then and I think Gleeson's character fits the bill.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he's "the general" and he probably doesn't make it past ep 7.

Forcesensitive01 likes this.
  10. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Clearer shot of him in the trailer thanks to LFL's high-res stills:
    [​IMG]

11. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, it really looks like him.

ManaByte do you guys relase a new podcast today? I am eager to listen to you coverage of the Celebration, plus any new details.

12. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

I had to skip out on the live podcast at Celebration due to a emergency Thursday night (I was also approaching the 48 hour-without-sleep mark). They recorded it. I think it may be out today but there is of course con recovery going on after five long days.

13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Domhnall participated in an AMA on Reddit today, along with Oscar. They answered a few generic Star Wars questions, but their interaction is the real fun of it. Note: strong language: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/339l16/we_are_oscar_isaac_and_domhnall_gleeson_of_ex/

ETA: this exchange, which might be Gleeson's first actual comment about his castmates:
    =D=

Trebor Sabreon and starocean90 like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

That's impressive that you can pick him out from that...at any rate, interesting. Could he be one of the Seven?

15. Hoth_in_Winter

Hoth_in_Winter Jedi Knight star 1

May 19, 2014
    No. He's The General and that will be enough.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    Gleeson could be like a "young Hitler" type.

HL&S likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That's cool. Can't see his red hair, though, because of that black cap. And it's blurry enough that it looks like his cap is pulled down over his eyes. :p

Edit: Uh, is he wearing a skirt, or a cape? Because his stance is too wide for there to be no gap between his legs, but I don't see a gap. If his legs were pressed together formally, there'd be more of a straight line from his waist on down. This is really mystifying to me.

18. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
    I thought that might be Gleeson in the trailer. I'm getting an absolute villain vibe from him, and I highly doubt he's a Skywalker; however I'm still excited to see what he's bringing to the movie :)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

That's basically where I'm thinking all of this is going.

"There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?" - Uber

It's like something Hitler would say to poison the minds of his followers or something a Hitler cult in today's society would say to boost morale and give hope for the future. Uber could very well be invoking the good name of Palpatine to keep this section of the Empire alive. I'm sure he gives wonderful speeches about Palpatine exterminating all of the Jedi. This new super weapon is probably their last hope.

Gleeson would be one of those that was indoctrinated in his youth and is now so loyal that Uber is comfortable with him being a General. This might have been an act of desperation to replace the older, experienced Admirals and Generals who fell during the civil war or maybe it's a plan to get rid of those people entirely because the young are more susceptible to the message.

Now whether Kylo Ren buys into all of that crap is another matter.

coxie0520 likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I had a thought. I think Gleeson is less a Tarkin, and more a Jerjerrod. I think Jerjerrod's deleted scenes in ROTJ are very similar to what we've heard of Gleeson.

If you read the ROTJ novel, Jerjerrod comes across a lot like what Gleeson sounds like according to the call sheets MSW has. I mean, I do think Gleeson sounds a lot like Tarkin. But think about this: from what we hear, Gleeson doesn't fire on a planet of innocents just to test his weapon. He does fire the weapon because he thinks he's losing the battle (plus apparently, Kylo is ordered to by "Uber" and then Gleeson actually does the deed). He then somehow gets from the weapon down to the castle, and either is killed when the castle explodes or escapes the explosion, this isn't clear in the call sheets.

21. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Yup, that's him. The blue eyes, that blemish under his left cheek, and his slightly larger right ear, give it away.

22. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, as I've not really been paying attention to Gleeson's character, I hope he's not done in one if the speculation is correct. That was one of the things that always bugged me about Tarkin. It was interesting to see a military villain in the Star Wars universe (wars and that), so if Gleeson is something akin to Tarkin mixed with a little more than a bit of dark side arts and propoganda, I hope he sticks around for at least two films.

24. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

He's wearing an officer's great coat with belt.

It's pretty obvious what they based the look on:

[​IMG]

25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    https://nerdist.com/domhnall-gleeson-discusses-ex-machina-and-star-wars/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.