main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    we know he's the guy in the front.

CairnsTony likes this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It looks like he has the First Order insignia on the sleeve of his coat. Almost makes his uniform look like the Red Skull's from Captain America: The First Avenger.

4. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Not surprising as they are both have the same source. Red Skull wore a slightly modified SS uniform and the First Order uniforms are also based on the SS.

5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Both costumes are based on Nazi Germany.

6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Slightly off topic, but speaking of uniforms based on Nazi uniforms, in Deathly Hallows Part 1, the non-Death Eater/Snatchers/ Ministry workers' uniforms looked like exact replicas of the Nazi uniforms, caps and all, only they were blue instead of brown.

But yes, you're right about the influence on both Red Skull and the First Order. (HYDRA, I believe in the MCU, started off as part of the SS itself).

7. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I must say, I do not like the satiny finish on Hux's uniform.

I do however like the jacket and agree with the Nazi uniform comments. Invokes a bit of Major Toht from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

8. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2015
    The First Order definitely look very smart, everything is nice and stylish and clean. Sure beats the Jedi peasant look!

9. KDC1972

KDC1972 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 7, 2005
    I was just looking at the parade ground photo again, it stands out to me that the First Order formations are sloppy. I know I am bringing my real world perspective in to it but no cover and alignment--some guys standing at parade rest others at some sort of modified attention, not true military formations but more of a group standing around "looking military". Likely a case of it being a bunch of extras who don't know how to stand in formation than anything I suppose.

I wonder if it is more though, a group at the very early stages trying their best to look "empire-like" but not quite knowing how to do it.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Gonna share my honest opinion here. He looks extremely bland and generic. Not saying his character will be, but the look is hardly inspiring or menacing.

Maybe he was modeled after Hans from Frozen?

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes, the obvious Waffen SS homage with Hux is even more obvious now. He looks like a younger Tarkin actually, at least a little bit.

12. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    He better not be. I still haven't forgiven that sideburned A-hole.
    [​IMG]

13. Jemik_Prenn

Jemik_Prenn Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2014
    I need this Jacket...I need this whole uniform...

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    GENERAL HUX

This powerful figure from The First Order is played by Domhnall Gleeson, and
    little is known about his plans or motivations. He’s eager to reveal them,
    however. (Even if Abrams is not.)

Hux is young for a general, according to the filmmaker, who says that in this
    scene the military leader stands in his command center, longing to reveal the
    full might of The First Order’s military power to an unsuspecting galaxy.

His name doesn’t have the same meaning as the others. In fact, it’s hard for
    Abrams to remember the origin, although he thinks it came to him during the long
    storytelling walks he would take with co-screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan (who
    previously penned The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

“Larry and I would walk all over the place when we were breaking the story, and
    we would record our conversations,” Abrams says. “We were walking through a
    cemetery that’s near the Bad Robot offices, and we would often, as we were
    talking about characters, sort of just be glancing at names to see if any of
    them stuck. I don’t believe that Hux came from there, but it may have.”

An online search of the cemetery database FindAGrave didn’t turn up anyone named
    Hux buried in the vicinity of Santa Monica, but the character identifier may
    also have come from a portion of a name they saw – or it may simply be a new
    Star Wars legend.

Another villain in The Force Awakens, Captain Phasma, has a much more definitive
    namesake, as you’ll see.

15. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Menacing, very cool :cool:

16. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    So, according to J,J Hux is deliberately "too young" for a general?

17. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    That jacket.....

[​IMG]

18. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    He does look very Cumberbatch-y and seems to be styled similarly too. I can imagine this is the role Cumberbatch almost had.

19. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Both Hux and Ren are very young to be galactic leaders. I wonder if they killed some Moffs to get the forces necessary for their plans.

20. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    If the First Order has to have a hidden base, things figure to be a little rougher for them than in back the Empire days. Less bureaucratic militaries are much more likely to promote faster without strict time-in-grade regulations. The Rebel Alliance promoted people for showing up.

He still looks pretty young, he could be a political appointee or some kind of genius tactician.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Spy Vs Dog

Jan 25, 2004
    ...but then the First Order has a fairly well-funded look to it. Maybe they're a special division within a larger force.

I hate to go back to the WW2 references, but maybe we're seeing the SS Order of the new Empire. Way too many connections to assume it isn't intended.

Which would then make Hux the equivalent of Himmler...which would explain Hux's age as Himmler actually was awfully young himself (younger than Gleeson is now at the time he took command of the SS). So I guess Phasma and/or Ren would be the Heydrich.

22. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Gleeson could be playing a few years older. And in regards to Kylo Ren....well, Vader became Vader at age 22 or 23. [face_dunno]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I like his coat. Personally, I'm not expecting much from his character, but a good actor can make even small roles memorable. We'll see.

24. Spy Vs Dog

Jan 25, 2004
    I don't expect much either. Aside from the easy Himmler and Tarkin comparisons, I think he's your token heartless military subcommander who helps move the story along when you need some quick information about what the bad guys are doing.

25. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Yes, but still rather young. Could they have taken over with a Star Wars version of Night of the Long Knives?

Lando Swarm and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.